1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notebook Dump: Reflections on Dwight Howard, Morey, Asik and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I really, really want you to take like 5 minutes to think about this response and whether or not it makes any sense. Because right now you are literally arguing that because Jeremy Lin is not a superstar that you can't say his performance was hampered by injury.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

#$%^&*&^%$... where did I say ANYTHING AT ALL about being a superstar? I am saying with an even worse injury and still averaged 17/12. Those are still elite numbers and he was in what I considered a worse situation than Lin. Lin ended the season with a mediocre 13/6 and was up and down for much of the time. It has nothing about being superstar. It is a point of production. To try to compare Lin's mediocre production while recovering from injury to Howard's arguably elite production is asinine.

3. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Dumbass Lin fans... I'm just going to ignore you actually. I don't even care what your response is.

4. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Excellent write-up, as always, Clutch. You're the bee's knees! But thanking us? Really? That's like God says, "Thank people it's Friday!" Well, not really, but you get the idea..

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I'm probably the only person who think Lin will here long enough to sign his next contract with Rockets.

The reason is simple: Lin is the only role player who is capable of making millions in endorsements. He will sign for less if chooses to play on a contender.

A two-week Asia trip in the summer will more than make up the difference.

BTW, GREAT READ, Clutch!

6. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

The argument being made was that Lin was returning from injury and not at 100%, and that's why he performed so poorly in the beginning and put up much better numbers at the end.

Your response, now stated twice, is that Dwight Howard also had an arguably worse injury and he still produced elite numbers.

You aren't refuting the first argument at all. All you're saying is that Dwight Howard recovers from (different) injuries better and/or performs at a higher level than Lin. No one can objectively prove the former and no one is even remotely arguing the latter.

Who are you arguing with? What are you even arguing about? Why are you having such an extreme, knee-jerk irrational reaction to a perfectly valid point about Lin's performance last year?

OK, well, I tried.

/shrug

7. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JU-OycAb_Lg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I've been following Jeremy forever and I don't remember a single instance where he's "one of the first to welcome a new player."

The only time I've seen him welcoming new players was when he tweeted about how sad he was seeing players leave:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Really sad to see Kmart and JLamb go...both class acts and great teammates. Welcome Harden, Cook, Aldrich and Hayward to Houston!!</p>&mdash; Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) <a href="https://twitter.com/JLin7/statuses/262398256049422336">October 28, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Jeremy cherishes friendships. Besides, for all we know Howard hasn't signed yet.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Well done Clutch!! Kinky tips his hat to you....;)

^^^^^ This is the icing on the cake!!!:grin:

10. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Why isn't this thread sticky-ed??

Anyone else think it's awkward to openly welcome a new center when the one who fought hard with you for a full year is still with the team and obviously not amused? Maybe Jeremy is just not as insensitive as some others. He's a very considerate person, at least from this fan girl's point of view :)

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Clutch! You surprised me!

Best article by a long long way that I have read on the whole Dwight2Houston saga. I really think you left those faux journalist eating dust.

It was comprehensive, yet succinct. Insightful but not too speculative. Your tone hit all the right notes.

I'm very impressed and tip my hat to you.

More "notebook dump" articles like this please!

Thank you! :)

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I've been following the Rockets since the 22-win streak. It's been pride and heartbreak all mixed together following those AB/Lowry/Luis/Chuck teams. The Rockets have always made me proud of them even those struggling years. So it'll feel a little strange being favorites this time, but I agree, IT'S OUR TIME.

Thank you, clutch, for running the best Rockets forum in the world. Let the FUN begin ...

13. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

BUMP because Clutch *foolishly* hasn't stickied yet.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great write up.

This is as excited as I've been for longer than I can remember. The potential of a championship run has me jacked like I was in the Barkley years, or the Yao T-Mac era. Let's just hope this team reaches it's potential, exceeds or meets all expectations.

No, Morey isn't done assembling this team. Something will happen in the positive again to upgrade this roster, it's just a matter of when.

Clutch, I'm with you, we as Rockets fans deserve this. We've stuck by this orginization through all, good and bad. I could go through every era after the championship years, but I won't. We all know what has happened over the last 18 years or so. All of the sudden, there is so much hope, it seems to have erased all the negative in the lean years.

I'm also excited to share whatever the future may bring regarding this team with the ClutchFan diehards and everyone that contributes to this site. So Clutch, thank you. As fans, you've given us something that cannot possibly be communicated enough on how much your hard work and this site is appreciated.

I know I'm off the beaten path a bit, but it feels like we've been on this ride together for many years and it's now coming full circle. The very real possibility that this team contends for a championship has me full of emotion and excitement. The new era starts now and I'm looking forward to every moment of it.

15. basketballholic

Nothing left to add except.....it seems like you are pushing for Parsons to play out that 4th year. That's an interesting concept. Perhaps Morey lets him try restricted free agency next year before re-signing the one-year tender so they can both flavor the market and Morey can pay him more per season for 5 than he would get for 4?? Twill be interesting to see what happens there.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a great read. Looking forward to the next podcast as well!

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I wonder if there is any chance of reworking his contract earlier just to keep him. Otherwise, don't know if we want to risk letting Parsons go to the market and getting some outrageous offer that he can't help but accept, either that or a poison pill in return. I know some teams were pretty bitter about what we did.

18. justinh

justinh Member

awesome piece. im going to use this to attempt to help persuade my buddy and long time rockets fan to warm up to the idea of rocket dwight.

19. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Great point. I don't know why he made this tweet though if he never welcomes players via twitter. Maybe since he just signed a big contract with the Rockets and he thought he would be a here for a while? Either way it's no big deal. I think Clutch is stretching a bit too much and wants to start something ;)

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

I don't think parsons qualifies for the poison pill... I think it's restricted to second year players but I could be wrong.

Also, no way fegan let's parsons sign a deal without testing free agent market, unless Morey goes way over market value for parsons, which I don't think he will.