1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Why the Spurs dealt Scola for virtually nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The other side of the coin...

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2007/07/why_the_spurs_d.html

Many of you have asked and talked about the peculiarity of the Spurs basically handing the Rockets an impact power forward and potential star for cash, a second-round pick and a homesick player (Vassilis Spanoulis) who won't be in the NBA again any time soon.

Well, they did do that.

But the Spurs weren't exactly doing it out of the kindness of their collective hearts.

It looks as if this was a deal that got the Spurs virtually nothing. In truth, they got a lot and continued to show why the organization is among the more forward-thinking in the league.

Originally the Spurs had a deal in place to send the talented Argentine, Luis Scola, to Cleveland. And by the way, I must say had they done that the Cavs could well have taken a huge step toward becoming an Eastern Conference dynasty, considering all their other parts.

When that deal fell through, the Spurs turned to their rivals to the west and helped make the Rockets a lot better. Trust me on that. I've seen Scola up close in the Olympics and love his game. He's better than the Spurs' Fabricio Oberto, but that type of player.

But the Spurs are not four-time title winners because they're dumb. In fact, it could be argued that eventually the Spurs will end up with more significant pieces as a result of this deal.

Ultimately, both teams will be happy. Here's why:

The deal began taking shape shortly after the Spurs decided to take Brazilian center (and Scola's current Tau Ceramica teammate) Tiago Splitter. This kid is a phenomenal prospect as well.

Splitter is a physical player who can score inside and from mid-range, measured 6-11 3/4 at the NBA pre-draft camp two years ago, has a 7-4 reach and is just 22, five years younger than Scola.

Splitter won't be able to buy out his contract until after the 2007-2008 season, which is what the Spurs were looking at when they dealt Scola.

The Spurs could have cleared some money to bring over Scola next season, but as they saw it Splitter was younger, better, a better defender and would cost about the same to sign as Scola.

By including Jackie Butler in the deal and putting in cash considerations, the Spurs will not have to pay Butler's $2.9 million salary next season, nor Spanoulis' $1.9 million. That allows the Spurs to clear a roster spot and be able to better afford signing athletic French big man Ian Mahinmi, their 2005 draft pick, and also free agent swingman and athletic Bruce Bowen-type defender Ime Udoka.

The Spurs' "generosity" helped the Rockets, no doubt. This will be a huge pickup.

But ultimately, Spurs fans are going to love this deal as much or more.

It's going to allow them to bring in the next Bruce Bowen, a project in Mahinmi whose athleticism has been compared to David Robinson's and a younger, taller, better Scola.

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

A Lopez article, figures.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

obviously the spurs are a proven organization. those moves could help them.

but scola will help us NOW. we don't care what the spurs do a few yrs down the line. we have 2 superstars who needed to win now. our PF desperately needed to be addressed. so morey did the right thing. the players/pieces we let go were not gonna help us so it was a win-win situation for both teams.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Darn. Now I feel bad. Looks like the Spurs got the best of us again... I feel USED! :p

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think Splitter may be a better fit than Scola, given that he's more of a C than a PF. The Rockets, on the other hand, need a PF more than a C.

I wouldn't say Splitter is better, however. He is bigger but more limited offensively.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have never, ever, ever heard anybody call Tiago Splitter better than Scola. I think he's reaching there. The fact of the matter is they don't need Splitter to be better than Scola. They don't even need him to be as good. In fact, they're almost better off if he's not as good because then he'll more easily accept a lack of minutes behind Tim Duncan.

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

again even if splitter turns out to be good, scola fits us more. we need a PF. splitter is more of a rugged C.

and again, who cares if it helps the spurs if it also helps us. we desperately needed a PF. :D

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, if this is true, I feel even BETTER about taking Aaron Brooks over Tiago Splitter in the draft.

Daryl Morey is a golden god!!!!!!!

9. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

splitter is better than scola? i'd like to know what he's basing that statement on. until now, all that i had read said scola was the best outside the NBA.

10. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

I posted the rumor about about Ime Udoka in another thread.

From a Blazer blog posted 7/13
    http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/aldridge-on-courtside.html

It appears Ime Udoka has received a very strong offer from the San Antonio Spurs, and could be headed there very soon. Reportedly, the Spurs have offered him a 3-year contract. The Blazers have stated they would love to keep him, but this could be a little too big a deal to try and match. I update you when that becomes official.

If this does happen, I'll be sorry to see Ime go, but will be happy for him. His story should serve as an inspiration to players on the outside looking in. One year ago, Udoka had no idea where he would be playing, and stood a very good chance to not being on an NBA team at all. He was a last-minute invite to Blazers training camp, and was only invited after Aaron Miles failed his physical. Udoka went on to make the most of the situation, and turned into a starter for the Blazers. Now, it appears, he's about to be rewarded with a very, very nice contract. What a dream come true for him, and what an example to other players searching for a break in this business.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

udoka is a very good defensive player. but i remember he pissed tmac off and he became tmac's personal little biotch for the night.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

uhhhhhhhhh the SPurs could've brought all the players they wanted without getting rid of scola, they just got a cheap owner and had to unload salary to do it. If they really wqanted they could have everyone mentioned about + scola.

13. AMD

AMD Member

Lookin at film of both Scola and Splitter, I don't think Splitter is the better player at all. Scola can really help us. Plus don't forget that we also got the Spurs' best summer league player in Jackie Butler. It may be a small piece but he could help backup Yao along with Deke.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can't believe that dork wrote the whole article without mentioning the term "luxury tax", what a dumbass.

15. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

buttler looked good enough to be a sub to me. and he does have a nice touch on his shots.

16. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

The Spurs did not get the best of us. Even if they end up benefitting from the deal, that doesnt mean we were foolish to do what we did. We gave up a 2nd round pick and Vspan. No matter what players this helps SA bring in, that doesnt effect us.

We picked up Scola and Butler, and gave up Vspan (never going to play again) and a 2009 second round pick. Thats it, end of story. Looking at just that scenario, we did very well in this trade.

17. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

scola is significantly better than splitter. udoka is an over rated one year nba player and defender...hes not in bowen's league as a defender....the rockets kicked butt in this trade. we are significantly better provided that mcgrady and yao stay healthy in that order....yao scola hayes battier mcgrady wells james alston are definites in the rotation. lucas, head, are out. who is the back up center? butler or deke is really the only thing left to decide. 58 win team at least...we will finish ahead of either sa, dallas or phoenix. we may finish ahead of 2 of them...will get us into the 2nd round easily

18. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Everyone says Scola is the best PF outside Europe and possibly the best player outside the NBA.

I don't hear anyone saying that about Tiago Splitter.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

If the Spurs did not win the championship with Oberto this past year, they probably would have brought Scola over in hopes to better their chances. With that said, they did win the ring, so they're more than content with just having Oberto instead of Scola. They could have both right now, but what's the point? They won the championship without him and could use the cap space to sign their future prospects in Mahimi and Splitter and add Udoka.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

john lopez, san antonio spurs beat writer.

what a joke of an article.