1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Interesting quotes from JVG to Les

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballaboy, May 19, 2007.

1. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Technically, they are not defending anymore, unless you're speaking of this past regular season and first 3 games of the playoffs.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Their style are similar but Yao is not TD or Shaq. You already know that. So the method doesn't work.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Should have figured the VG lovers would be out in full force.

Heat...shmeat...Spurs...currs....

All Gundy 90's poor imitation of the Olajuwon Rockets got was 1st round exits. Jordan won with little low post presence, the Faker$ won with the versatility of the triangle, the Spurs have multiple players that can can get their own shots and target players who can/will play at multiple transition tempos. This for anyone observing is not Dream and Ewing ISO in the low block.

Bring on the uptempo...

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yao plays a lot like Duncan, less so like Shaq for obvious reasons. But the point is about low post "pound it in" offenses. At this point, I don't know how else Yao is going to get 15+ shots per game. The Rockets should pattern themselves after the Spurs. The problem is the talent deficit at the other positions, not so much the style of basketball, except the over-reliance on 3 point shooting.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When in doubt, just call people "JVG lovers" and that will shut them up and end the debate about offense (or anything else). :rolleyes: Dumb down the discussion by changing the subject to JVG when your point slips. Whatever. You people who think more transitions won't diminish Yao's impact on games are in fantasy land. Fast breaks work when you have an advantage. "Up tempo" for the sake of being up tempo when Yao Ming is your C is foolish.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Honestly, I'm over it. I though JVG got a raw deal, but he certainly had his chances. If he'd been 100% about coming back next season, win lose or draw, he'd have taken the extension. I think he's a good coach and that Adelman isn't a big improvement, but I don't think coaching was the biggest obstacle in getting to the next round.

I'm comfortable with giving Adelman a shot. I'd like to see the Rockets continue to try to emulate a Spurs-like style of play, centering around Yao's post play. I do think that the Rockets' over-reliance on three point shooting was a problem, one that I hope Adelman and Morey are able to address. Either way I'm going to keep watching and keep visiting this board, so nothing has dramatically changed!

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The thing that annoys me about this whole situation is that the Rockets spent more time trying to find a way to make this look "mutual", or to try to save a public image than simply coming out and admitting what was wrong with the team.

It also doesn't seem like the GM is being able to enact his own plan/vision on this team... but is merely being forced to comply with whatever the owner feels like doing (on any given day).

4 years ago, Les wanted to pattern a team after San Antonio. Now, he wants to pattern a team after Phoenix... and get a coach who smiles.

And then, if the new coach comes in and demands his way/his players, Les will ask Morey to defer.... just like he did with Rudy, just like he did with JVG.

The common theme in all this team's dysfunctionalities since the championship teams (built by Patterson) is Les.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like he wasn't offered a chance to make a commitment after the season. I think that's where the problem is with how the firing was handled.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Also if I remember correctly, JVG wanted Stromile Swift as well and he wanted a true PG in Alston over James.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I don't mind if they fire him for his playoff record, but over his style of play? I hope I'm wrong, but why do I get the feeling that it's like Sgt. Hulka in "Stripes" trying to convince his superior (the guy played by John Larocquette) not to go into Czechoslovakia and the superior ignoring his warning? Phoenix-style? I can see Sgt. Gundy jumping off the roof of the truck saying, "Screw this."

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmm, the favorie to win it all -- San Antonio -- is mysteriously missing from your list. And the reason Utah advanced past Golden State, everyone recognizes, is due to their presence inside. It wasn't Okur's 3-point shooting that won them that series.

Greg Popovich said point blank in the post-game press conference yesterday, "We're an inside-out team". He also said that their ability to slow the game down was crucial to them winning. The fact is, there aren't too many inside-out teams in the league any more. Miami is far more Wade-centric than Shaq-centric; everyone knows that. Basically, there's San Antonio, and there's Houston. Both happen to be very good teams.

And this notion that you need to play at a fast pace to have a chance in today's league is moronic. The two favorites to win it all -- San Antonio and Detroit -- were two of the slowest teams in the regular season (both played at a slower pace than Houston). I think most of us can agree that we need some more versatile offensive players. Who wouldn't want a Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili on their team? But the basic template on how we're going to win remains the same. We're going to have to be a half-court team that executes, plays great defense, and predominantly works through Yao and McGrady. Rick Adelman is a smart coach, and he'll recognize that to be the case.

#51 durvasa, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wow. Very well said. Grand slam home run!

Wait till Les finds out how much Adelman smiles. He's in for a big disappointment. For the record, Adelman's prickly demeanor won't bother me at all. Coaches that let reporters get under their skin crack me up sometimes. If he stays true to form, there will be a lot of Adelman mocking here and on the radio just like with JVG.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Man, you really have fallen off. I hate arguing with you, because I can't convince you that you're a dumb ass. However, citing the futility of the battle, I will try.

You are pointing to versatility in players as being a key to going further. I don't think anyone on this board will disagree with you. Yet, you are pointing to up tempo vs. down tempo. You are talking two different things. But I digress. I don't want to tic tac the folly of this point.

In regards to the mess Jeff did or didn't make with this roster is what I would like to expand upon. When crazy Jeffrey took over this sham of a team, we had a poor excuse for a roster with what seemed to be immovable contracts. i.e. Steve Francis, Kelvin Cato and Mo Taylor.

None of those atrocities were the fault of VG. Ol' four eyes takes credit for things he didn't do and gets play every year as gm of the year for bad roster moves. He's the only person that could have done that. Well with the help of sock em and drop em Rudy T.

Because of this, Jeff did what he could do to alleviate salary burdens while bringing in players that could play. He didn't have enough monies to bring in mid level to high impact players, so he brought in ol' retreads like Marc Jackson.

With these moves, he was able to show Le$ that Stevie was not right. Thanks to Tmac's vociferous nature, we were able to turn in a Daihatsu for a Porsche. Yet this transaction too came with salary burdens that couldn't be turned into the likes of the players that would make you happy. I do believe that realists understood it would take time.

From here on, VG made a series of moves to bring in low priced, older players that would fit his system in lieu of being able to get the ideal fits. Most of these moves payed off in the form of a 50 win team and taking Dallas to 7 games, but as we all saw, the old players eventually caught up to us the next season.

Now we can continue to beat the dead horse of an issue that is Mike James, and VG's insistence to win meaningless games. Those were both mistakes. Yet these two mistakes didn't mean that Jeffrey wanted an unbalanced roster with no athleticism. He repeatedly attempted to gain such athleticism in the form of Slowmile Swift and re-attaining Mike James. Hell, he was even a big proponent of he whom we never got that now resides in Portland. (yes, this can be attributed to a non-beneficial win, but isn't that what a coach is payed to do?)

Still, a dumb ass owner seemed to blame the follies of a previous regime and a currently blind GM on Van Gundy and cut off his balls in the ability of shaping the roster. In my opinion, although it does reek of VG, the Battier trade was all Morey. And guess what? It was a hell of a trade.

We are now in a position that with our MLE, draft pick, expiring Sura contract coupled with over touted scrub rookies, we can make an acquisition of 1 (count em 1) player that should put us over the top and make us a legit contender. This player should fit the mold of the previously described athletic shot creator. And if we attain this player and still don't succeed, I won't blame it on the coach. Whomever it may be. I will lay blame solely where it should lay. In a heartless Tracy McGrady and a soft Yao Ming. Because that is what they will ultimately have proven to be.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

^ good post studogg, but I don't agree that JVG brought in all these players. He's the coach. He might have been consulted on some of the acquisitions, and his coaching style might affected the type of players our management looked for. But, ultimately, credit/responsibility for the players acquired falls on CD and rest of Rockets management. Personally, I think they did a pretty good job, and CD being in the running for executive of the year validates that view.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We did have Charlie Ward

Rocket River

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And Rick Brunson, Rod Strickland, and Charles Oakley and......well you get the point.

DD

17. Major

Major Member

Where did he act blindsided? He said he wanted the owner's support - that's it. He wasn't going to sign a contract extension without it. He sounded disappointed, but not particularly surprised.

18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Yes, because he couldn't force the owner into what he wanted like he did the players.

You see how it is when you aren't the one with power over another person. Les made it clear long ago what he wanted, and since Assistant coach couldn't get on his page, he has to go, just like it was with him and some ex rocket players.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DING DING DING !!!

DD

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you here. Few folks in the forum are mentioning the fact that this team tried to re-sign Van Gundy twice and were rebuked twice. Combined with his post season lack of commitment (I really doubt dude made it crystal clear he wanted to return) it was pretty clear this team was looking at another JVG quiting/flaking out scene a ala New York. Neither JVG nor the Rockets are shooting straight with the truth.

The way I see it, that Yahoo article is the fairest look at the situation so far. JVG wanted out but didn't want to quit for the second time. The Rockets, not liking the guy for all his grumpiness and unwillingess to work with the players they were giving him, didn't want a mess but a quiet exit like one often sees in pro sports. They should have known Van Gundy wouldn't play along. Since when has he done anything without being pissy about it?

Anyway, JVG got what he wanted, to quit and look like the poor little victim at the same time. Good riddance. With him gone, I might finally pick up league pass again and start watching more Rocket games again. Its been a long 4 years.