1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Crunch-Time Benching Feud

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 4, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's complicated: Rick Carlisle and Chandler Parsons <a href="https://t.co/NtpTpvMONZ">https://t.co/NtpTpvMONZ</a> My deep dive into the Parsons-Carlisle dynamic.</p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/695651399451869184">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

An explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhXX-rtQTI

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

remember when people compared Parsons with Hayward? There was a thread here on CF and from what I remember it was 50/50 lol

4. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

If only we had benched him on his final play as a Rocket.

5. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Never mind, already discussed.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Side note: MacMahon is Parson's lap dog. This is a total leak and puff piece coming straight from Chandler himself.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Look at the last quote in the article...lols

------------------------------
    "He challenges me," Parsons said. "He's never going to let me get away with anything. I'm a very hard worker, but sometimes I need to be pushed. He's not one of these guys that are just going to be blowing smoke up my ass. He's going to tell me how it is and be real with me, and that's something I respect about him.

"But deep down, I think he [Carlisle] thinks I can carry a team."
    ------------------------------​

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Which article. The OP one about the feud or the one J.R. posted from today?

They are both chalk full of quotes from all sides -- Coach, Player and Owner. I don't see how either article is a puff piece.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Since no one has said it yet:

Parsons is offended

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It was interesting he seemed to be getting a lot more TV time and people talking about him when he was with the Rockets and now this is the most I've heard his name in a while when we aren't playing them.

11. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

What could Parsons possibly gain from such a comment?

It makes zero sense. Just let your fckn game do the talking, and you'll get what you earn.

This guy's media/celebrity obsession is laughable & cringeworthy.

12. CertifiedTroll

Carry a team to little driblers state championship.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You got to admit, as a Rocket, he could finish above the rim with consistency. Only willing cutter on the team at the time. A million times better than T. Jones and has the strength to be a solid stretch 4 @ 6'9. Maybe he's open to coming back to Houston some day? I know he didn't completely burn the bridges.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Carlisle (on his radio show):

The Miami game, I made a mistake playing him the entire first Q. I don't believe he played an entire first quarter of a game all season long. When you do that, you gas a guy. You'll get tired. Middle of the 4th, he got a breakaway and it was clear to me he was gassed. That stretch in the first quarter had a lot to do with it and it's a mistake I'll strive not to make again.

The other night was a different situation. With Deron out, that affects your positional stuff. He was going good early and I wanted to keep rolling with him but probably should have gotten him out earlier. In mid-March & April, he'll absorb those minutes. D-Will back will alleviate this some.

Earn the benefit of the doubt (as a crunch time player)?

Some of these quotes were before the game happened. Here's the bottom line: one of my big jobs is to protect our players. Another is to manage expectations. I knew there would be stretches where he got it going and other stretches where he struggles. Coaches gotta make decisions. It's made to protect him and manage expectations as it is to win a game. We gotta another one tonight. He gotta guard Kawhi & Green tonight. This is murderer's row every night (for him & Wes) and it's a lot of work but I have great belief in Parsons. I demonstrate that with how much time I spend with him, care about him and push him. It's fascinating the way the media will look for something to be controversial about. He's not 100%. I won't tab him as automatic crunch time guy yet until he reaches that point in rehab. I made that clear to MacMahon. I haven't read the article but I'm sure my daughter Abby will read it because she reads everything about Parsons.

Do you need to protect Dirk from Kareem Abdul-Jabar?

I finally saw the quote. It's disappointing to see. Dirk personifies greatness and what greatness is in the NBA and sports in general. His career, beginning to end, very few great players of that magnitude that had to carry a franchise without Hall of Fame help. He had Kidd for a few years. Vince Carter was late in his career here. It's not like having Magic, Worthy, Bird, McHale, or Dennis Johnson. Comments are unfortunate. Dirk handled them in his humbled, classy way. He's a gem in all of sports and that's what makes him extremely special.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

who were they brainwashed by?

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

So? It's not Parsons fault and only thing it shows clearly is Harden telling them something, so it seems like he's at fault for the switch at first.

Anyway, that quote that he thinks Carlisle feels he's good enough to carry a team is really hilarious. The guy is so delusional!! :grin:

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

And that is racist....

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO sorry for the Parsons homers here but the that shot was all on Parsons. Bev was the guy guarding Lilliard but Parsons wanting to be the hero asked to switch right before the play started. Lilliard took advantage of that moment to run and since Parsons wasn't able to get into position (he was guarding another guy before he asked to switch), he was a step slow starting out and couldn't really recover.

Anyway, I hope Cuban gets fed up with the losses and sides with his boy Parsons and fires Carlisle. That guy is exactly what we need in Houston.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looked like Harden told them to switch.

And the positioning was all wrong.
    1. Bev went under Williams when he should have been ready for switching back to Lillard on the screen.
    2. Parsons mysteriously stayed behind Lillard instead of shadowing him to force the screen.
    3. Harden should have cut off Lillard when Lillard went over the top.
    4. Jones should have stayed off the inbounder and stepped up to challenge the shot. (There was no time for an extra pass. Why did he have to guard the inbound guy?)

The only guy who was not out of position was Dwight. But Aldridge was just a decoy to keep the defense honest.

It was 5 on 4 defense with less than a second to go. And they screwed up.