1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin after scoring 38 points vs. Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 10, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

It's just how Lin is as a person. No matter how well he does, if the team loses he always believes he could have done more. And even when he wins, he always believes he needs to improve.

That's aside from him being hyper-competitive. He really, really dislikes losing.

2. ERC

ERC Member

There's probably no such thing as "fans who are fair" lol, but I was talking about a game at home (at MSG) though. Rarely do you see players getting boo'd loudly at home. NY fans were chanting "Fire D'Antoni" and booing Melo, but they were really quiet when Lin had his TOs.

Not a huge Melo fan myself, but I've gotta said at the time I felt bad for him.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lets just hope he can keep it up..well if he can keep THAT up then we all should be really excited.

Whether it is just the Coaches learning more about Lin (Most likely)
    Lin not being Aggressive enough with Harden on the court (Kinda likely)
    Or Harden just being mean and keeping Lin down (least likely)

Lets just hope it is solved either way. It's one game...but I kind of feel this is on the coaches more and more. These two were playing just fine the first two games.

Maybe this game will at least lengthen Lin's leash, if the coaches can't get these two playing fluidly together I'm going to look at them first. Both of these guys are good guys who put team first always.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

The coaches took Lin out of the game early after he made two three pointers. Then again later in the fourth when he was in the flow.

Would this break the rythym of Lin, or any great players?

5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who says the coaching staff doesn't like Jeremy Lin is kidding themselves. It's obvious from every interaction you see and from their interviews that they're rooting for the kid to succeed. Maybe they're not the best at putting him into the best places to succeed, but tonight was a prime example of Jeremy doing well for himself when he's aggressive (even as TD and Parsons shared the ballhandling duties with him). When Jeremy allows himself to become a spot-up shooter, he is (deservedly) benched for someone who can contribute more off the ball. When Jeremy attacks the rim, he becomes a strong part of this offense (like he has been, especially towards the beginning of the year).

Reading conspiracies like "Daryl Morey is on thin ice, and is therefore forcing McHale to play Harden more so he looks good" makes me cringe and lose faith in the intelligence of the human race. You guys also do realize that Daryl made the decision to sign Lin as well, and therefore also has the incentive to see him do well? Everyone is in this to get the most wins possible, it reflects better on the GM, the coaches, and the players to do so.

Your reaction to tonight's game shouldn't be "it was good that Harden didn't play because now Lin has the ability to maximize his individual stats under an evil coaching staff that's plotting against his success", it should be "Good, Jeremy Lin has finally come out of his slump, is regaining confidence, and will hopefully feel more comfortable attacking the rim when he gets his touches."

This is a Rockets forum. As someone who has stood up for LOFs from day one, seeing comments that undermine the organization, and comments that you hope Lin will be traded so he'll be more successful elsewhere makes me cringe. When Yao Ming was drafted, it brought a ton of fans who were in it just to see Yao play. Ask anybody around: all sane, intelligent Rockets fans grew to love Yao Ming as a player. The Yao-only-fans became good Rockets fans as well (some of them are still here). The same can happen with Lin. I think that a player should be judged for his actions and not his fans, but sometimes people have a hard time separating the two. If you love Jeremy Lin, don't be an irrational dick about it. It will go a long way in making sure other people also grow to love him as a Rockets player, and it would sure as hell create a lot more rational discussion on this board.

Lin will be a fine player for the Rockets. Harden is still and should be still our number one option, but they both possess the skills to co-exist, even if they're not showing it 20 games into their first season together (with no training camp or pre-season to prepare).

#105 SC1211, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    5 people like this.
  6. Luca

Luca Member

Well said.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Nice, post, and I agree, but to make you feel better (hopefully), I think for the most part true Lin fans are pretty quiet and just want him to get a fair shake and opportunity to play before getting ripped. I do think that there are a few trolls pretending to be Lin fans who intentionally say negative things about Harden and the organization just to try to get people to hate Lin.

8. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I would rep you if I could. Thanks for your post.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

His tone reflects how much more he values the team's win than his own great performance. :)

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll rep him. Great post!

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

This. I have said this like a 1000 times. People need to stop with the player only fan nonsense. Either your a good poster, decent poster or on my ignore list. I could careless if you are a Cook Only Fan. What you bring to the board in terms of insightful constructive posting is all I care about.

12. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

38 points will be the most points Lin scores this year in a single game. The guy sucks, but at least he's making millions so we don't have to feel bad for him.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

It seems like he had a different mindset, knowing Harden was out. Same thing in NY where he had to prove he was the guy with the all-stars out. He just went to work and was aggressive. Earlier in the season everybody felt getting Harden took the pressure off of Lin. That might be true, but I guess Lin needs the pressure to perform. We need this aggressive guy now every night and it's up to the coaches to let him and Harden work together. It's obvious though that Lin needs the OK to be the man every night, even with Harden there.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're a troll aren't you?

15. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Yes! Please trade Lin.

16. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Not sure that will help; may actually make things worse.

Somewhere else I read that there was a reason Lowry wanted out last season. Lin is obviously not happy right now and i don't think he has looked happy since the beginning of the training camp. There is something to be said about that. His face says it all- there is no joy in it and playing with joy with the whole team involved was what made Linsanity special last season.

Of course, tonight's game is a heart wrencher to lose. Really thought we had a chance to win it. Lin, being a super competitive guy, probably already feeling aweful and then to be questioned/blamed by the coach for that last possession can only make it worse for him...

17. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Sometimes the coaches say the most dumbest thing. McHale should not have questioned the last play in regulation play especially to the media. Lin already felt bad about it. He should discuss with Lin after the game or when reviewing the tape.

18. ERC

ERC Member

38pts on 52.4% shooting, 80% from downtown, & 12-of-12 freethrows = this guy sucks? :confused:

Knicks fan?

19. ERC

ERC Member

Agreed, besides, he could've/should've run a play for Lin (or TD, Delfino, etc.). If the last possession were in the Spurs hands, Popovich would definitely call a time-out and come up with something for Parker or Green.

20. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Lol. Hater gonna hate