1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien to call plays; not hire OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Jan 18, 2017.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come to think of it this organization is not good at making easy decisions as well.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is this why O'Brien went nuts on the leaks for a couple weeks?

He was upset at this change?

Maybe firing his friend Godsey wasn't his call.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I like the move!
    No scapegoat this upcoming season!
    We'll see if godsey really was that bad.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Romeo will call plays behind the scenes ,but Obrien will have title and pressure from media.

5. HstnSprtsFan101

So Romeo will be our secret offensive coordinator? lol seems risky being he's kinda known for being a defensive mind. Can't be much worse than Godsey though :D

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Plenty of HC call plays. Off the top of my head, Kubes, Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, and a several more. I think Rex Ryan called Defensive plays, so did Pete Carroll. Son of Bum called plays in Dallas. Bottom line, it's not like BOB is doing something that's outrageous and unheard of. The best part is, if the offense doesn't work we know who to blame.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I forget...

Did Kubiak have an offensive coordinator? Does McCarthy? Does Reid? Does Payton? Did Rex Ryan or Wade Phillips have defensive coordinators? Does Carroll?

The answer for each is yes. It's unheard of for a coach to simply not have a coordinator. It probably has happened, but it's extremely rare. OBrien is basically saying he doesn't need any input on the offense from anyone, he just needs a couple of position coaches to make sure there is someone to repeat what he says.

Him calling plays isn't the issue.

8. Mr. Clutch

He's basically the OC with RAC as HC

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'd bet that the QB coach will have a lot of input.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, unheard of except of course for when Bill Belichick did it. Shockingly BOB is doing the same thing where he'll have a QB coach that is effectively the offensive coordinator.

12. conquistador#11

can't risk the new offensive coordinator coming in here with something other than the ugg boot offense. better to stay with that.

shotgun from the 2 yard line: hut hut hut, 43 is the mike, hut hut hut mike is 43 hut hut hut yellow yellow , red , red, hot hot.......................hand off for 1/2 yard,

13. Mr. Clutch

43 is the mike....then throw it to the mike

red5rocket and J.R. like this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans couldn't let us be excited for 48 hours. sigh

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if those OC's are not calling the plays... what significance do they really have in the grand scheme of things? All of those OC's on those teams are basically glorified WR and QB coaches.... and I guarantee you everybody here would be hard-pressed to name the Packers, Chiefs, and Saints OC's (hint... they're not going to up for any head coaching vacancies any time soon, unlike Baby Shan).

I figured this offense was only going to go as far as whoever was making the in game calls... and it did look a helluva lot better in year one of BOB calling plays, with less overall talent on the offensive side/skills positions.

That being said, I was completely welcome to a Dallas-like arrangement, where BOB can simply focus on being the head coach... while having a sound offensive mind on board to call plays for him.

The motivational aspects of BOB, along with him having a goal of versatility: attempting to make opponent specific gameplans/adjustments, are probably his best attributes.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Either a big ego, or he's insulating himself against a possible replacement.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll give this a chance before being too harsh on it, but BOB sure as hell better do a better job of calling plays next season than whoever called them this season.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

welp,

O'Brien was the HC + OC in 2014, and our offense was the best during this current era.

Then again, we had prime Foster that year

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I missed something but why are people saying OB only called all the plays for the Tenn game? I thought he said he was going to call plays "from now on" but that it wasn't a big deal and he has always called plays...or something like that? So he called plays for Tenn, supposedly things were better, but then he stopped calling plays after that? If true that is idiotic. If he needed to step in and call plays because Godsey was having trouble, how does giving him a one game break do anything? After years of working together, OB thought a one game timeout would lead to improvement and Godsey would learn by watching one game (even though he had previously watched countless games of OB calling plays)?

Or he always called plays in combination with Godsey but said he would call them from now on...but didn't?

Or he called every game starting with Tenn but didn't lead to improvement?

In any of the above scenarios I don't see how OB comes off looking like he knows what he is doing. He either is a bad manager of the offense or he is a bad play caller or he is a bad manager of people or some or all of the above.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think he was effectively able to call plays AND handle all the other extra responsibilities.... and he's been trying to delegate this responsibility since day one, and has had to take back the reigns on more than one occasion.

Hopefully he'll be able to handle the extra responsibilities more effectively... or delegate those while focusing on the offense.

It needs to be better... that's for sure. If its not better, he deserves more than enough blame.