1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Why the Spurs dealt Scola for virtually nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 15, 2007.

1. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I think he said that based off Splitters "potential" instead of realized skill. Who knows what the league looks like 4 years down the road, but this trade makes the Rox good NOW.

Still, like was said, we have different needs than the spurs so its all good.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bottomline: It's not about Splitter or Udoka or Mahinme. It's about saving $$$.

They can still sign Udoka and bring in Splitter next season with or without dumping Jackie Butler. They just have to pay his salary and luxury tax if they don't dump Butler.

3. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

as far as udoka being and ' udoka is an over rated one year nba player and defender' I will take the Spurs FO opinion over yours ok? The Trade helps both teams but to make the utterly ridiculous comment that they will finish ahead of 2 of the big 3 is stupid. You can't beat Dallas nor Phoenix and you've managed to split against the Spurs.so how is it your going to finish ahead of them with a team that has yet to play together?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Scola turns out as good as his Vids
    USe us until you use us up :p :D

Rocket River
    Rockets will get out of the 2nd Round

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Splitter rebounds a bit better than Scola (I checked some Euroleague stats), but it's very questionable to say he's better. Scola is battle-tested against NBA players and is just plain considered to be a winner. Lopez's hiney is doing much of the talking here, as usual.

For the Spurs this was a salary dump, and they were desperate. Scola had no value to them, since they are stocked at PF and he probably wouldn't sign with them. So, in return for what to them was a zero, they get rid of Butler's contract (Butler also had very little value to them), and we give them cash, a free roster spot (Spanoulis) and a 2nd round pick. I'd bet the cash wasn't insignificant -- perhaps 500k or a million?
    So it's not a terrible deal from their perspective.

But it's a far better deal from our perspective :)

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Random thought...not sure how it relates to this thread, but our depth is pretty nice this year:

Yao/Deke
    Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Bonzi/Snyder
    TMac/Head
    James/Brooks/Alston

IR: Harris, Novak, Butler

I'd like to find a buyer for Alston to get Butler on the 12 man squad.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Spurs FO are great, no doubt, but they are not perfect... the very fact that they were looking to dump Butler proves they do make mistakes sometimes. What makes them better than most is that their mistakes are small ones ($3 mil a year for Butler) rather than huge ones ($13 mil a year for injury-prone Hughes).

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Spurs have been asking for a 1st round pick for Scola for years and with the deadline approaching (of Scola signing a multi-year contract in Spain), they finally accepted a 2nd round pick instead of getting nothing. That is the answer to the question. The suprise is they chose the Rockets. I guess dumping Butler's salary in exchange for V-Span to avoid the luxury tax clinched the deal.

Count me in the group that has never heard of Splitter being better than Scola. That is very silly of Lopez to write and shows he doesn't know much. Splitter fits the Spurs better than Scola because he plays mostly C instead of PF.

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I will admit that Spurs management has been damn good, but they lost both Sam Presti and Kevin Pritchard, two highly regarded execs who are now both GMs for other teams. Due to these losses, can you at least admit the possibility that the FO is no longer infallible, now that Pops and Buford are solely running the show? I mean it IS possible, right?

10. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Yes losing good help is going to affect the front office no doubt. I certainly think Morey is off to a pretty good start.

11. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

I have never heard SPlitter was better than Scola either.

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

JLO...get off the spurs NUT$$

13. aamir

aamir Member

The trade really wasn't a steal. Both teams saw their benefits, and got what they were looking for. It's basically Rudy Gay for Shane Battier part two, only this time we aren't pissed off at the announcement.

That should not take away any of your excitement over the trade though. Just because we didn't rip them off, doesn't mean we didn't gain a talented player in our most needed area for nothing.

The Rockets did VERY well in this trade, and the Spurs did well enough. Don't let the pessimism get to you.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It WAS a steal for the Rockets. They give up only a 2nd rounder and get a likely starting PF and backup C. V-Span had zero value to us since he wasn't coming back. That is the definition of a steal for the Rockets even though the Spurs had their logical reasons for making the trade.

This is nothing at all like the Rudy Gay/Stromile Swift trade for Shane because you could argue that one was bad for us depending on how good Gay is compared to Shane. The Scola trade has no downside at all for us unless you try to harp on how valuable a late 2nd round next summer could be.

15. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Dont pee in the Man's cheerios.....This is one of only a few posts where Denniscd has been positive. :D

I will say this much, I figure we are still top 4 or 5 in the west, but having a PF who can defend and is as athletic as Scola may very well put us over the top.

16. jason_long

jason_long Member

keep in mind that Scola didn't join spurs either, because he won't have many minutes in a team which has Tim Duncan already. But here in Houston, it's different, he is very like to start. (that's probably Scola didn't hesitate to join rox). Spurs figured that out, they won't get him anyway, why not trade him for a roster spot and some cash.

17. The Hungarian Rocket

Scola >>> Splitter. Scola maybe the best non-NBA player in the world. He's a go-to-guy. Splitter is only a prospect. He's a hard-worker but now he's only an avarage player in Europe...

18. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Now if only we could deal John Lopez to San Antonio for nothing...

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Now THAT would be another steal.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

am i missing something here? geography 101?