1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien and his ability to develop qb's

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketsTruth, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

I mean the question must be asked, I dont think he knows what the hell he is doing. I dont watch the texans often, but from what i've seen their hasnt been a decent qb he has developed since he has been here. Deshaun Watson should not be looking as bad as he has looked in this preseason. He was a standout star as a passer in high school and college. Ranked as the best qb at both levels. And all of a sudden he cant hit the right side of the ocean. Im noticing that a lot of the texans tight ends and wr's run very shitty routes. I dont know if thats by design or if thats because these guys flat out suck.

If you think im making this up, look at the system the cowboys have for Dak Prescott. Thats the ideal system deshaun needs. A lot of play action, with boots, and go routes, slants. We know he doesnt have the strongest arm, but neither did aaron rodgers as a rookie. Arm strength is something you can develop over time. Watson can disect defenses already and has decent pocket presence. What kills him is what killed teddy bridgewater. When you are not building your system around the skillset of your qb, you are indirectly telling the fans and most scouts you cant adapt to talented players. When you have a qb of Watson calibur you cater to his skillset not try to fit a square peg in a round hole, because when you do that it shows too me a coach who is NOT creative and can not think outside of even the basic dynamics of the game. Scott Linehan is a much better offensive coach than bill o'brien. Remmeber Christian Hackenburg was a highly recruited qb coming out of high school( who was seen as how we see Sam Darnold today). And O'Brien ruined this kid at Penn State before he left for the Texans job.

I know you guys think im making excuses for Watson, but i truly believe this guy is a Dak/Mariota hybrid. He just needs a coach with a bit of creativity and can adapt and not be afraid to be different. I think thats one of the reasons O'Brien goes after garbage qbs, its so he can control them. Guys like Savage are backups in this league, but O'Brien feels safe with them because they will run his sh!tty offense and score like 17 points a game. And with our defense that maybe enough to go 10-6. Its sad man that i enjoy watching the cowboys offense, its like a spread offense mixed with a bit of oregons no huddle

Htownballer38 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Scott Linehan went from a dropback passer in tony romo to dak prescott( a spread qb like deshaun watson) and had success with a new offensive scheme( that shows offensive coaching iq), and brought him along slowly, yes zeke played a apart in some of that. But deshaun and dak have the same work ethic. You are just not gonna out work these guys

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And honestly I kind of want it to stay that way. Since you are a racist that only cares about the color of a QB's skin, I know that the second Watson becomes the QB here, you'll pretend to be a fan....so if for no other reason than preventing you from pretending to be a Texans fan, I sort of hope it never happens.

The Texans don't need people like you pretending to be fans.....how's that for truth?

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Texans also don't have a talent in the backfield like Zeke nor an O-line as good as the Cowboys. No TE as reliable as Witten and no slot receiver as capable as Beasley.

Not everything is similar between Dak and Deshaun's situations, OP, so I don't think you can place the blame squarely on O'Brien.

Sanity2disChaos and Jatman20 like this.
  5. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Zeke didnt play in the last preseason game againist colts, and dak beasted. Face it O'Brien doesnt know know what the hell he is doing, and only likes to deal with low ceiling qbs, because he is afraid to fail with qbs with great potential

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Tom Savage is 1/4 Black.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

"QB/Offensive guru" :D

I guess he got it from working with Tom Brady?

Newlin likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You might have just changed his entire opinion about him.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Absolutely agree with you.

He doesn't know what he's doing.

It's not just the coaching, it's also the casual throwing away of draft picks, the dismantling of an excellent OL, signing Lamar then just running him up the middle, the crappy schemes, the QB carousels, etc

And yes the routes suck as do all the wrs except Hopkins and Fuller

#10 Mr. Clutch, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    J.R. likes this.
  11. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

scott linehan, todd haley, and bruce arians are bigger offensive gurus than BOB... neither one of those coaches would start a qb like tom savage lol

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no competent coach that would start your boy Watson over Savage. None.

I get what you are trying to sell, but it's without merit....and frankly, a bit stupid.

13. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

bill o brien is nothing but hype dude, gary kubiak is better coordinator than this dude. kubiaks problem is that he didnt understand situational football, but he has bob beat by a mile when it comes to offensive iq. Bill O'Brien would make aaron rodgers look like rg3 lol

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't address what I said. I'm no BOB fan, but literally no competent head coach would start your boy Watson over Savage this season. Deal with it.

15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

You kinda lost me on the Hackenberg-Sam Darnold comparison.

I mentioned around draft time that Sam Darnold was highly rated coming out of the college ranks next summer;
    but how I would pass on him because of his long, winding, looping motion prior to release. I saw how people
    are reporting recently that Sam Darnold was considering staying another year after this season to somewhat
    correct his throwing motion. We will see how much he can tighten up that wind up and delivery this year.

Are you saying O'Brien ruined Darnold since high school? Or the USC current coach has messed up Darnold
    since coming out of high school? Regardless.....it doesn't matter.

I've been the toughest on Watson since the Texans drafted him; but I see a lot of good from him.

PROS:
    *I've said he must slide well in advance of defenders, like Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott.
    Watson has been superb at sliding after the run.

*Get rid of the ball quickly rather it is Savage or Watson. A few years ago the NFL QB's had to get rid of the
    ball 3.8 secs on the average. Recently teams now have devastating edge rushers coming off both edges; not
    just the left side blind side. Teams have learned to attach the less skilled right tackle by moving a great pass rusher
    to that side on different plays while throwing overloaded blitzes on other downs. Plus double guys hitting
    up the A-gap. Now QB's probably have 3.2 secs to get rid of the ball. Houston QB's probably had to get
    rid off the ball in 2.8 secs after Derek Newton went down (after 6 games last season). May not be much better
    this year. Hopefully D Brown comes back and Martin shores up the middle with a much improved Jeff Allen.
    I like Quessenberry over Xavier Su'a Filo.

*Form a huddle and command the huddle. He does it. Don't laugh. Many QB's coming out nowadays can't
    get a huddle going. Hackenberg was sent home during practice last week because he couldn't break the
    huddle property. This is not Hackenbergs first year. Sad.

*Dont look one receiver and then tuck and run. Went through his progressions in the 1st preseason game for
    many plays. Kinda regressed vs the Patriots in the 2nd preseason game. *+* Will mention a sidenote at end.

*I noticed during the Panthers game that Watson would go from tap dancing while in the pocket to all of
    a sudden standing flat-footed locked on a target down field. As a defender that's an indicator that Watson
    is about to throw to that receiver (trying to get separation at end of route or break route). Safeties will pick up
    on that and break towards the target. A big No-No in my opinion. Watson fixed that the next game vs the Pats.
    So I think O'Brien is actually coaching Watson up.

Tebow was a terrible practice player because he was so inaccurate, so he wanted to run all the time.
    Coaches knew he could run......that didn't need practice. He needed to practice throwing the ball.
    Tebow in college use to lift weights with the offensive linemen and his coaches kept getting after him to
    knock it off. Tebow did the same, from interviews I have read, while in the NFL. It was more important to
    show off the guns than thread a football throwing a moving target like a car tire. That's my theory.
    David Boston was a wide receiver that kept working out and started doing covers of fitness magazines.
    His coaches got after him about going from receiver size to TE size. They told him he needed to pick
    body building or football. The muscle mass and bulk was interfering with his play. His career soon ended.

CONS
    *Throw the ball in the red zone. I know he can run. That end zone Corner fade is atrocious. Work on all the
    throws in the red zone.

*More plays under center. Erhardt-Perkins offense pushes idea of run with QB under center....play action.
    Run sets up the pass, predominantly.

*Accuracy.

*Manage the clock. Panthers game was a cluster **** in last 2 minutes before half-time. Watson was QB
    but I don't know if the coaches were testing Watson on the 2-minute drill without guidance. BO'B turned it
    over to his assistants and they screwed up. BO'B screwed up and laid an egg. BO'B took the blame
    for the 4th and 6 draw play in a half time interview. Who knows.....maybe Savage audibled to run??

All can be worked out. I still stand by my draft TJ Watt with Nate Peterman in a later round. But we got what we
    got. Make the best of it.

*+* I won't hold it against Watson for struggling against back ups of the Patriots the same way I'm telling
    people to cut Riley McCarron some slack for struggling vs that same group. The Patriots practice against
    the Erhardt-Perkins offense that the Texans run every day. They of all teams know how to defend our plays.
    In preseason teams mostly play man-to-man....
    Riley got crushed with corners leaving their man and reading
    the QB's eyes. Basically switching to zone. Riley was shocked by it. Get use to it McCarron. Adjust.
    Watson will face a defense that ranked like 31st last season. I expect a better showing by Watson vs the Saints.

Edited: not forcing the ball and getting interceptions is my biggest pet peeve. That goes with throwing
    the ball away.....Another Pro Watson is doing well with.

#15 Jatman20, Aug 22, 2017
    CallMeTheDream likes this.
  16. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Bill O' Brien was the coach at Penn State when Christian Hackenburg was a frosh at Penn State and was seen as a lock as a future number 1 overall pick by several scouts. BOB hired some coaches and ruined the kids mechanics, and Hack has never been the same since. He was still taken in the 2nd round even though his college career would tell you he should have been a 6th rounder

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hristian-hackenberg-could-be-drafts-no-1-pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-hackenberg-easily-a-topfive-nfl-draft-pick

And i wasnt comparing Darnold to Hack as players, i was comparing them as how they were seen as by scouts around the same time in college. It just illustrates my point that BOB erodes elite qb talent, and cant develop.

Jatman20 likes this.
  17. CallMeTheDream

Lol did I miss something here???

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This guy has a history of being a nut and this is just the latest. He has an unhealthy obsession with black QB's....any black QB, and I just called him out for it.

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

wrong guy

20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Thank you for clearing that up for me. One has to beware when presented with college stats and records.

Many variables and factors:

Injuries

Schedule

Competition

Systems (Case Keenum had passing records, Colt Brennan had records, Alex Smith was a prolific passer
    in college.....a manage the game guy in the NFL)

Best team talent tends to have best results. Michigan usually beats a Bowling Green. A Bowling Green will
    usually beat a division II team. Like high school 5A teams should beat most 4A and 3A teams.

But that's not to say that Clowney is trash because he has little talent around him.

Or Tony Romo is garbage because he went to a small school. Teams with less talent will have less wins,
    while teams with more talent.

BO'B was with Hackenberg his freshman year, and Hackenberg attributes much of his success that year
    to BO'B. He often told people he learned so much during his time with Bill. Not sure how it's BO'B's fault
    for things unraveling. He found a better job.

Hackenberg
    2013 (w/BO'B) 134.0 Rating
    2014 (w/o BO'B) 109.4 Rating
    2015 (w/o BO'B) 123.9 Rating

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-hackenberg-1.html

Hackenberg was "Big-Boy" enough to raise his Rating from 109.4 to 123.9. Some times people have to
    take responsibility for their own success of failures. There was always Payton Manning QB camps or
    Andrew Luck QB camps he could have attended.

#20 Jatman20, Aug 22, 2017
    TheFreak likes this.