1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Furkan A! Aldemir could join Rockets next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks for the input!

I've heard similar reports as well. The most common opinion I hear is that he's essentially a 6'9" version of Asik... which is sort of scary to think about.

I dont think the Rockets are viewing him as someone that is NBA ready by any standard. I would assume that he will become a D-League project all year next season, and his upside is viewed as smart energy big off the bench. Maybe they are hoping for a better rebounding version of Nick Collison or a players like Lou Amundson.

With the success Morey has had finding guys over like Beverley, Smith, etc. I feel better about a guy like Aldemir having some success as a role player. As a star in the league, of course... I have my doubts as well.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From what I've seen (which is very little) and read, it looks like he has elite rebounding and good hustle tools. The big issue is whether he can defend the center position for 10-12 mpg against backups. If he can do that, he will be valuable backup.

To me, he looks like a very low ceiling guy (backup center is his upside), but it seems like he has a good chance at becoming that.

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

why isn't he getting more minutes in Turkish league and Eurocup?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His team has a veteran center.

5. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Nice, we got Chuck Furkan Hayes!

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

His plays bigger than the listed size according to some reports. He shows elite rebounding and very good defense in Europe. If 6"6' Hayes can be a solid center, Furkan should have a legit chance.

He's considered a first round talent by multiple analytical experts predraft last year.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's Chuck Hayes but three inches taller. Oversized Chuck Hayes!

8. Asian Sensation

Can this Furkan guy replace Royce White?

9. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Because all players from overseas are the same, right? Idiot.

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

And Motiejunas will be a solid player in a year or two.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen him play.

He can play C in the modern NBA.

He is a bit stiff and I doubt he ever becomes a starter, but can play a role for the Rockets similar to what Asik did in Chicago.

You essentially get a backup center in the second round.... not bad at all, and saves on the cap situation.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Unless he comes in scoring 25 pts, 20 rebs, 8 blks and 5 asts per game, he's a scrub and will NEVER be nothing! :rolleyes:

"DMo will never be nothing!!!"

Some people are such tards smh....

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"And hopefully with less grabbing of other people's crotches."

That's a good bullet point to have on a resume for sure. :p

14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

He's strictly a 5. 10/1 odds says he will out hustle and out muscle at least 27 backup Centers on current rosters. If he has no hops, but all will, he will defend good while Asik is sitting. I think DMo will improve significantly in the offseason with strength training, and they will probably man the backup minutes at the 4 and 5. Chuck Hayes is all muscle and heart, Furkan has 3 inches on CH and probably projects just like him. Look for Morey to release everyone that can be released aside from Bev/Smith, and Jones/White/Robinson will be trade casualties. I think we go into next season with Asik, Smith, Aldemir, Motiejunas and our main FA filling the 4/5, Lin/Bev 1, Harden/pick 2, Parsons/FA at the 3, and 4 minimum/veteran contracts to finish the team.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Andersen was a scrub and DOA fro the get-go. DMo at least shows promise and is very young.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wish we'd cut Royce already, for Furk's sake.

18. 28sinan

28sinan Member

Well, I really doubt it! But I hope he surprises me. If he can do the things our second unit needs I would be the happiest guy here! A lots of people are talking that he can do it but how can u say that? He never played against a "good" Center overseas. People comparing him to O while he was playing back up in Chicago but O was actually playing against NBA Centers and not against some scrubs from europe!

19. 28sinan

28sinan Member

Because the turkish basketball clubs don't give their talented players opportunities until they are like 25.......I mean come on man. You're talking about a player who got drafted and he is not even playing 20 min? It's always the same stuff in Turkey whether it's soccer or basketball......THEY'RE WASTING THE TALENT OF YOUNG PLAYERS!

20. SeabrookMiglla

wtf did they just say? i didnt understand one word of that