1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Interesting quotes from JVG to Les

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballaboy, May 19, 2007.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

BUT WE DON'T HAVE THE PERSONNEL OF THE SA SPURS!!!

this is what's so maddening to me about all this. yeah, i'd love to be the freaking spurs. i'd love to have a team that deep....WE DON'T!!! we are much more akin to the Heat of last year...and even that's a stretch, frankly.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Well, last year, they were celebrating a championship, and this year, they had a gimpy Dwayne Wade. Otherwise, they would be in the ECF playing a mediocre Cav's team.

And how is it the the Spur's aren't playing mid 90's basketball?

And how is it that the Sun's aren't just the latest incarnation of run n' gun that's early playoffs and done?

3. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

They should had kept JVG as a senior consultant. He has so much basketball IQ and he can prepare the team better than anyone from game to game. Making him say it was mutual was just wrong.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I know, that is why I have been clamoring to develp our bench, like the Spurs did with Manu and Tony.

Also, JVG had his hand in acquiring Alston for James, and that turned out horribly...CD went out and got a JVG guy....and it hurt the team...in a big way.

DD

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

then why support a coach that you know can only get you so far with the personnel you have?

I'm all for getting personnel, but short of a miracle (convincing Mo Williams to come for the MLE, trading Howard and Alston for a decent PF), don't we have to try something else?

6. MadMax

da da...i'm sorry to break this awful news to you...but we don't have Manu and Tony sitting on our bench.

i agree with you on the alston/james thing. no question about it.

7. MadMax

here's how to try something else...tweak it. add a 3rd scorer. or add a legit shooter at the PG spot. you're unlikely to turn the roster over to be "phoenix-like" as alexander wants...but it is possible to add a scorer to a great defensive team and as a complement to tracy and yao on the offensive end.

8. DaDakota

Max, when they came into the league they were both unknowns, and subject to major mistakes when they played. In fact V-Span was every bit as highly thought of as Manu and much more highly thought of than Parker.

Maybe V-Span won't pan out like those two, but just maybe he would, and since the Rockets clearly do not have the talent to compete, they should have been using this year to discover what they had in V-Span, Snyder and Novak, IMHO, of course.

Sometimes moves don't work out.

DD

9. MadMax

i'm thinking if JVG had a manu or tony on that bench, he MIGHT have noticed that in practice. he MIGHT have picked up on some of it during the season.

look...i don't know. maybe they're all stars. maybe they're key components to championship runs. color me doubtful.

10. DaDakota

I think that Manu is too risky of a player and he would have sat on the bench his rookie year......because as JVG says.....Rookies are risky, his wife thinks they get you fired, and Euro players take a long time to develop.

JVG's dogmatic approach was his strength and his weakness.

DD

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I'll second your opinion!

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Actually, I look back at the Rockets "firing" saga and feel its funny.

- After Gm 7 loss, the Rockets have decided to find a new coach but they dont want to be the bad guy. They dont want to say "FIRE" considering JVG did a good job in the regular season.

- JVG ,who is already known as a "QUIT" guy after his Knicks' job, is willing to leave the job but not quitting his job.

- The Rockets tried hard to offer some hush money to JVG as "Senior Consultant" if JVG was willing to say "leaving his job is a MUTUAL DICISION".

- Since the hush money doesnt mean much to JVG, he preferred to get "FIRE" so he wont be known as "QUIT" guy for the second time.

For me, the Rockets is not bad as an organisation. At least they tries to buy you out. :)

13. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Oh yea! Great Point!! :rolleyes:

The defending champions, we should definitely not play like them.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

In short, I can sum up this whole coaching change debacle with a few words:

"You say potato, I say potato(h); you say tomato, I say tomato(h)."

"Potato, potato(h)...tomato, tomato(h)."

Franky, my dear, I don't give a damn.

15. Yetti

Firstly Mad Max we don't need a legit shooter at the Point Guard Position!!!!!!!
    We need a Playmaker Point Guard who can shoot when called upon to do so, quite a different type of player.
    It's going to take two or three offseasons to make the desired roster changes.
    Possibly this offseason they might get us the Point guard or Power Forward that we need and the other next offseason. Besides this we need two athletic players who can go to the basket and score. We also should replace the backup center position.
    In this rebuilding,we might have to trade one or two stars to get the players we needand certainly make wise choices in the drafts to get players who can be coached and included in the active team.

16. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

17. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

I've lost respect for the organization with the way they've handled not only Van Gundy's departure, but in the past with Hakeem and Rudy ...

What really ticks me off is the premature coaching search (as if Adelman is hot property or something) and the heavy handed hush hush senior consultant position.

18. Yetti

Deception, Lies, corruption-- all sins against God and us as their brothers and sisters. They can't ever again gain respect from the fans.

19. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

You just can't have it both ways. You can't say I need time to reflect and then say I wanted to be back all along, Van Gundy is doing some spinning himself as well as the Rockets brass.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As I expected, your description of 90s basketball is an exaggerated joke. If Yao Ming is your starting C and you don't "pound it in", it's a waste of time having him on the team. Should we trade Yao or make him into something he's not? Should we make him into Big Z or Okur? Really curious to understand how you think Yao should be used in "today's NBA".

AFTER the 90s, the Lakers won 3 championships "pounding it in" to Shaq. When asking about the Heat, did you forget they were champions last year? For right or wrong, the Spurs are where they are. Besides turn it over so much, what exactly does Tim Duncan do that isn't "pound it in"? What's the difference between his offensive game and Yao's? I'll answer for you: Close to none.