1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I ask you guys (Rox fans) an honest question?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SFbaybum, May 13, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hate that we don’t have the talent necessary in order to win a title, and we have limited ways of getting meaningfully better. I don’t like that we’re such an old, short, and slow team.

Do I wish we were playing faster, moving the ball around more, and averaging 25 assists a game? Sure

I enjoy watching Harden in isolation because of the skill that he displays every possession as he breaks down his man...there’s so much u can take from Harden’s game and try to add to your own...watching him break down his defender is fun, but I’d prefer if he diversified his game a bit

I HATE GS, I can not stand them...their antics are far worse than anything the Rockets do

Can u imagine Harden throwing his slimy, dirty mouthpiece on a fan, MDA fake flopping pre-game in front of reporters or sending out salty tweets about other players, CP0 confronting the refs like Donkey does, the whole team mocking the refs like they do, etc?

2. pass_to_Hakeem

But a fan of basketball points out the good and the bad... being biased and blind and saying the Rockets and the organization does no wrong ..., is wrong. It’s skewed and fake and I for one, won’t be living on fantasy island thinking everything the Rockets do is gold. It’s been 25 + since their last chip. CLEARLY NOT perfect

SFbaybum likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason non rockets appear here is to troll
    @Os Trigonum

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. bj3175

bj3175 Member

The only problem I have with the Rockets is not seizing the moment and taking command of the series that was their for them. This includes us not getting the most out of our team. If you look at what Doc Rivers got out of the Clippers he gets every last drop of effort from those guys. If we gave that level of effort and want to from the last 2 squads we had we beat anybody you want to talk about

SFbaybum likes this.
  5. shlhl

shlhl Member

That is how Harden got screwed because this perception and reputation he got. Some is really bad bad foul he got from opposing team and ref never called them.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bingo. And yet Harden is supposedly ruining the game, sucking the very soul out of it.

And they wonder why Rockets fans are salty.

#46 topfive, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bro @SFbaybum

As a diehard Rockets fan with only exceptions to the VERY extreme... I get tired of one thing. Losing.

This doesn’t make me unique. This describes every diehard fan of any team, any time.

I can certainly be a realist though. The style of play is infuriating. Dribble dribble is infuriating when it doesn’t work ultimately. CP3 - much more than harden - trying to draw fouls is maddening. Harden more just plays his game in a way liken Draymond does. Being aggressive and dishing out punishment with his upper body is just part of the game.

But I’d be giddy as a little schoolgirl if it worked.

It doesn’t. Not in the playoffs.

Bear in mind as fans we have very little control of what our team looks like. We have the players and stats we have. We hope it works. We root for it even if not our preferred style.

But I personally at this point strongly desire to see a style that gets far away from ISO ball and reverts to much more ball movement. Ironically I think this would help out James Harden the most.

SFbaybum and Rocket River like this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think there is a balance between iso-ball and ball movement. last year's team had more of that balance in my opinion.

9. Audioout

Audioout Member

Golden State leads the league in fines associated with complaints about calls this season. So, does it get old to you? Would you trade wins for them to stop doing it?

And as far as flopping, everyone in the league flops. It's a way of drawing attention to fouls being committed and has been a thing for as long as I've watched basketball. Draymond throws his legs and arms so much he pokes out eyes and kicks people in the nuts. Curry falls down on every three he shoots supposedly to protect his ankles but he also complains about calls often when doing this.

So, pot, don't call the kettle black.

SFbaybum and bballjunkie like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

there are those who only point out the bad tho...there are those who basically never have a good thing to say and will only show their faces after the Rockets have lost or are not playing well

HP3 and jcf like this.
  11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Really Harden and Paul could get super pissed next year. People act like these 2 disfunctional together, because they cant get passed 4-5 Allstars, and best team possibly ever put together in Warriors. Thing is, who da fuq is gonna get past this team?????

. Look houston is really good. I think there like the Miami Heat, Hardaway and Mourning era, who couldnt get past the Bulls in the East. I am really proud of this team. If they stay together i hope they can atleast add one more star peice to this team.

jcf likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Do you ever get tired of watching an overloaded team?

bballjunkie and topfive like this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Iso ball -- no, not really. That's how we play, and it frankly has worked well for us in general.

Flailing/flopping -- yes. I get tired of that. I also think people exaggerate the extent to which the Rockets do it relative to other teams.

Public complaining about refs or written reports to the NBA -- no. The Rockets are not alone in publicly complaining about the refs, and the complaints regarding the Warriors were legitimate. It's easy for the winner of a series to act like they are above complaining about refs. The Rockets never gave their report to the league, only discussed their findings and concerns with them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The media took the story and turned it into a huge deal, giving the impression that the Rockets have been complaining 24/7 about the officiating. When did the Rockets say anything about officiating publicly during this series, except briefly after game 1?

Denying an opposing player practice time -- lol, even if true I don't care that much about it, but there's reason to doubt it happened as reported by the press up there.

All in all, I'm far more annoyed by slanted, biased, narrative-driven negative coverage of the Rockets by the media than anything the Rockets actually do.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am to the point where I literally do not care about how they win or play. I would be happy if the Rockets wins every single game by flopping on every single call an shoot 200 free throws a game

Rockets basketball is no longer entertainment for me, I just want them to win, any way possible.

SFbaybum likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

I hate the isolation game. We used to call it "ball-hogging." It is a gift to the opposing defense. They don't have to shift, adjust, or even move. It is stupid basketball and against the elite teams, it is a joke and obviously doesn't work.

SFbaybum likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I prefer ball movement, but I prefer a W over my preference of play. So if ISO get the job done, so be it. BTW, I notice that almost every team with great player, have that great player ISO in crunch time throughout history of the NBA (at least the one I have watched).

The flailing and flopping is your opinion. The opposite of that opinion is they are fouled but they don't get the call. I tend to see it more as the latter - Harden in particular is being ref different from light-weight, physically weaker player like Curry. This isn't exactly new - Shaq was a monster at his position and they don't call fouls committed on him. Harden sees the same thing. I get more tire of this unfair treatment that benefit weaker and lighter guards.

SFbaybum, bballjunkie and saleem like this.
  17. pocketrocket81

Listen carefully OP ….I hope Portland kicks your teams ass to the curb and you never see another championship. Whether it's Portland,Toronto or Milwaukee I want you to watch your players and your coach and if the game or series isn't going your teams way let's see how they handle it. ::end rant::

SFbaybum and bballjunkie like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your team is the most talented out there. They also get the most benefit out there because of the refs. Even non Rockets fans know that. The facts confirm this this too. You are nothing but a pathetic troller.

bballjunkie likes this.
  19. vick

vick Member

For the Rockets to change their style of play, they need to get younger, taller, and more athletic. Iso ball is only thing they can do with this team So it Morey keeps this style up, this will be how they play. Quit signing short older players. Players other teams cut. Tilman said he would spend the money. So Morey quit going to Walmart looking for players. Tilman spends many millions on Houston Cougars stadium, basketball court, and Football coaches. So spend money on the Rockets Tilman, or please sell the team to someone who will.

20. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

As a fan, isoball is high risk high reward. Am I going to see a supernova performance by my favorite player ala Kobe to Lakers fans? Or am I going to see our guards take 16s off the clock trying to get the switch they want before taking a hurried or double teamed shot?

As for style of the game, I don't care one cent about the trends of the NBA re: what makes "beautiful basketball". That's been exposed by people who call games like the Clippers announcer / steroid abuser. Whatever gets us easy buckets. Given that we have one of the best shot creators in the game in Harden, I'm glad we go isoball.

As for the aversion to mid-range shots aka Moreyball, I think it's misrepresented as a concept on national TV. At the same time, I think it's misapplied in our execution especially when you look at how GSW applies the same concept. They love the 3 as much as we do but know and live out the importance of the mid-range. Cp and Harden and Green are more than capable / highly efficient.

As for the rest of the stuff you ask about, that's entirely optics that you're not seeing is happening leaguewide re: flopping, flailing, ref baiting, complaining about the refs, sending ref reports to the league, etc. Everyone does all of that. Harden gets a bad rep because it was never framed properly to begin with. People actually fouling him turned into "he's cheating the game" (clip actual analysts retweeting harden getting hit in the neck as if it was fake).

Complaining about officiating is necessary for the playoffs. See the Warriors do it throughout the regular season games related to the Rockets when we weren't even playing them.

The only thing that irked me about the report on the officiating for Game 7 of last year's WCF is that they decided to release that during this series. Felt it should have been released during the regular season.

Overall I think your questions are rooted in the fact that as an organization we have a huuuuge red target on our back. From star player to GM, it's warranted to some degree. But from a national reporting standpoint, we demand a better representation of the facts than what makes for a better story based on more clicks.

SFbaybum likes this.