1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best guess on what Daryl Morey does next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 29, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah just going through many of the names that got inflated contracts that year who are even worse than ryno tells you alot

and yes now that the money is dried up as time has gone by, it sucks for the guys who couldnt cash in at the right time

2. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not trying to defend anyone. I am just being factually accurate. Morey was told to spend the money and sign big free agents or face the consequences. Anderson turned down more money to sign with Houston as well. If you want to rip Morey for something, rip him for passing on Leonard in the draft when he knew damn well he was more gifted but didn’t want to wait for him to develop.

apollo33 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  3. onreego

onreego Member

Some recent reports said he was happy in Minnie just disappointed by Wiggins's and maybe KAT's effort. He might just see it as an opportunity to step up his leadership skills—especially in a contract year.

I'm curious if there's a three-way that could potentially help the Rockets get Wilson Chandler while sending Ryno to a team willing take a bad contract for picks. Denver wants to shed salary so maybe there's a way for Morey to take advantage of that situation.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know how anybody can really think a guy like Morey would sign Ryan Anderson with that contract by his own decision.

5. Senator

Senator Member

His 40 million until contract expiry limits the moves houston can make, made worse by the extensions you give capella and Paul. It is a huge problem and to pretend otherwise is being naive.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If we can't get on Butler or any appealing 2019 free agents right now, my main hope is that Morey can flip Anderson and a minimal asset(s) (top-25 protected 1st and a 2nd/prospect, at worst) for a player that can at least play against the Warriors.

Players like Bazemore or Carroll who are on bad but lesser contracts compared to Ryan would be optimal. Hopefully, these kinds of players could be had for much less than if we need to dump the entirety of Anderson's contract on to them.

Look at the Kings. If we could get Shumpert and Temple from them for Anderson and a top-20 protected 1st, it would be amazing.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. kgw

kgw Member

Break up one bad contract into two bad contracts, each of which is probably more moveable. Maybe something like Anderson for Dellavedova and either Henson or Snell.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

@The Cat posted a piece few weeks ago about Butler saying he doesn't want to wait for young players to develop some sort of winning mentality etc, and that he wants to win, i'm sure he'll give everything for the Wolves this season, but i can definitely see him leave next summer if not asking for a trade at the deadline if things don't go well...looks like the West is going to be a bloodbath next season.

Rockets
    Warriors
    Lakers
    Jazz
    Pelicans
    Blazers
    Nuggets
    Wolves
    Thunder
    Grizzlies
    Spurs (if they don't start a rebuild)
    Dallas (they'll try to be in the mix, not sure about their roster, but they have one of the best coaches in the league)

Some good teams will not make the playoffs, Wolves might be one of those, you never know.

onreego likes this.
  9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

If they can can resign everyone and swap Ryno for Schroeder or Bazemore then it’s a good offseason. Hell, Ryno’s for anyone who can be play against GS is a win.

I’d be interested to see who people thing the Rockets can get while getting rid of Ryno? Melo is an obvious candidate if they can find a third team but I don’t see that happening.

Hopefully, they can replace Nene with Mo Speights. I like Nene but he is too limited.

Lastly, they have to find a serviceable veteran backup PG.

CP3/Schroeder?
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/Green
    PJ/Luc
    Capela/Speights

Pretty good IMO

#69 DM'sVP, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Trade Ryan Anderson and our 2019 1st round pick for Tyson Chandler and Jared Dudley;
    Use the MLE to sign Tyreke Evans;
    Use vet min to resign Gerald Green; and
    Match any deal on Capela.

PG: Paul / Gordon
    SG: Harden / Green
    SF: Evans / Dudley
    PF: Tucker / Edwards / Zhou
    C: Capela / Chandler / Nene

Hakeemtheking and hibbetts like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Everyone complaining about Ryno ….. its unfounded. He's NOT hindering Morey from signing any potential FA's …. They are over the cap with or without Ryno and can only sign players via exceptions like the MLE / BAE or bird rights (it is an exception).

The only thing Ryno affects at this point is how far over the cap / into lux tax territory they are.

Because the team is over the cap , having a piece on such a large contact that you don't mind shedding isn't such a bad thing , it gives you a LOT of options via trade which you wouldn't otherwise have without that big dollar value and the shorter the deal becomes … the more of a positive asset it becomes.

You guys need a lesson in cap management / flexibility 101.

Wulaw Horn, bilaal14 and Trackwell like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Butler is a Tibs kind of player (almost prototypical) and Tibs is a GM-coach. For that reason alone i would guess the chances of a Butler deal have to be very low.

BMoney and Trackwell like this.
  13. GottaHaveHeart

I like Muhammad, Evans, and Ellington

14. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Run it back. Not very exciting but seems likely at this point.

523744 likes this.
  15. 523744

523744 Member

Should be the slogan for the 2018-19 season.

16. No Chill Rocket

Would be nice if we could play with house money and have one of our draft picks/RGV players have a break out season and crack the rotation. One could only dream :confused:.

17. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Plus Anderson quit on the team. He didn't really even try. Every time he got the ball he passed it to someone else, and the few times he shot it he threw up a brick. His contract is an enormous anchor on us. Cost us Lebron and we will probably end up having to buy him out. I think it would be cheaper to buy him out then have his huge cap hit against the luxury tax if we sign CP3 and Capela to max contracts.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hmm...

Vivi likes this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. The question might be would you give up a 1st (which will very likely in the high 20s) to swap Bazemore and Anderson? My guess is no. The offer would likely be Zhou Qi and Houston's 2020 2nd...which Atlanta would say no to.

20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Plan B

Capella
    Gordon
    1st rounder
    I know I'm reaching