1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill O'Brien and his ability to develop qb's

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketsTruth, Aug 22, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know you told @Bobbythegreat "wrong guy" but you are really sounding like that guy. It's not enough that Kizer got the job OVER white Brock Osweiler, you have to tell us how "they don't want it to work".... dude racism is a real thing, it's out there I know, but it doesn't help when people like you force it into a situation it isn't happening in.

2 years ago the "draft experts" had Brad Kaaya as #1 and Deshaun Watson as #2 picks OVERALL in the draft. Last year Watson threw a bunch of INT's and Trubisky/Mahomes broke out (kinda). RG3 was not considered a bust until he ACTUALLY BUSTED. Somehow, Tyrod Taylor still has a job, when has he flashed pro bowl status?? I think Luke Falk is good, you didn't even mention him, is he over hyped? No one is hyping Lamar Jackson (not because he is black) but because his game doesn't translate to the NFL. He is a run first QB, I bet he would be hyped like crazy as a RB.

Carson Wentz is better than Dak.... (not really, but maybe)

2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

I was never a believer in Brad Kaaya, Mahomes could be the next Derek Carr or the next Jay Cutler. Tyrod Taylor is actually underrated when healthy, im not a fan of tyrod taylor at all( he is too small and injury prone for my liking. But i some digging on tyrod and look what i found

apparently tyrod taylor ranks in the top 3 of the top 10 qb duels of pro football focus history( which goes back to 2002)

I like Trubisky, he can easily be Matt Stafford with seasoning in a few years, or he could be a bust like drew stanton. Very high ceiling

I have nothing againist white qbs, I have a man crush on Sam Darnold of USC. He is like Favre mixed with Winston. Generational talent, hope he doesnt end up on the jets. 49ers would be the best place for him

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-best-qb-duels-of-the-pff-era

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tom Savage ain't black enough to save Bill O'Brien's job. So far one person has. His name is Romeo Crennel.

The next black person to save his job will be Deshaun Watson after Tom Savage comes close to getting him fired.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. Youre a dumbass Clown breh. So, if Savage was black and Watson was white and they were put in the same situation, you would root for Savage as well. Probably as much racist info as I need to know about you, CLOWN!

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If the "IF" was true Watson would automatically be starting it wouldn't even be a quarterback competition. If Savage actually threw a couple of tds in actual real live games that count and didn't hold the ball long then I'd be rooting for him now... as long as the texans win. What i don't want to see is a week one full of bs offense and the defense over working to compensate for a offense that has too average of a non threatening qb with limited options at wide receiver. Overall the texans needs to translate their mental beliefs of success in reps and knowledge on the practice field to success when the big lights are on. Bill Obrien has failed with this offense to this point... but Savage knows the offense lol thats good give him a cookie!

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Bro, DW4 hasn't completed an NFL level throw yet.. I'm rooting for him but starting him would just be foolish.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

All this is CLOWN literature from you. Youve already stated the fact that Watson is the ONLY REAL qb that Houston has ever seen or had in a previous thread, denying the fact that Andre had a "real" qb throwing to him. I dont know if I could take anything you say seriously cause you already see things in a a 'darker' shade. Im already wasting my time.

Brass tacts: From the beginning Ive stated that Savage is our best course of action to start the season and whatever happens, happens. Watson is our future. Ive acknowledged as much. I just dont see it through racist rose shaded glasses like you do. Youre a joke.

PS: The Texans "mental beliefs" under Bill O Brian have been playoffs. So dispute that however you want to, but its above .500 and postseason. Once a CLOWN, ALWAYS A CLOWN. You might love 90% of our team but I love 100% of it, no matter what happens.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Thread gone south real quick. Smh

9. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Here's uncle Herm Edwards again like clockwork opening his mouth when the topic of a black qb comes up, he is saying what Bill Polian and Graz want to say but cant for fear of being labeled as racist. Thats the only reason Herm hasnt been layed off. That "preachers voice" may fool the average brotha but not me, he is like a snake oil salesman who is in the hood selling bootleg jordan's while the money goes to his boss and hes happy making 8%

He always says something negative to take away from black qbs success. EVERY DAMN TIME, so the offense was simplified for Dak, but not Wentz who average like 6.7 yards per attempt smh. And its funny how Herm always brings up the offensive line with Dak to try and discredit him, but he never does for Mariota or Derek Carr . NFL Live got rid of Ryan Clark real quick because he always called Herm out on his ****

Dak Prescott was 3rd in total qbr, thats a stat that ESPN created, and yet they put Dak in Tier 3 with guys like Joe Flacco. lol. Dak should be in Tier 2 based off last season. Had that been Wentz who broke Bradys records for most passes without a pick, and wins, arguably went head to head with Aaron Rodgers twice in one season and almost beat him twice, they would have said he is the next peyton manning

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah.....I'm pretty sure I didn't get the "wrong guy" and my original criticisms are valid.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You don't have to take what i say seriously but when Tom Savage starts the season and the offense is still trash in it's current state... then you can take that for what it is or blame the o line like most us Houston fans do.

If your happy with mediocrity and getting to the playoffs as a fake contender and getting beat by the real ones then whatever floats your boat but the results will be the results and so will the excuses. I'm willing to bet right now this team does better with Watson at QB now versus Savage. This defense will eventually break down it's too much pressure holding up a incompetent offense with a incompetent offensive philosophy.

Overall this team needs to shake it up and take the big risk completely. Start the man and move on from playing conservative and not to lose. Mark my words this will be another hard lessoned learned with Savage goes out there and gives us no threat or strong impact in his position.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He's completed some this is over the top. He's been inaccurate and that needs to improve but starting Savage will prove there's a lot more things he needs to improve on in general to get points put on the board for this offense period. Game plans will go in starting week one. I'm confident in what i know will happen with Tom Savage once the original play he runs gets stopped and he has react quickly.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Playing an even worse QB wouldn't make that any better though.....so I'm not sure what you are thinking here. When one guy is Tom Savage and the other guy is someone who can't throw an accurate pass beyond 5 yards or so....and sometimes struggles with the 5 yard passes, you absolutely have to go with Tom Savage and hope for the best.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

HardenTime welcome back.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

To say Watson is worse to start at this point is nothing more than a thought. That thought in reality is unknown. What we know is Watson is a threat that defenses have to adjust for simply because he can attack the defense in many ways that Savage can't. Watson gives his teammates a easier chance of getting open after plays breakdown. It's as simple as that. You too can have your excuses ready when Savage fails.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a thought backed by all available evidence and supported by the team.

While it is true that Watson is a far better running back than Savage, I don't think it's fair to say that he's a "threat" to defenses given his shortcomings when it comes to being a QB at the NFL level. Now, that doesn't mean that at some point in the future that Watson can't become a "dual threat" QB once he fixes all that is wrong with his game, but no sane, unbiased person thinks that he's there right now.

As to Savage failing, if he fails, it sucks....still doesn't mean you start the worse of 2 QB's simply because he has an undeserved and rabid fanbase. It's the Tim Tebow effect.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

As far as Watson succeeding or failing honestly i don't know how well or bad he would do overall. My prediction is based off the intangibles of simplying playing under pressure and having the will to make it happen no matter the circumstances that ultimately result to wins. The Watson has accurancy issues... definitely! Is he as bad as Tim Tebow... heck no. Not saying your saying that but i am saying his accuracy issues aren't so bad to the point he cannot make simple passes to get the team down the field... especially if he's playing with Hopkins and the rest of the starters. When i add everything up at the end of the day looking at the texans overall i just want to see them win. I just see Watson as the guy that can give them that better chance once games are played under gameplan type pressures.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, important to note, you are basing your judgement entirely on things done in college, and you are specifically ignoring his performances against 2nd and 3rd string NFL defenses or you'd have a different conclusion.

As to the accuracy, he's not Tim Tebow bad, but he hasn't demonstrated NFL caliber QB accuracy and that's just one of the things he needs to work on before he should even be in a serious conversation about starting. I appreciate the enthusiasm of his fanbase, but what you guys are calling for would very likely do him long term harm. It's MUCH better for him if he can sit for a year or so while perfecting the things he needs to perfect and then come out as a world beater.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I really feel what your saying their good points. To me there is a lot more unknowns with Watson then good and bad knowns. We haven't seen him start any type of game on the nfl level and play with ones for a very long period of time or a full game. We haven't seen him against a gameplan type defense. We haven't seen him with a decent offensive line. We have seen accuracy issues on long and short throws. We also have seen good passes dropped and/or fumbled by bubble type wide receivers and tight ends. I've seen little plays like the short pass to Bruce Ellington and Deonta Foreman that led to big gains because the defense has to respect Watsons ability to run.

But i do not want Watson to start and have that immediate success then a year later he sucks or come out and have a few good games then suck and have to be benched for Savage and never recover. So sitting out and developing has it's advantages especially for a smart qb like Watson. I'm just not as confident in Savage as everyone else... to me he has glaring issues that don't fit at all well with the weaknesses this offense already has.

20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Here is ESPN and uncle Herm Edwards crapping on another black qb. This time its Russell Wilson. smh, this fool is a joke, and at this point is a minstrel show. You fire ryan clark, but keep this dufus. He's only there to say what guys like Adam, Trey and Dan cant say on air without be called a racist

Notice whenever ESPN does a segment on a black qb. Its ALWAYS Herm Edwards there.. ALWAYS.

Jameis all of a sudden has to make the playoffs this year despite having a terrible oline, what about matt stafford who is 5-47 againist winning teams for his career signing the richest deal in nfl history. Russell Wilson's worst has always been better than Stafford best. Mariota isnt feeling any pressure for having never played a 16 game season, but remmeber when rg3 played. All the media kept talking about was his health

Unlike the NBA, the NFL from the owners to their media is full of bigots