1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien and his ability to develop qb's

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketsTruth, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If so, I apologize. The same guy has had multiple accounts here, one was called "HardenTime" another was something to do with Melanin and I thought you were another one of them. He pops up every now and again with threads very similar to this one where he blames every problem that every failed black QB has had on other factors.....and he talks about nothing else.

2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Thank you for clearing that up for me. One has to beware when presented with college stats and records.

Many variables and factors:

Injuries

Schedule

Competition

Systems (Case Keenum had passing records, Colt Brennan had records, Alex Smith was a prolific passer
    in college.....a manage the game guy in the NFL)

Best team talent tends to have best results. Michigan usually beats a Bowling Green. A Bowling Green will
    usually beat a division II team. Like high school 5A teams should beat most 4A and 3A teams.

But that's not to say that Clowney is trash because he has little talent around him.

Or Tony Romo is garbage because he went to a small school. Teams with less talent will have less wins,
    while teams with more talent.

BO'B was with Hackenberg his freshman year, and Hackenberg attributes much of his success that year
    to BO'B. He often told people he learned so much during his time with Bill. Not sure how it's BO'B's fault
    for things unraveling. He found a better job.

Hackenberg
    2013 (w/BO'B) 134.0 Rating
    2014 (w/o BO'B) 109.4 Rating
    2015 (w/o BO'B) 123.9 Rating

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-hackenberg-1.html

Hackenberg was "Big-Boy" enough to raise his Rating from 109.4 to 123.9. Some times people have to
    take responsibility for their own success of failures. There was always Payton Manning QB camps or
    Andrew Luck QB camps he could have attended.

Success in high school doesn't always guarantee success in college. Success in college doesn't
    always guarantee success in the NFL. Only guarantees in life are Death & Taxes.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Let's just say the jury is still out. If he can't adapt his "system" to different skill sets he is never going to be the real QB guru. I can coach Tom Brady. First lesson, here is the ball, go out and be Tom Brady.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

While O'Brien hasn't really proved to be an offensive genius, I don't really see him advertised as that much anymore. The jury is still out on his quarterback prowess, but Savage's progress shows it's not all smoke and mirrors. Besides that O'Brien has proven to be a great leader of men, that at the very least, surrounds himself with excellent assistants.

Let's pump the brakes on the overreaction to Watson's apparent mistreatment.

You do that, and I'll gladly see myself out of this pitifully terrible thread.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Says a guy claiming Teddy Bridgewater is JUST as good as AARON RODGERS if on the Packers.

Rodgers not having a strong arm "at first" isnt true. Alex Smith had the arm concerns not Rodgers, though Smith still went #1. The only question of Rodger's arm was he "held ball too high".

The Black man (QB) is being "held back" by stiff White man (Coach). Thats a tired narrative, being forced BACK into player-interest. Can't take your eval close to serious.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Vrabel will be head coach next year and he'll get an offensive coordinator

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So why is the defense so good and the offense historically bad?

Htownballer38 likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Watson develops into an all-pro QB, OBie will get no credit. Watson got good in spite of OBie.

9. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Stopped reading at " I don't watch the Texans often"

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"coaching him up" can only do so much. The player is ultimately responsible.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Mr. C still longing for those 2-14 days.

12. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

I'd have to say the GM and his scouts. Rick as done a good job scouting defensive talent but poorly on offensive end.

Also not sticking up for B'OB since he clearly is not a offensive guru or QB guru.

13. baubo

baubo Member

At this point if you think it's everyone else's fault O'Brien hasn't developed anyone here, any other example around the league wouldn't change your mind. If you're of the opinion that O'Brien's "QB Guru" tag has always made no sense, Watson's performance so far just continues that idea.

Honestly if O'Brien is a QB guru and we can't give him the opportunity to do his stuff then the people around him should be fired. But the Texans are always gonna Texan and just settle for mediocrity and status quos.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why do yall play this silly ash race card. Do you not see all the bullcrap thats going on with thid racist skit. Come on Bobby chill out.

OP has a legitimate concern. Three years and we still don't have a freaking QB. They finally grab a sack and move up to get one and you starts the back up. Who mind you he didn't have faith in since drafting him. Key clues:

1. Brought in Hoyer and Mallett to compete for the starting job. Savage wasn't even thought of.
    2. Brock Assweiler, enough said.
    3. Went up in the draft to draft Watson.

He didn't even give Watson a shot to win the job. Look at the games again. He made sure to simplify the offense and have Savage dink and donk. That way he looks better than advertised. Then he comes out and say Savage has a better feel to what they are trying to run, his offense. He had Watson going down the field knowing he is not that accurate with the deep ball. So I question why didn't he run the same dink and donk offense for Watson. Why didn't he give him a shot to run with the first team? Easy he didn't want the rookie to shine because his mind was made up way before OTAS. His mindset of a rookie QB is not ready would've been questioned by many. That's why he wouldn't run the same dink and donk offense he had Savage running.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Great question

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So 9-7 is the new 7-9?

17. Mr. Clutch

I went back and looked at his New England Patriots tenure.

Interestingly enough, he was never officially Offensive Coordinator. He was "acting" Offensive Coordinator for a year, and then Belichick didn't give him the OC job so he left.

Patriots fans didn't think he was a good OC, btw.

RocketsTruth likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

The problem is they make decisions together. Really Rick just gets the players the coaches wants. It makes sense that Crennel would be better at this with his long experience and track record.

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

a lot of people are mad in the media that Deshone Kizer won the starting job over Osweiler and Cody Kessler. They kept telling us that he needed to sit out a year, they wanted his career to end up like most of the qb's who are super talented but are often in bad situations(Brett Hundley comes to mind). I promise you Kizer will throw for at least 3,800 yards and over 22 td's his rookie year and the browns with their defense will be competitive. Todd McShay, and Bill Polian know Kizer and Watson are talented. They just hope they dont break out in year 1, where it becomes too obvious where the franchise cant draft a qb in the first 4 rounds the following draft. You see the truth is unlike with white rookie qbs, black rookie qbs have to flash pro browl potential their first year or they are seen as a bust. If RG3, Cam, Wilson, Dak, Winston, didnt burst out year 1, the media would be on their ass the following season about a make or break year and most likely they would have to deal with the same garbage coaching staff the next year, unlike Paxton Lynch, and Jared Goff who got new coaches and change of scenery. These so called draft experts at the end of the day are nothing more than salesman for the NFL. Darnold is damn good, but Rosen too me is overhyped, and Josh Allen is a bust waiting to happen. Lamar Jackson too me is right there with Darnold as a prospect( and if he were white), he would be getting hyped as a number 1 pick,no doubt in my mind

I'm not making this stuff up hell you still have people that think Carson Wentz is better than Dak Prescott

#39 RocketsTruth, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

herm edwards talks just to save his job. Cam Newton and Andrew Luck are both injured. Both take a bunch of hits, but he only calls out Cam for being wreckless, The Colts have built a decent o-line around Luck. Luck refuses to take the checkdown, and holds the ball way too long( its same thing Winston is learning to get over). He keeps screaming the colts should protect Andrew Luck lol, meanwhile he says this is a make a break for Newton lol

also notice on BSPN whenever they are talking about a black athlete or black qb in the NFL, they always get Herm Edwards for the NFL to say something negative what they want the non-black guy to say. Its the same thing with Stephen A. Smith and the NBA athletes and players.

#40 RocketsTruth, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017