1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

wow, agents have more pull than i thought!

2. bongman

bongman Member

I hope this provides more perspective to those armchair GM's that think trading for players or even resigning your own is not as simple as it seems

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Except that Fegan works for Dwight. Cutting deals for other clients to agree to allow Dwight to go where he wants is bush league. If I were Dwight I'd fire his ass. It's a complete conflict of interest for Dwight to have Fegan negotiating contract outs for players on Dwight's future team.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So help me out here.... I don't understand why Howard would even care about Fegan wanting him to be in Dallas. I guess I just don't understand the role of the agent in this situation. If his client made it clear he wanted to be in Houston then how does he go about telling Houston that they need to let Parsons out of his deal early in order to get Dwight to sign there. Does that make sense?

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I have no idea why or how Dwight can be ok with this. If true, what did he get out of the deal? If anything he lost something because trading Chandler could have gotten the Rockets closer to a title. Fegan was not acting in the best interest of his client if what Clutch said is true.

6. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Chandler was giving Dallas props early in the season - now certain it was a lead up to the move this offseason.

7. SuraGotMadHops

I may hate Fegen more than this guy...

[​IMG]

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sucks, but at the end f the day getting Dwight was worth it.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Follow the money trail...agents and agency's can last only as long as their players they invest in make serious dough. This is why it is so hard to be an agent. So much competition and essentially an agent goes through so many busts before getting a cash cow. Relativity is showing other agents that even midlevel players can make you money(ala. Chandler Parsons).

10. bmd

bmd Member

Because Houston doesn't know Dwight's preference. Fegan has the leverage in saying meet our demands or we'll sign somewhere else.

In essence, Fegan may have been bluffing.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Does anybody else notice that both Dwight and Parsons can opt out in 2016? Oh no... :(

I am already concerned that the 2016 free agency will be very interesting.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Agencies pamper and stroke the egos of their biggest prizes(ie Dwight, Amare etc) all the time. They make it a point to be involved in the lives of players and their families(mom, dad, siblings, wife, etc). If a player needs a car detail, they call their agent to take care of things. Forget something at home and its game day, call the agent and they'll take care of it. Sure Dwight may have thought Houston was a good fit(playing with young Harden vs an older Dirk/older Kobe), but I can guarantee you that Fegan was talking to Dwight's family about trying to keep him in LA(it would have netted him the most money.) He then saw a situation where he could net another one of his clients a lot of money(a 2nd round kid playing on a bargain basement contract). Using Dwight as leverage to get Parsons out of his contract was the hammer Fegan held over Morey/The Rockets. I am sure there are other provisions that will be exercised behind the scenes at a later date, but Parsons' contract helped Fegan land a lot of money for Relatvity Sports. Fegan could give two ish where these guys play...(ofcourse unless he,the agent, doesnt like the GM.)

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We still got two years of prime Howard. After 2016, who knows at what level he can play at?

Good riddance to Chandler. What an assortment of guys they have now on their team. That must piss off Chandler more. Actually Chandler's image is going the way of Dwight's kookiness more and more while the real Dwight has become more serious about his career.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great article, Clutch. And ballsy, too! Now we know why this site will be closed on October 1st, Morey is going to yank Clutchfan's press credentials for this article. ;)

The only part I disagree with on the article is that this was Morey's only mistake. Hindsight being 20 / 20, he should have signed Lowry and then signed and traded for Ariza, instead of chasing Melo. Then we would have already had our 3rd and 4th options, without giving up future assets (if the 3rd option even comes available). That being said, I'm still a Morey fan, he just had one bad game.

1 person likes this.
  15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

What a way for Parson's career at DAL to start though.

Everyone agrees he doesn't deserve the max. He gets left out of the USA team. Everyone knows the celebrated tiff with Harden that he's just a role player. Conclusion: he's just a role player.

16. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Why would Cuban be fined for an agreement made by another front office?

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

So basically we got Dwight and Ariza on a team friendly contract than having to pay Chalder Parsons 15 million a year and having absolutely no flexibility at all for the rest of Dwight's contract to make moves to improve the team. I say we did better with going with Ariza.

As hard as Cuban and Fegan try to mess with Morey, yet he is still the smartest guy in the room.

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I found it hilarious that Cuban was saying how much he valued Parsons from the get go and Parsons was saying how Dallas views him as a superstar when the only reason Dallas went after Parsons was when they struck out on Melo, LeBron, and Bosh.

Heck, Dallas even wanted Loul Deng before moving their target to Parsons. At the end of the day, Cuban just wanted to stick it to Morey by taking Parsons but in the process he totally looks like a fool and messed up Dallas' remaining years with Dirk.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

The last couple of years, Parsons was no doubt really pissed off at himself and his old agent for having signed a contract that, while smart at the time, ended up handcuffing him. To be a starter on a very good NBA team, yet earning less than a million a year had to be eating at him.

I'm not surprised he fired the agent and went with Fegan. And I do think he ultimately wanted to stay with the Rockets and Fegan probably had him convinced that Morey would match the Mavs' offer -- when in reality Fegan knew there was no way the Rox would match a contract like that one. Chandler's butthurtedness was misdirected at the Rockets and should be pointed directly at Fegan and Cuban. CP knows this, but would look like an idiot if he said so in public, so instead he says he was hurt that we didn't resign him.

Bottom line:

The only way Parsons is worth that kind of money is if he improves quite a bit. Yet he played his third year at about the same level as his second, and is 25 years old. The odds of Parsons making any more than small incremental improvements are not very good, and Morey knows this. Getting Ariza at half the price was a dazzling recovery after Fegan screwed us with that contract, and that shows how good a GM Morey really is.

1 person likes this.
  20. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

None of this is true. Dallas never went after Bosh and Deng was their backup plan for Morey matching.