1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens craves October run

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tested911, Jan 31, 2007.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They have talented kids for sure. Hansen and Delcarmen have potential, especially Hansen. But Timlin has really been falling apart and Tavarez was brutal for them last year. ERA means nothing for a reliever by the way. I forgot they acquired Donnelly. He's certainly a capable guy, but he's also regressed from two years ago when he was really good for the Angels.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

starting pitching is why i think the Sox beat the Yanks this year in the AL East.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

lets not make Julio Lugo out to be Ernie Banks.....its not like Renteria was such a bad option for the Sox....nor wa Loretta (he had an all star year)...Ill give u A Gonz...Lugo is decent....but he isnt such a huge upgrade.....JD Drew is a pulled hammy away from watching half of their games...when healthy, he is a huge upgrade.

As for Bostons pitchers, you are saying that a converted closer and a guy who has neverpitched a year in the majors (let alone the AL) are going to come in and be top of the rotation starters...i think thats a little much no?

You are correct in saying that Pettitte is the only FA upgrade....but he is a proven winner...especially in NY

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Could he? Clemens is in his mid-40s, an age when all but a very few guys have long-since retired. He works his butt off to get into form, and gives it all he's got when he's out there. I don't think he believes he can hold up for a whole season, plus the playoffs, anymore. Nor can he pitch into the 8th inning any longer. He's just not the same pitcher he was 20 years ago. Starting in late May or early June makes alot of sense for a guy of his age, so that he doesn't break down at the end of the season. I don't think you can say we missed the playoffs because of Roger Clemens.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ditto, but I would still take him back.

:D

DD

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're missing the point. It's not that he played only 4 months. It's that in this latest interview, he actually said it was a waste of his time. I don't remember the Astros record the day he re-signed, but I'm pretty sure it was below .500. There was no guarantee that another amazing run was going to happen. There was no guarantee of playoffs. With that in mind, why was it a waste of his time? Was it really necessary to say that? He is a hell of a hard worker and one of the greatest ever. He is also one of the greatest jackasses of all time.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not saying we missed the playoffs solely because of Roger Clemens...not saying that at all. but they all fell short of the playoffs. he started late last season, and that's fine. it's the statement that he "wasted his time" that sticks with me. again, as if he was above it all. that's just crappy.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're letting the version of Lugo with the Astros cloud your judgment. Lugo has been near the top of the league consistently in Range Factor, and in the middle of the pack in Zone Rating. He's made significant strides defensively since his days with the Astros. He's not an elite defender by any means, but he's definitely average if not slightly above average. Disaster isn't true at all.

I also question that Pettitte is an upgrade at all on Wright, much less huge. A 4.49 ERA in the AL East looks more impressive to me than a 4.2 ERA in the weak NL Central. Consider Andy's age and constant arm troubles, and it's likely to get even worse.

The Yankees did have their share of injuries, but so did every team, including the Red Sox. I'm not saying the Yankees don't have a good team, but by the analysis of many experts, Boston is right there with them this season.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So, who is the "ungrateful b****"?

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's cute.

if you don't think that the yankees - year-in and year-out - have a much better chance at making the postseason, including next year.... then i dont know what to tell you.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

definitely agree with Buck, and I'd still take him back, too.. can't help but enjoy it once he's playing. But hate all the BS in between

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A poor way to phrase it. Hopefully it wasn't meant as a slight to his teammates. I do agree with him that the playoffs are the only thing that matters, especially coming off a world series appearance - if you come up short, it is a wasted season, a wasted opportunity. If I was a Hall of Famer and only had a couple of seasons (at most) left in me, then I would also think any season that I didn't get a chance at another ring to be an opportunity wasted. But again, he could have phrased it better.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For somebody who craves October run's, he's put together some mediocre Octobers in recent years.

14. Buck Turgidson

He's an *******, but he's our *******, eh? ;)

DQ's an absolute joy to watch pitch. Too bad his sideshow detracts from that.

15. Buck Turgidson

The Astros also have never won a playoff series without Roy Oswalt & Lance Berkman. Not to mention Eric Bruntlett & Orlando Palmeiro...and about a dozen other guys.

What's your point?

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I don't care if he wants to leave. I said more power to Andy moving on. He's got the right to do what he wants, but to say him playing last year was a waste is a slap in the face of all fans here, his teammates, and the organization that bent over backwards to feed his ego everything it needed for him to come here. If he wants to go to NY, he should just say, "Thanks for the memories in Houston, but I want to finish up my career with the Yanks."

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't care what he does or says. He's dead to me.

18. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

alright...i think roger clemens is one of the greatest pitchers of all time........

now that being said........go @#$% yourself roger....waste of time? i hold roger too high i guess but i for sure dont expect him to say something like that.....yea roger we only missed the playoffs by one game, your right....maybe if your 12 million dollar a$$ played BEFORE the all star game maybe we would have won that one game we needed. oh by the way the team that made it ahead of us ended up winning the world series.

im tired of this whole wait and see mentality. if you want to play roger then shut up and play. if you feel too old then go retire on your ranch and go feed your cattle. just dont downplay the astros organization which has bended over backwards for him and this is the thanks he has given them?

Roger,

make up your mind already. go to the AL where i promise you will get rocked with your buddy andy. go to the team that buys championships not the team that earns it. you want to be classy? play for the classiest organization in baseball not the finacial giant that buys whatever it wants and still cant dominate its own league. Im an astros fan regardless of who plays with us. we have one of the best franchises and we deserve "classy" players to play with us, not some aging pitcher that is worried about his pitch count.

waste of time you say? the only waste of time is me being your fan cause i thought you had more class than that roger.....

19. Buck Turgidson

[cut to a darkened banquet room, deep within the bowels of Union Station. A tall, thin man paces around the circular table where a dozen men sit in rapt attention]

[Drayton] Life goes on. A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms...enthusiasms....What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy?

[Roy] Dozin'!
    [Luke] High-velocity ammo!
    [Craig] Taking it one day at a time!

[Drayton] No...Baseball.

A man...man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what?

For individual achievement. There he stands alone.

But in the field, what?

Part...of...a...team.

Teamwork...looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. lf his team don't field...what is he?

You follow me?

No one.

Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say?

"l'm goin' out there for myself. But...l get nowhere unless the team wins."

[All] Team!
    [Drayton] Team.

[As the group gasps in horror, Drayton bashes Racket's head repeatedly with a Jeff Bagwell model Louisville Slugger]

[Fade]

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I would give up a whole season of going to Astros games if Roger went to either the Red Sox or Yankees and promptly tested positive for steroids.