1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notebook Dump: Reflections on Dwight Howard, Morey, Asik and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2013.

1. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

great article clutch! way to put the last few weeks in a nutshell...more articles and more podcasts please!

2. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Just want to say, Thank you, Clutch! You've built the best fan site in my opinion. I've enjoyed CF immensely and come to love this community.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Come to think of it, we've 'stolen' players from NY (Lin), OKC (Harden), and LAL (Howard). At one point or another, those cities' fanbases have gotten angry at us.

It's just FUN, FUN, FUN

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The ending gave me goosebumps - loved the whole thing.

DD

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ditto! Really looking forward to the next podcast! Future is bright! :cool:

6. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

As much as I hated AK from his Jazz days I would have to agree with this. He is a hard nosed defender that has been always a darling of advanced statistics (might already be on Morey's radar).

On the flip side, AK is clearly aging. He has shown a steady decline and now that he is over 32 any chance of rejuvenation is unlikely. He is a good pickup if the salary is low enough though.

7. ERC

ERC Member

What is with you and "jealousy"? First McHale was holding Lin back because he was jealous of Lin's fame, now teams wouldn't sign Lin because they were jealous of Morey and the Rockets?!?! :mad:

A coach's job is to win, and a GM's job is to build the best team possible to win (or worst team possible to tank for a high lottery position). Not saying coaches & GMs always make the right/best decision, but why would a GM pass on a chance to make his team better just because of "jealousy"?

Thank goodness you are neither a coach nor a GM. :p

8. conquistador#11

ak 47 to the rockets makes so much sense. make it happen, maury. offer him another wife and some cash consideration.

It still feels surreal having dwight on the roster. I can't even land him on my 2k13.

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

i second this. does make a lot of sense.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

No, you are correct.....kinda

The provision Morey used to get Asik and Lin was only available because of the circumstances of their original contracts. Parsons will not be eligible to receive that sort of contract offer.

and btw... the Poison Pill Provision is NOT what Morey used. That only applies to first round picks.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88

He used the Gilbert Arenas Provision http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

as suspected

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Rejoice!!! Great article!!! Thank you!!!

13. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Another great article from Clutch - city doesn't know what it has going here!!

Some forget Jeremy had a slow start due to his knee problems so I expect he will start the year off very well. I am in the keep Asik & Lin camp, and keep adding shooters to the roster.

Thanks clutch - kitty jar is next.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Solid article. I think Clutch identifies a lot of key issues.

Jeremy Lin:

Question is can he
    A: Hit the 3 point shot at a rate that really opens the floor up more for everyone else (40%).
    B. Can he be content with that being his primary role for long stretches, and then being able to use his secondary talents when Harden is on the bench?

Harden:
    A. Can he continue to develop his game and become a true crunch time performer. Too many times he failed here to deliver. Ok for a young player, but until they prove they can handle the tough physical defenders that a Miami or SA will throw at you, it's a question mark.
    B. Can he become a better facilitator of getting his team mates involved. Sometimes he forces that shot up, and gets the call at times, but would it be better if he could get a few more assists off his drives and open things up a bit more? I still think he is very young in this regards.

Dwight Howard:
    A. Will he stay healthy?
    B. Can he evolve offensive and develop scoring potential like he wants. He'll have to hit FT's and that is a big big question mark if he wants to be a go-to guy.

Parsons:
    A. Is he approaching a ceiling or is it that the ceiling can't hold him?

Powerforward:
    A. Can any 4 stretch the defense by consistently hitting a 15 foot / 3 point baseline jumper? Anyone?

Team Defense:
    Can McHale make it better next year? A lot better?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't doubt for a second that he wouldn't love to do just that. However, Clutch owns and runs his own company, has a family with kids, like many of us, and incredible demands on his time, and that's before doing podcasts, doing reporting himself on the Rockets with the press access he has now (and many of you have no idea what a big deal that is), writing his columns and countless other things that make this the best sports site on the planet, regardless of the sport, and keeping this now huge BBS running. And he does that because the Rockets and this place are his passion (well, maybe excepting Mrs. Clutch!). This column is just an example of what he could do all the time, given the chance. Oh, and I don't think the quality would suffer a bit.

When I read a cutting comment directed towards him by some fool on the BBS, well, let's just say that the fellow is lucky he's not standing in front of me. He'd lose his hearing for a week and go into a state of shock, stumbling towards a door looking for whatever passes as a Jazz fan site in confusion.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's a pretty cruel treatment. Desrved, yes, but oh so cruel. I wonder if the Lovely Clutchess or the Clutchettes would approve? Think of them, sir, think of them!

17. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Great read. I agree with the points about Lin, but I wouldn't put too much thought into Lin not welcoming Dwight on Twitter. He's not very active on Twitter, and I don't recall him welcoming Harden on Twitter either.

I'd love to keep Omer, but I don't think it's very possible. He obviously wants to be a starter and he's proven to be capable of it.

18. butterball

butterball Member

I was never excited about acquiring Lin. When Linsanity happened, I didn't watch any of it. Last season, I was what you might call a LOH. A few days ago, I watched some of his play for the Rockets and sort of changed my mind.

His stock is at a low right now and I think it would be smart to load up on it. Last year was basically his rookie year and injury was part of the reason for his performance. I would like to keep both him and Asik.

19. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Don't give yourself a label as a LOH. You had doubts about Jeremy Lin and you felt he didn't fit the agenda of the team. It doesn't mean you "hated" him. Hell, they'd run out of tags to give for me before I got through many of my doubts of players in the NBA today.

Lin has nothing to show for himself besides an amazing stretch, and a solid but sub-par year of basketball. A disappointing playoff series where an injury yet again cut his aspirations short. There are still question marks that need to be answered, and hopefully he answers them for us. Let's hope we get a PG that can help us win, I'm just one of the guys hoping that it's Lin.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Being realistic it will take 2 or 3 years to reach nba finals but thanks to DMV for pulling off the heist. Just left LA and people r indifferent or pissed. I told them you always get the girl this time she looked long term and ignored ur money