1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] If there’s an ‘idiot’ here, it’s Charles Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Cutchowned!!!

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"I love the Oklahoma City trade. I think that trade made them better. I’m a Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb fan. I like that trade a lot for them." - Charles Barkley

More disguised Rockets hate right here. Does anyone believe Charles even knew who Jeremy Lamb was at the time (or now)? Yeah, I'm sure he watched tons of film and read up on a player who had not even played an NBA game yet and who wasn't even a top ten pick.

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s like he doesn’t know that teams use analytics to fill out their roster with the most efficient players. If he doesn’t know that Morey has been saying for years that he thinks a team needs three stars to win, then what is he doing as an “analyst”? The numbers are used to evaluate all players. It’s obvious that he doesn’t know how to do research, though it doesn’t matter because he doesn’t know what the numbers mean. Does the fact that he had a natural instinct for grabbing rebounds make him an authority on anything? I think what’s funniest about it is when Ernie read Morey’s tweet, you can tell that Barkley got all flustered and couldn’t keep his ideas in order so he reverted to childish name calling.

The worst part is that while TNT should actually be embarrassed by this, it’s the kind of nonsense they pay him to do.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There are some defensive stats that can be misleading, of course. If you hold your opponents to an average of 98 PPG, that's really good....unless of course you only score an average of 96 yourself. Then that just means you're a slow team that doesn't attempt a lot of shots.

Also, you could have a bunch of players who average a lot of steals(which the Rockets do), but that doesn't mean much if in the process you're always gambling and allow easy penetration and give up a ton of points in the paint. Or if you defend really well against the 3-pointer, but have horrible interior defense. Or vice versa.

But the Rockets have played 52 games now. If you watch their games and look at all their stats, you'd have to be a moron to conclude that they're a poor defensive team. Even without Dwight, they've done a pretty decent job on that end of the floor most of the season.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

At no point did he make any mention of our 2-time defensive player of the year sitting out... Immediately turned to the people I was watching the game with and made a point to say that it was an ignorant statement... Saw Morey's tweet, then saw Charles reaction... wow..

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Great article Clutch.

As I said in the other thread. I used to find Barkley entertaining years ago. He seemed less bias then. But now he just sounds like a full on idiot while thinking he is an amazing NBA analyst.

Just stick to kissing donkey butts Chuck

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is ownage. I forgot he flopped so hard on the Harden prediction.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Checkmate!

Clutch you are indeed the man.

Great article

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I really think Barkley got a lot worse with the addition of Shaq. Shaq is pretty childish himself, and he gets under Chuck's skin, and unfortunately everyone suffers for it.

12. CertifiedTroll

It is hard to believe someone could be crappier than Skip Bayless, Charles has reached that point.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope you know this isn't going to help us win the game tonight.

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

The Josh Smith part is missing the link or quote or both.

15. sew

sew Member

Amen. Charles has made himself look like a fool.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Just throwing this out there does Chuck have something against Kevin Mchale? I know they both used to work in TNT and Chuck was with Philly back in the day when coach was killing it with the Celtics? I may be reaching, spewing up nothing really....but I was just curious. If anyone can back this up.....

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I'm telling you, this is just taking advantage of Barkley's dislike for the Rockets to get some analytics discussion going as a lead up to the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference at the end of the month.

We'll soon have a Grantland article summarizing it, and for sure Chuck's comments will be in there as well.

Adds credibility to the conference by having Chuck make a fool of himself

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

He has always said Mchale was the toughest person he has ever played against and gives him props. His beef is with Rockets management

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Chuck can get along with Kenny and Shaq who both knocked him out of the playoffs(and in the case of Shaq, got into a huge brawl with during a game), then I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any lingering bitterness toward McHale. I'm pretty sure his hatred of the Rockets is toward Les and the front office during the late 90's.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Nicely played. Always fun to see idiocy countered by facts.