1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I ask you guys (Rox fans) an honest question?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SFbaybum, May 13, 2019.

1. SFbaybum

SFbaybum Member

I promise I am not here to rub salt in your wounds, and I'll preface my question by saying I"m a 54 yr old married guy who has spent his whole life in Northern California. I was 10 when Rick Barry and The W's won the '75 title and first had season tix during the Run TMC days.

I'll also say that I believe the Olajuwon/Drexler/ Elie (former Warrior) Rockets of aprx '95 were some of the classiest, most professional and fun to watch teams of their day.

Now my question: I know I cringe whey Draymond complains about every foul and yells too much at the refs.

In all honesty, do you guys tire of the iso ball (dribble between legs for 20 secs), the flailing and flopping of arms, necks and legs everytime someone comes near CP3 or Harden, the public complaining about referees, the written reports to the NBA re previous seasons on the eve of a series, the denying an opposing player practice time as host city, etc?

I'm not looking to troll or start a debate about individual things the W's or other teams have gotten away with in your opinion. I just want to know if any of the above gets old for some of the honest, diehard fans of Houston?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Only thing I will address is I couldnt give two ****s how we get the ball in the basket as long as we do it as efficiently as possible. And I believe we do. So no I don’t get tired of that.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I find this team hard to root for some times because of the dribble-dribble ISO plays, and the lack of variety when things get tough, and the lack of rebounding, and the fact that we never roster good PFs, and the general malaise, and the playing for fouls, etc....

And yet this doesn't hold the smallest of candles to my hatred of Steph Curry, Andrew Bogut, Kevin Durant, and Draymond Green.

Harden gets vilified on a daily basis for what I think are lesser crimes while every unsportsmanlike thing those guys do is "cute" and "gamesmanship". Harden is the NBA's villain #1 for extending what Ginobili is a hero for starting. Sure, that's annoying to opponents but yet that's all we hear about. Meanwhile, the Warriors stacked their team so they knew they couldn't lose and still dance and preen themselves and pat themselves on the back every chance they get. I find any press conference involving them unwatchable, because I don't think a superiority complex is cool.

I'm not about that glamor w**** life. In Houston we want a blue collar lunch pail team. Unfortunately we don't quite have one.

#3 napalm06, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No I don’t get tired of it, I’m a Rockets fan. When Harden draws a foul it genuinely excites me because it’s a positive play for my team.

Same way the guys above mentioned not liking how Curry showboats or Draymond yells, you know what if I’m a Warriors fan I’d love that **** because it comes from a positive place for the team.

I don’t dislike anything about the Rockets, nor Warriors for that matter. Both great and super entertaining teams. Only thing I hate with a passion is when teams underachieve, which is what the Rockets did this year, and back in that 15-16 year with Howard.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Remlap, Patience, Gray_Jay and 19 others like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Isolation + kick out can get old for me*. It got old a few years ago. But, it's the smartest way for the Rockets to play; it's a major factor in why Harden + role players have so overachieved in the regular season.

CP3 flopping can annoy me. Harden flopping is on par with other superstars; he's just also the best in the NBA at drawing legitimate fouls so it seems like a lot.

Providing feedback to the NBA about the foul call discrepancy is fine. Their methodology for determining that it cost them 18 points was absurd. Also, without an analysis of the foul call discrepancy of every game, we can't say that the discrepancy between GSW/HOU was significant. For all we know, it's the norm.

I don't know anything about denying an opposing player practice time. But even if that's true... I don't care. Making conditions less than ideal for opposing teams has been going on for decades. At least we don't have an all-pink visitor's locker room.

*Emphasis on can. It can also be awesome to see guys get crossed up or eaten alive with a step back.

8. pass_to_Hakeem

I am tired of it. It’s not a good look. Then on top of all that , you lose at home with NO DURANT?? Imo “egg alllllll over Houston’s face”. If I were the owner , I’d tell everybody in that organization to KEEP THEIR WORTHLESS MOUTHS SHUT during the off-season and then during the regular season!!! I personally don’t want to hear a peep out of them until next year’s playoffs. All I hear is blah blah blah.... I see regular season hero’s and playoff dud’s

SFbaybum, JayZ750 and lw17 like this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Denying the opposing player practice time would have been applauded had we won, with people raving about CP3s competitiveness, but since we lost, he looks foolish and that is fair. Like Steph said, if you shimmy on someone it’s only right they can shimmy on you.

The report wasn’t written on the eve of a series (not sure if you were implying that), it was in the summer. With regards to the reports and the complaining, yes it would be great if our players just played through everything, but you also saw Game 1. I don’t know you but I don’t think you would be able to keep your cool after that BS. I don’t think anyone can. And I also thought Game 7 last year, the first half was officiated rather ridiculously though never brought it up because I didn’t think it would be something that would repeat itself, and Game 1 proved I was wrong.

Having said all that, I don’t think it cost us this series. But again, it didn’t seem like keeping ones mouth shut was going to change anything, so reactions become natural.

Again, you guys won because you were better, but our players most definitely had to deal with a whole bunch of bulls**t more than once from the officials when facing you. And it’s easy to think one should brush it off when it’s not happening to them.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I was honestly really proud of Morey for standing up for the team with the report. Same was i was proud when JVG took that 100k fine for defending Yao and calling out the nba when they went out of their way to screw him.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There is a significant contengent of 'fans' here that hate everything about the Rockets

Rocket River

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

What happened in game 1, yes I dislike it. When it’s a real genuine foul like game 3-4 then that’s the right way.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The only thing that gets old is trolls trying to pretend they’re not trolls! I give credit where credit is due, donkey knows he’s an a$$ and doesn’t try to hide it!

Go Rockets !!!

ApacheWarrior, topfive and malakas like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Trying to answer as honestly as possible: Since the Rockets have been my team since the year they arrived in Houston ('71), I'm willing to overlook and/or forgive them for lots of their less savory quirks. Just as I'm sure you're willing to overlook and/or forgive your Warriors for having an offense that seems as dependent on getting the refs to overlook infractions (copious illegal screens, grabbing and holding, etc.) as you think ours is dependent on baiting the refs into seeing phantom fouls that don't exist. As for "flopping and flailing," see Draymond in the paint or Steph trying to draw fouls on 3s. Trust me, as a fan I know it's hard to see your own team doing this stuff, but it's plain as day to the rest of us.

Draymond is a study on his own, and I don't blame him at all for all the barking and cursing at the refs; I blame the refs (and the league) for letting him get away with it to a point that is pretty much unprecedented in the NBA. Rodman would have been racking up techs at breakneck speed if he'd behaved exactly like Draymond does. Then there's the outright dirty play—the nut-kicking and face-scratching, and similar attempts to harm the opponent physically, most of which goes uncalled because this guy has some kind of invisibility shield around him that only works on NBA referees.

Apart from Draymond, I (and many people I know who aren't Rockets fans at all) see your team as smug and arrogant. I'll give them the right, since they've earned it by winning titles. What I won't give them is the right to showboat incessantly when things are going their way. Steph's mouthpiece-chomping is one thing, but the shimmying and dancing after every made 3 gets old really fast.

Most of all, what I don't like about the Warriors is that they publicly denounce teams for doing the very same thing they themselves do: arguing every call against them or every call they didn't get. The Dubs shake their heads after almost every foul, as if the refs didn't get the memo from Adam Silver.

And for the record, some of us are irritated that the team with by far the most talent in the NBA is also the beneficiary of the most lenient officiating come playoff time. You guys really don't need the help, but there's the league giving it to you anyway.

And while I'm at it, Steve Kerr comes off as a huge hypocrite when he says he thinks it's disgusting that so much attention is paid to the officiating rather than the playing, yet does so only minutes after open his presser by forcing the media's attention on the officiating by pretending to flop when standing next to a reporter.

#14 topfive, May 13, 2019
  15. lionaire

lionaire Member

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. What does bother me is the fact that there's several other players including the league's biggest stars that do the same things on a consistent basis yet catch little to no backlash for it. Specifically the "flailing and flopping of arms, necks and legs, the public complaining about referees." Also, Steve Kerr is always quick to complain to the league when he sees something he doesn't like but people seem to forget that.

Patience, SFbaybum, mario_v and 7 others like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Including themselves and every coach and every player they didn't pick up on their NBA 2K team.

Deckard likes this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden might be content winning Olympic gold versus a ring.

Howard smiled way too much on the court.

Dennis Rodman didn't smile as much as Howard. I mean. Really!?

The hack-a-howard tactics of Kerr were completely classless and low down.

The hack a Howard tactics stifled the d velopment of harden when it came to post entry passes. The sad part is harden does not even entertain the idea of playing on the same team as a dominant post player. Harden not ring chasing, harden gold medal chasing.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

most here hate the anthony more than any style of play our players do. also tax savings. eat at landry's yawls!

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Also, I wouldn't be doing my job as a Rockets fan if I didn't point out that in saying this...
    ...you don't even bother to question whether your opinion regarding "flailing and flopping of arms, necks and legs everytime {sic} someone comes near CP3 of Harden" is accurate. You just assume that you're seeing it with unbiased eyes, when it could just as easily by the product of your fandom combined with a narrative amplified by the media because the Luke Skywalker Warriors need a Darth Vader to balance out the story.

Patience, Gray_Jay, SFbaybum and 6 others like this.
  20. photojoe

photojoe Member

All these other posters trying to be nice-

Your thread is one of the most passive-aggressive threads ever. You can't just say "I promise I'm not trying to be a troll", and then expect that gives you a free pass to immediately follow that and go on to be a lame troll.

Get the hell out of here with this thread. Go back to whatever site all the bandwagon Warriors fans use.

Your post has almost as much crap in it as the city of SF does.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...pping-san-franciscos-132562-cases-human-feces

#20 photojoe, May 13, 2019