1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien to call plays; not hire OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Jan 18, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can't wait for his ahole press conference where it says it really isn't a big deal.

2. justtxyank

To be clear, I'm not objecting to him calling plays, I'm objecting to him not having good offensive minds on the staff with him to work on plays. It's incredibly unusual, even for playcalling HCs, to refuse to have guys on staff who can see things from a different set of eyes.

He had one of the smallest staffs in the league from day 1 and has had a mediocre to poor offense that lacked creativity the entire time. Now he's making it smaller.

Tha_Dude and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Zeeshan & Patrick, I'm in year four. I have a five-year contract. Not a make or break year. I'll be the Texans head coach next year."

And Bob will probably offer an extension after next year so he's not a lame duck working on a one-year deal. Unless he wants out & decides to leave.

Could have some openings next year: Bears - Bengals - Browns - Colts - Jets - Lions - Saints - Titans - maybe a surprise or two?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well if his offense sucks again I don't think he won't ever have another job, but teams will be more skeptical

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

when he says he's got two years left on his contract or stuff like that, it's like he's counting down the time before his contract expires. I am not sure if he's angling towards an extension or contemplating to leave

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

If the offense is bad next year will he play QB too?

macho87 and roxallways like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

In other words....
    RAC Head Coach
    BoB OC
    Vrabs DC

Tha_Dude, macho87, Fiah and 3 others like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sean Ryan information; from the Texans official site:

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I won't play QB but I may provide you with another shitty QB that the City of Houston should really be proud of!"

"It starts with me, and Brock says it starts with him but it takes all of us. It's not just one person John. It's never just one person's fault. We gotta get better. It starts with me. We gotta coach better. We gotta execute better. We gotta play better. We gotta call better plays. We gotta do everything better."

Astrodome and roxallways like this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This was my first thought. If OB is who he thinks he is, then this will be a good move. If not, then it will finalize his ticket out of town.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm fine with the moves.

RAC can help with some of the in-game management (hopefully) while OB can call plays. Sometimes it really felt like OB was trying to do too much last year with his questionable game management -- i.e. Shane Lechler having to tell him to challenge something on one occasion, while OB was over talking to the offense.

I think the whole coach as a CEO thing is slightly overblown -- it is optimal, yes, but as long as you have a solid, experienced coordinator on the other side of the ball I don't think it's a huge issue with a HC calling plays.

Also, no worthwhile OC was going to come here anyway with a HC that only has one year left and knowing the OB is going to have control of the offense.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill, you're taking over play-calling duties. What does it mean going forward?

[​IMG]

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dundler Mifflin. Assistant to the Head Coach.

macho87, Rockets Pride and htownrox1 like this.
  14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Not a fan. But hopefully he'll bring in a great WR coach and offensive consultant (Mangini was rumored in the past)

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So next season will be worse than this one???

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So who is in charge of challenge flags, timeouts, and 4th down decisions?

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This organization is not good at making tough decisions.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

Mangini would be a terrible wr coach, mainly because he coaches defense

20. justtxyank

He must have a REALLY big ego.

His good friend Doug Marrone discussed joing his staff last year and chose not to, opting instead to go to Jax. He hasn't brought one single offensive coordinator level guy in since he took this job. They've all been position coaches that he let's "grow" in their jobs, but essentially nobody that comes in with a strong sense of what an offense should be.

RasaqBoi likes this.