1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien to call plays; not hire OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i am ok with this, i think Romeo will be able to rein him in. we just have to figure out this football thrower thing

2. Nook

Nook Member

The show down between two sewer rats to see who can deflect the most blame and survive a nuclear holocaust.

On one hand you have Rick Smith who has done EVERYTHING possible to ensure his job security regardless of mistakes and poor performance.

On the other hand you have the ego maniac with an IQ of 80 in Bill O'Brien, who regularly leaks information to the media about his own job prospects, his team and whatever else is needed to make it clear that the screw ups are not his fault.

I hope they both take the fall.

juanm34, RasaqBoi, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My take on all that was there wasnt much difference in the plays they were calling. They work together to make the offensive game plan and there isn't anything much different O'Brien would do vs Godsey.

So he let him call the plays so he could handle other stuff (like asking Lechler how to throw a challenge flag).

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Brandon Marshall is supposed to get released this offseason. Do you think there is a chance OB wants to go after him?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hear he's not the best teammate he can be. ;) Denver, Miami, Chicago, New York...all happy to move on.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

go get Chip!

7. Stoli

Stoli Member

This. Bingo!

8. Stoli

Stoli Member

Management likely "fired" Godsey after season.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

So the biggest change is to the side that had the most success. The offense, nah I got it. Somehow this is still Rick Smith's fault. Or maybe it is Bob McNair for not meddling and forcing his OC on the HC.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

He is good for one good year. And he is at the point where he really wants to be in the playoffs.

11. HstnSprtsFan101

We could definitely use him. Doubt it's a fit money wise though. Need Strong to stay healthy and be the guy across from Hopkins with Braxton in the slot. At this point, Fuller is more of a big play, call a few plays for him type guy than a full time outside WR. Needs to get a lot bigger/stronger and work on those hands.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Texans having a shaky start to the offseason already.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Assistant to the Assistant? Dundler Mifflin Houston can't handle all these lead roles!!!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh, I'll pass.

I'd take DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Alshon Jeffery, Terrelle Pryor or Kenny Stills but I don't think they're looking at WR and they don't have a QB so...

15. conquistador#11

this would make sense but o brian did fire the O line coach he brought here. I remember the talking hands spewing the, "this is b.o.b's team. finally some accountability in the organization."

16. Buck Turgidson

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

All we need is O'Brien more distracted from game management and his playcalling was no better than Godseys. This is typical bullshit!! This disfunctional franchise will just never get it.

#77 mick fry, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Does this mean his job was never in jeopardy? If his job was in jeopardy, he would have hired someone to fix the offense or take the blame again if it fails.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

This has a D'Antoni / Bzdelik feel to it.

Not the worst thing in the world. Maybe it pays off.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Next year will be OBie's last year with the Texans.

Good to know.