1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Chron: Interesting quotes from JVG to Les

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballaboy, May 19, 2007.

1. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/05/van_gundy_dismissed_as_rockets_1.html

Van Gundy dismissed as Rockets coach

The Rockets fired Jeff Van Gundy on Friday saying that by the time they were clear that he wanted to be back as Rockets coach they had already settled on his successor, expected to be Rick Adelman

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said that Van Gundy encouraged Morey and owner Leslie Alexander to begin a coaching search while Van Gundy considered whether he wished to return, a scenario that Van Gundy strongly denied, calling it ``revisionist history.''

``Everyone who was involved in the meeting knows what was said,'' Van Gundy said. ``Daryl and I know what was said on our conversation. If he can live with that, so be it.''

The Rockets have held extensive talks with Adelman, a former Kings, Warriors and Trail Blazers coach. Although Morey would not name Adelman, he said that Van Gundy was dismissed because the team had reached the point it preferred that another candidate take over the team.

``At the end of the season, we were ready to sit down and discuss (Van Gundy coming back as Rockets coach),'' Morey said. ``But at that point, Jeff was unsure. We then went ahead and talked to alternative candidates and became positive about them.

``Early this week, it really hadn't come to a head until Jeff came to us and said he wanted to coach. That was this week. At that point, we were positive about alternative candidates.

``Even Jeff acknowledged that (starting a coaching search) was the right thing for the Rockets. There are candidates out there we feel are clearly superior. They're the ones on our short list. We did not want to take the risk that, if Jeff decided not to come back, which was a possibility, that we were left without (the preferred coaching option) for the Rockets.''

Van Gundy, however, said on Friday that he told Alexander that he should choose a coach with whom he agreed on a style of play, but did not suggest that the Rockets begin a coaching search. He said he would have been happy to return had Alexander indicated he wanted him back.

``It was never a question of me evaluating,'' Van Gundy said. ``It was a question of me being somewhere not because the record was good enough, but because I was where I had the support of the owner.

``In that meeting, Les and I and Daryl and Dennis (Lindsey, the Rockets vice president for basketball operations had, I said to Les, ''Obviously you don't agree to me on important things and you owe it to yourself to find someone you agree with.`` If I was told 'I want you to be here and you're the guy,' I would have told them right then, 'I'm in.' ''

``He (Morey) called me 12 hours after we lost. I said, ''Really I don't want to talk right now. We just lost 12 hours ago.' He came in the very next day and said it would be better for him if I gave him the answer. He kept fishing. Like I do every year, I think a lot. The whole idea of me allowing them to go on and contact other coaches was born on Les acknowledging had differences with me as far as style of play."

Van Gundy said he turned down a consultant position with the team because the offer was contingent on calling his departure as Rockets coach a mutual decision.

``Daryl pulled that off the table the moment I wouldn't agree to saying it wasn't a mutual agreement,'' Van Gundy said. ``I disagreed with that and I told them that. I appreciate the offer very much. I was a little disappointed by the heavy handedness of the conclusion.''

Morey said the delay between the decision to replace Van Gundy and Friday's announcement was to try get Van Gundy to be a consultant with the team and describe a very different series of events.

``The process to this point has been very open between coach, Leslie and myself,'' Morey said. ``After the season when we were all going through the pain of the season ending before we wanted it to we met. Jeff was unsure about whether he wanted to continue coaching the team. He was also unsure about when he would be sure. He asked that he would be given time to consider that. He said that he understood that in that time we might have to look at alternative candidates for the good of the Rockets.

``I was happy, at that point, that he also expressed interest to join the team in some capacity, even if we moved in another direction. That's something I was very positive on. I'm very positive on Jeff. I always hoped that, no matter what happened, that he would continue to be part of the Rockets organization. Part of the way through the process, Jeff did say he had made up his mind; he did want to coach the Rockets. At that point, we had already become positive about at least one alternative candidate

``It wasn't until this morning, when I spoke to him that he said he no longer wanted to do that and did not want to stay on as a senior consultant.''

2. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Here's a more complete one:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4818175.html

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I just can't get all weepy about a coach who was twice offered a contract extension the previous year, twice turned it down, declined to make a commitment when asked to in the days after our season ended, and then acts like he was blindsided by not getting the extension.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Breakups can always get messy, with people perceiving different things... I think the bottom line is this thing could have been handled bettter from the Rockets end... if they just told him that they'd like try a different style with another coach from the start. That's what Les wanted last offseason anyway.. he kept Jeff on but the creative differences was there. Van Gundy loved the guys on his team, but eventually, a team cannot function with the coach and ownership not on the same page... So, it's either Les selling the team or Van Gundy getting fired.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm not sure i like how darryl morey comes off in this story.

no way would any of us agree to call this a mutual agreement to part ways if you wanted to stay as the head coach. what do you get for that lying? a token 'consultant' possition in which they will probably never listen to a word you have to say.

thanks but no thanks. jeff made the right decision.

i'm happy he stayed true to himself through morey's bullsh!t. i'm also happy that the rockets will have a definite upgrade at coach next year.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know it is mind boggling. JVG had a chance to sign the extension, and chose not to.

JVG knew that Les had issues with him, he rolled the dice and lost.

Move on.

DD

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

yea

it looks like a mess on both sides, miscommunication and a whole lot of other things, obviously Les did not want the boring defensive scheme so he choose to run more of an offensive team

I was watching the game last night in San Antonio, in some cases I fell bad for Gundy, he looked like he lost a lot!

#7 Amel, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  8. pli777

pli777 Member

I just find Morey's "I was positive on .... I was positive on ..... " really annoying. He speaks very ambiguously and I hate that in a person.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

And if we really want miscommunication followed by morose dread and antipathy, then hire Larry Brown. Oh, and Les would be out a very large chuck of change.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nobody "miscommunicated" anything and JVG wasn't "blindsided". This isn't about Les doing JVG wrong because he had every right to fire him. It's about Les insulting the fans (and everyone else's) intelligence by trying to portray all of this as a mutual decision or one made by JVG. Les is too small a man to take full responsibility for deciding JVG wouldn't come back.

If Les really wanted JVG back, he would have waited a few more days, but he didn't. That is why he interviewed and will hire Adelman. JVG is "too stubborn" to cover Les' rear like Rudy did and more power to him. I wish Rudy had been more open about what happened instead of swallowing his dignity (and I say that as a person who thought Rudy SHOULD have been fired).

We have a jerk as an owner who has trouble telling the truth. Our GM was just a robot in the process and has no choice but to say what Les wants or lose his job.

Let's hope Morey can waive his wand and make some big roster improvements by acquiring a starting caliber PG & PF and Adelman can blend the elements into a contending team.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This firing crap is never going to go away. Even if Adelman takes the Rockets to the NBA Finals next year, the pro-Gundy crowd will be in full force telling us that "VG would have done it too...look at his 52 wins w/o Yao"....etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah.

Personally, I don't know who is right and I absolutely don't give a rat's arse who is telling the truth and/or more righteous. I can get to the personal bottomline very easily.

Les wants to run, Gundy wants to play mid-90's basketball in TODAY'S NBA.

Les...unless it's Larry Brown (which I doubt)...I'm with you 100%.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Answer me this: What is mid-90s basketball? What style do the Spurs, Pistons, Cavs and Jazz play? They are this year's Final Four. Do Phoenix and Golden State play the way you want in "today's NBA"? Where are those two now?

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Great point A_3PO

This mid 90's basketball crap is garbage, successful teams like the NBA final four, play very similar styles to what the Rockets did this year but with better overall talent. If the rockets improve next year it will be because of an improved roster.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Mid 90's BBall = pound it into the low post at all costs with disregard for all other aspects.

No one in todays NBA can or does play mid 90's offense...the NBA zone took care of that.

PHX got screwed in the suspensions fiasco.

The Cavs low post presence is Z and Gooden...not 90's offensive ball.

The Pistons low post is CWebb...not 90's offense.

The Pistons 2nd low post option is Rasheed...he shoots 3's...not 90's offense for a PF.

The Jazz low post comes from PF while the C shoots 3's...not 90's offense.

The Heat play 90's ball...where are they?

15. New Jack

New Jack Member

90’s basketball was much more superstar-oriented than it is today. Basically it was “give the ball to your best player (usually the center), everybody else stands and watches around the 3-point line”. Predictable offenses that really so heavily on one single player just doesn’t work nearly as well anymore. That’s why the Lakers are such a poor playoff team despite having probably the most talented superstar in the game.

Offensively, nowadays, there’s much more of a balanced attack. You’re not going to see a single player average +30 points a game throughout the playoffs, like Jordan, Hakeem, and Shaq did. With the exception of the Cavs (who'll probably be swept), all the remaining teams are very balanced offensively. The leading playoff scorer remaining is Carlos Boozer, with only 24 points a game.

Hopefully, Adelman can implement a system similar to the one he ran in Sacramento that'll create a more balanced attack and a less predictable offense.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously??? until dethroned, they're probably still polishing their trophy. i'd be fine with being the Heat for a year. and i think that model works far better with the pieces we have in place then all of a sudden saying we wanna be "Phoenix-like"...who by the way, hasn't won a championship with that style.

17. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Why do I get the feeling it went something like this...

GAME 7 LOSS

Les: "Your Fired!"

JVG: "You cant fire me! I quit!"

JVG picks up cell phone: 'tell Vercey Im retiring'

Morey to Les: 'Wtf are we gonna do now?"

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think San Antonio is who we need to emulate......the Heat had one miracle run out of a bunch of older veterans and one young attack the basket at all costs Superstar.

The Spurs play more of a team game, and are a more consistent force, I think the Rockets should follow their blue print.

DD

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's my feeling. Moreover, the firing reminds me of when Van Gundy quit on his team in New York. With him vacillating so much during the season about coming back, the brass must have been thinking about that episode and the real possibility that Van Gundy would flake out again.

20. uac

uac Contributing Member

whatever the style of play, JVG is so-so coach.

Just let it go