1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Why the Spurs dealt Scola for virtually nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 15, 2007.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Splitter is the defensive presence, Scola a scorer. On the Brazilian team he's clearly a much better player in comparison to Varejao. He's C in the NBA.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

it was a steal for the Rockets, but at the same time the Spurs didn't get hosed.

A win-win situation for both teams

3. rserina

rserina Member

That's exactly how I see it. San Antonio saves money and gets to focus on younger players who will help them stabilize the organization as Duncan's skills erode, while Houston gets the depth and skill they need at the four and five for very little in return.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

http://www.nonzero.org

The important thing here was not to get the best of the Spurs. The important thing was to be the other team in the exchange. You put out enough feelers, you fend off enough bad offers, and eventually, you might get lucky. Nice work, Daryl Morey.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

barbosa.

6. rocketsmetalspd

Let us see John Lopez is now a Spurs backer along with a JVG lover. Why does he has to out and find something to please the Spurs Fans.

7. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Hahaha! At least cash or a 2nd RD. ;) ................ok a bag of chips would do.

8. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

spurs agreed to pick him for ther Suns to conclude a trade. spurs were never interested..now move along..

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I thought the same way! :(

10. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

That doesn't change the fact that they undervalued a player who could be Tony Parker's backup and give them some minutes at the 2. They only got a future 1st rounder for him. I'm not sure if SA has used the pick they got from Phoenix yet, but the odds that they get a player as good as Barbosa are low. You implying that the Spurs' management is infallible is laughable considering how their fan forum erupted with anger after the Scola trade. They said things like "RC Buford was cheap again", "And they traded him to the Rockets?!?!". They sound exactly like us.

They tanked to get Tim Duncan when they had injuries and still had David Robinson. That accounted for one championship. They got very lucky with two late draft picks on foreign players in Ginobili and Parker. That accounted for the other 3 championships. Nothing else their management has done is particularly exciting.

We tanked for Yao Ming. If we had just got lucky on a couple of draft picks like Eddie Griffin realizing his unique potential and VSpan becoming Steve Nash lite we would be even better off than them with 4 all-star caliber players.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Considering the guy who wrote the article, take it with a grain of salt.

12. haven

haven Member

Come on, dude, it's Lopez. He decides the theme of his article and then determines the facts accordingly.

Lopez is either a complete idiot or a lazy journalist. I suspect it's a combination of both.

13. JD317²

JD317² Member

word.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. The Scola deal was Grand Theft, forced on the Spurs by circumstances and their owner. The Rocks made out like bandits. It's nice to see that happen versus a division rival.

Astonishing is more(y) like it. ;)

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think Fran even thinks Lopez is an idiot. He indirectly dissed Lopez's article on the Cook-Head trade rumor and recently called the radio guys "idiots" (Lopez has a radio show).

16. aamir

aamir Member

I think that's the best way of putting it. I just have a hard time calling it a steal, because while we feel we gave up nothing, the Spurs do as well (no intention of using either player -- and would have lost the ability to trade Scola forever had they not traded him now). Which I guess makes it a steal for the Rockets and a steal for the Spurs? :confused:

Win-Win sounds pretty good to me. Hell, as long as we win and it helps us win... I'm good.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you posted that on the San Antonio Board, you would be roasted and banned.

Though you are right.

18. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Hahaha! I'm glad we ripped-off another team for once. I think it has been a long while. Also, It's funny to see the Spurts fans spinning this as a win-win for BOTH team...but I think we got a quality player & he's only 27 y.o., & we got rid of that whinny V-Span & added size/youth with Butler. We all just have to see how long/well he adapts to the NBA, but I'm confident that he will do very well! :) He really seems passionate about playin' BBall.

19. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

WRONG!

20. Astockmarketgod

I think we need to make more trades with the Spurs.... and Less with Memphis...

il take the Spurs rejects anyday...

anyone else agree...