1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens craves October run

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tested911, Jan 31, 2007.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't know if this has been posted but ignore if there is.

01/31/2007 9:43 PM ET
    By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Roger Clemens is no closer to deciding where, or if, he'll pitch this season. But he knows when he would want to: October.
    Speaking at a St. John's University sports banquet in New York, baseball's most coveted 44-year-old said that he still loves to compete, but falling short of the postseason -- as his Astros did in 2006 -- is not an option.

"I've got to tell you, you put your body through a lot of punishment and you come up one game short like we did last year, for me, it was a waste of time," Clemens said.

"When you don't have an opportunity to go to the playoffs and have a chance to win, it's a waste of time for me. At this stage and point in my life and career, that's all you're looking for. You want to have that feeling of being in the playoffs."

Clemens has stated that he would only pitch for one of three teams in 2007 -- the Astros, the Red Sox or the Yankees, all of whom have ties close to his heart.

Clemens applauded the Yankees' signing of Andy Pettitte, and kidded the left-hander that he should have inked a three-year contract to ensure his presence for the opening of the new Yankee Stadium.

But as for Clemens' own Bronx return? Clemens said he isn't sold yet, even though he has been coaching Pettitte, a fellow Texan, on a regular basis to fine-tune his New York mindset.

"It won't make it any easier for me to come back," Clemens said. "To do that, I'm going to have to disappear. I'm going to listen [to offers] like I always do, but ... I'm my own worst critic, and I just don't want to let anybody down.

"I'm going to be 45 years old, and I have expectations, too. I expect my body to do certain things. It might not be as crucial if I wasn't a power pitcher."

Clemens' agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, have been passing along semi-regular updates on media speculation. For now, Clemens insists that he has still not made a decision on his future.

"I'm nowhere near ready to play baseball at this time," Clemens said. "I'm in good shape, but I'm nowhere near the type of playing shape that I want to be in if I'm going to try and play another season. That would take another huge commitment on myself."

Clemens said that part of the difficulty in deciding whether to pitch lies within his own personal standards. He believes he can handle the physical stress of another Major League season, but the mental aspect is more daunting.

For a potential playoff contender, there would be no mulligans offered just because of Clemens' advanced age or his late start to the year.

"Mentally, I beat myself up to perform," Clemens said. "Once I do sign a contract to continue to play, they don't care how old I am. They want results, and I want results also."

Forget the devastating splitfinger, at least for the moment. As of late, Clemens' Hall of Fame-bound right arm has been used only to lob hit-me fastballs about 60 feet, six inches.

On Monday and Tuesday, Clemens pitched 45 sweat-soaked minutes of batting practice to Astros Minor Leaguers -- including his son, Koby -- at Houston's Minute Maid Park.

Clemens plans on being in Spring Training with the Astros, part of a personal services contract with the club that he is honoring, and is keeping up with the winter movements of all three teams that he would pitch for.

Beyond that, Clemens knows that there is a very strong possibility that injuries could prompt his telephone to ring in May. But Clemens said he has no intention of pitching that early.

"I think all three clubs are planning on winning, with or without me," Clemens said. "But if somebody goes down and I'm feeling good, I don't know what my decision is going to be yet.

"I hope that they all get off to a great start and I can just fade away, and come and watch some ballgames up here [in New York]. I don't think it's going to happen."

Saying that he believes he can still pitch at a high level, Clemens said his decision to walk away would likely be much easier if not for the phone calls he has received from teammates in New York, Houston and Boston, all urging him to come back for one more year.

"I wish it was an easy decision. I'm failing at retirement," Clemens said. "Let's just face it; I'm failing miserably at it."

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hmm....

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

well take a paycut, and free up some money so the 'stros can sign another bat, so uncle drayton doesn't have to spend more of his money.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Roger, do me a favor: Just be quiet, go disappear and then show up when you are ready to play. Go waste your time somewhere else if that's how you feel about it.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's been stated numerous times by Astros' management that the Clemens money is different from the rest of the budget, based on the numerous revenue-related items he brings to the table when he pitches. If Clemens doesn't sign at all or signs for cheap, it doesn't create any additional money, because his salary is separate.

It really sounds like he's going to go wherever he thinks he has the best chance to win. This, to me, makes it imperative that Garner not waste time by giving Wandy a crack in the rotation (as recent quotes suggest he wants to do). It seems the April games will take on added importance this year, and we need to make sure our best guns are out there to try and prove to Roger that we're in it for the long haul.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Isn't this a clear sign that he won't sign with the Astros? I'm not saying the Astros won't go to the playoffs, but I think he is making the case for his exit to the Yankees before he makes the decision. That's what it sounds like to me.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Amen.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh Roger, won't you hurry up and make your decision? I know I speak for....well, the whole world when I say that your decision, whatever it may be, will have such a PROFOUND impact on all of our lives.

Please hurry, because we all just can't wait, man...

:rolleyes:

9. The Cat

How so? The Yankees aren't necessarily any more of a favorite to make the postseason than the Astros. Do they have a better team? Absolutely, but they play in the AL and the Red Sox are going to be much tougher competition than they were a season ago. It's essentially a tossup between those two, much like it's a tossup with the Astros and Cardinals.

He means what he says. With him not pitching until mid-June, he's got the opportunity to sit around until the end of May and see where the teams are and how they look. That's why it's imperative the Astros get off to a strong start and make their case.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

that means hes' going to the yankees

11. The Cat

Explain.

The Astros have had an "October run" more recently than the Yankees. The Yanks haven't even won a postseaon series since 2004...

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I'm not saying that on the merits the Astros don't have as good a shot at the playoffs as the Yankees. I'm saying that Clemens is laying the groundwork for using the "better shot at winning it all" rationale to go to the Yankees, or Red Sox by talking about this issue *now*. My biggest dream is for him to go to the Yankees and for the Astros to win the World Series without this drama queen, so I wouldn't kill myself if he bolted.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Rocket will sign with the Yanks

who will then proceed to miss the postseason. Some will call it poetic justice.

I will agree.

14. right1

right1 Member

For me, if he can't decide b/t the 'Stros, NY or Boston until midway through the season, I don't want him on my team. Period. There's no loyalty there and there is no TEAM concept. It just about takes all the fun and sportsmanship out of the picture. I'd rather root for 25 or so guys who put on the damn uniform from March through September, worked through spring training, encouraged their teammates and maybe even toiled in the minor leagues all year just for a chance to be added to the playoff roster. I hope Roger Clemens does NOT play for the Houston Astros in 2007 or ever again. I'm tirade of the chirade and I'm tired of what it stands for. I'm a baseball fan and I'm not into the circus.

15. Major

Major Member

When is the last time the Yankees missed the postseason? I think it's pretty obvious that they are much more likely to make the playoffs than the Astros. The Astros don't even have a clear 4th or 5th pitcher right now. We have no idea what our closing situation will look like. The offense should be improved.

The Yankees have the best closer in baseball, and their lineup could have 8 all-stars in it. Their #9 hitter batting 0.342 with 15 HRs last year. Starting pitching has questions, but it has for the past several years, and adding Pettitte helps, as would Clemens.

If given an even-odds bet whether the Yankees or Astros are more likely to make the playoffs, you'd be nuts to pick the Astros.

16. The Cat

I'd completely agree with you if he was planning on making his decision before the season, but he's not. Yes, he's laying the groundwork for using that rationale to leave... in the scenario that those two teams outperform the Astros in the first two months of the season. It's not like he has to make up his mind by how the teams look now, and he's not; he's going to watch how the teams perform early on, and make his decision accordingly. If either the Yanks or Red Sox appear significantly better than the Astros, he'll leave. But the Astros will have their chance to prove themselves as a team, and hopefully they prove worthy.

I don't understand the anger at Roger. He's a free agent, and he's able to explore his options. At his age, I don't blame him for wanting the best chance to win. And it's not like he's hurting the Astros with this delay - the Astros have made it quite clear that they don't have extra money available to sign other FAs if they don't get Clemens. He's a native Houstonian who has done wonderful things for this franchise the last three years. Sure, I wish he were a little less outspoken and less of a drama queen, but it's not enough to override what he's done or not want him to be here.

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I just dislike the guy...I don't know why, but I do.

Although I know he would give the Astros a better chance at winning, part of me wishes he would just go away so we as fans don't have to go through this prolonged drama every single year.

Just shut up or go away, Roger.

Very classy :rolleyes:

#17 tigermission1, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  18. The Cat

When is the last time the Red Sox, Tigers, White Sox and possibly Twins have all had comparable talent to the Yankees? Oh, and if you think adding an aging lefty with an injured throwing arm who struggled to a 4.20 ERA in the weak NL Central last year significantly helps the pitching rotation of a team in the loaded AL East, I have to disagree.

I think it's pretty obvious the Yankees will have a better record than the Astros and a much better overall team than the Astros. But, you have to examine more than that when you're determining postseason chances. You have to examine the context of the situation, and the competition for the Yankees is significantly more difficult than it is for the Astros. In fact, it's not even close.

Also, the Astros have a better rotation than people give it credit for. Nieve's sample size a season ago (about 100 innings) is large enough that it's a reliable indicator of what he's likely to produce, and an ERA in the low 4s is very quality for the #4 spot in the NL. There are question marks after that, but very few NL teams have a fifth starter set in stone.

All in all, though, you're right - the Yankees clearly have a better overall team than the Astros, and if the circumstances were the same, it's a no-brainer for who Roger should pick if he wants the best chance to win. The circumstances, however, aren't even close to the same imo, and that has to be taken into consideration.

19. The Cat

I'd rather try and put the most talented team on the field that gives us the best chance to win a World Series. Every team has a goal first and foremost to win, not to put together the classiest group or to put together the best group to cheer for. It's about winning, and this team has a much better chance to win with Roger Clemens. To me, that's the bottom line.

20. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

He's going to New York, and they will win it all next year, and then he'll retire for good.. maybe..