1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Knicks getting Melo and Amare was just bad management. Those guys didn't play defense before they got there and they still don't.

As far as the Nets go they are in no worse of a position this year than they were last and actually they are in a slightly better one. They still have a shot at getting Howard and that's because they have DWill. However, if they realize they have no shot at getting Howard they can still trade him to someone like us for Lowry/Scola and unprotecting the pick they got from us. The risk they took by making the trade is very small especially when you factor in that they can still get pretty good value for Williams this year if they want to.

2. Defy9

Defy9 Member

If Lowry keeps playing like he is now then no way - I love that guy :)

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Let me repeat myself if we give up Lowry in order to acquire D.Will there is no way we are able to then make a trade for Bynum.

However if we can somehow pry D.Will out of New Jersey without giving up lowry.......then there is potential for a lowry+ picks for howard deal. Although I think both are highly unlikely.

4. startah

startah Member

voted No.. heck after trading this team heart (Chuck Hayes) are we also trading our Soul (Kyle lowry) hope not...

Forever il hate Morey for treating his players as just an Asset...

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Morey didn't treat T-Mac or Yao like assets. He is treating role players like role players normally get treated.

6. mazinger

mazinger Member

Chuck wasn't traded, he just wasn't resigned since a situational player is not worth what he's getting paid. We're a much better without him and having a real center. We'd be marginally better with Williams too over Lowry. But I'd only do it if Williams signs an extension OR we Land another big time player.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I thought Williams signing an extension was assumed in this scenario, there is no way Morey would trade Lowry for him without an extension.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Only if he agrees to an extension

9. arjun

arjun Member

...ur acting like lowry is playing THAT much better than dwill...HES NOT

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not really a wash, because you ended up worse players and a worse salary cap situation.....unless you want to tank.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Quite simple to me. You need stars to win in this league. No one on this roster is going to be a star. We are rebuilding anyway, or at least SHOULD BE. So get the star and start over. And it never hurts to have that star be the PG, especially under the current NBA rules. I still think D-Will is arguably the best PG in the league when he cares. Him and CP3 are the only ones that can set you up, score, HIT JUMPERS CONSISTENTLY and play defense.

12. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

u read my mind ;):p

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

No but Lowry is playing for much cheaper, is younger, and there is the potential that he continues to improve even more. Both Nash and Billups had careers where they were not all stars, and even considered potential busts early on. Nash was booed early in his career and Billups went from Boston to Toronto to Denver to Minnesota before breaking out as a free agent in Detroit in year 7 of his career. It was year 5 for Nash before he averaged double digits in scoring for the first time, and he was traded from both Phoenix and Dallas before becoming an MVP with Phoenix in his second stay there in year 9, and Nash played 4 years of college ball compared to 2 for Lowry.

There is the risk that Lowry might drop in production from where he has been since the all star break last year, but we can't just assume he has hit his ceiling either in his first full year as a starter. It is unlikely he can reach Nash's peak level, but he is already mirroring Billups.

The main question is how will other stars in the NBA see Lowry as far as wanting to play with him if he continues to play at this level all year long? If Williams gets you Howard then you have to make the move, but if Dwight REALLY wanted to play with Deron that much he could go to the Nets as they have Brooks Lopez who assuming he returns healthy would be better than what the Rockets are likely to be able to offer. I don't consider Lowry untradeable, but I do think you need both a contract extension for Williams and at least need to feel like you are the favorite to get Howard or some other superstar player for it to be worth considering. Especially since you will be giving up more than JUST Lowry to get Williams.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Anyway we keep Lowry and trade out Kmart+Scola instead?

15. AFS

AFS Member

Selling our soul for a chance at a big playoff run and some superstars here for the long-term? I'll take it

16. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Only if he signs an extension and he forces the Rockets to change the current uniform and logo combination back to the championship days.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

And you think the teams heart and soul gonna get you a championship?whats our record last year again?

18. 220living

220living Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPKzgmqKSn8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPKzgmqKSn8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

19. AFS

AFS Member

Doesn't make a difference if he can't finish the play.

20. 220living

220living Member

It's going to be alright buddy. I just posted that video because of Terry's ankle was completely demolished. Lol. It's for entertainment value.