1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best guess on what Daryl Morey does next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 29, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is not a move to make. We have no space. Bring back Paul, Capela, and Ariza, and hope you don't miss 27 straight 3's.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

People keep talking about how Houston had a small margin of error. We missed 27 three-pointers, had 3 Harden threes ruled non-shooting, 2 Bell illegal screens for 6 points for the warriors... and still only lost by 9. That's insane, and it isn't a small margin of error, it's a wide one. One of those things goes right and we win. Oh, and don't forget the CP3 injury.

3. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Bring the whole gang back, give EGo an extension, use MLE to resign Green and Mbah a Moute to multi-year deals, take fliers on multiple guys at min. contracts, possibly Bruno Caboclo, Nick Calathes, Lucas Noguera, Glenn Robinson III, Richard Jefferson, Gerald Henderson, Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson, James Ennis...etc etc. Ryno will still be on team and will contribute during regular season and we'll all be like, oh I guess he really was hurt in playoffs. He won't contribute much more in playoffs next year though and then next summer he will be used as expiring contract to try and trade for another star...

kjayp likes this.
  4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We need to add a few more guys that are playable against GSW.

@Nook (I think?) suggested Bazemore+Dedmon for Ryno, fillers, and picks in another thread

I think that's a low downside move that gives us legitimate rotation pieces at critical positions.

bilaal14 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. Moleb

Moleb Member

Haha I love this!

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not Jimmy Butler. We don't have the assets.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I think Jimmy Butler will be the next target. EG/ Melton and first rounders might be offered. Perhaps a 3rd team may also be involved. I think there is a 30 percent chance of success here. Perhaps a bit more too.
    I would be happier with EG and Butler but that's almost impossible to pull off.

9. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Yes

Ryris likes this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think its the same thing Morey's been doing for quite a while...field a team capable of competing AND build assets to acquire a star.

To me, that means re-signing your quality vets to quality deals.

Specifically I'm thinking about Butler. If the Wolves are willing to trade him, I don't think they will want to go into rebuilding. Gordon + Ariza + some prospects and picks might not look bad to them. Then again, if Ariza's contract gets ridiculous, I might let him walk and do something creative like the much discussed Anderson-Bazemore swap or resign Moute and make him my starter.

We have to start rebuilding our asset cache if we want to have any chance at adding another star.

saleem likes this.
  11. rockets13champs

Harden to Jimmy Butler: welcome home

D-rock likes this.
  12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Ryno plus fillers for Kevin Love.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

That's a major, MAJOR reason to get rid of him, though. We're trying our hardest to compete for a title - who knows how "open" the window is?

We can't just hope for a complete turnaround, with Ryno. He had the entire season + postseason to return to form; as good a coaching staff as we have, they didn't identify that Ryan Anderson would be capable of doing well in the postseason.

And back to the subpar play to pay ratio: it's not just that Anderson is playing a bit below what's expected of someone with his salary - he's playing like he should be earning 1/20th of that salary. No one would be complaining if he could average 12-14 points, making three to four 3pters a game, like he did the first year we got him. But he's completely fallen off.

In a perfect world, we'd flip him for assets worth more than he is, as you've said. But at this point, I (and probably most other Rockets fans) would just rather have 2-3 players that would be paid the same amount of money, collectively, be on the court. Because those players can at least be productive, for the money.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tries to trade Anderson for Melo

seclusion, bilaal14 and lionaire like this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

But who are you referencing? Like what team has 2/3 subpar players who are poised for a bounce back in exchange for Ryno? Because, if we're trading Ryno (plus possibly a pick) for 2/3 crappy players it isn't really worth it. Maybe you could say we could get some form of luxury tax relief to help out Tilman, but I doubt that in itself would be enough either. Morey can't just rid himself of Ryno, he needs that deal to gain worth either by Ryno getting better or by the Rockets eating more of his salary. Now, if you're talking 2/3 players this trade deadline? Sure, we could flip him for some more risk/reward players. I would easily see that.

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Butler, O. Porter Jr or Bazemore.

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

Morey needs to sign players that are good enough on defense to not kill the team. Going after the best shooters without thinking of anything else is how Morey got himself stuck with Ryan Anderson.

saleem likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem is Ryno is less about his overall play on his contract and more that he is unplayable against the one team standing in our way. He hardly played this playoffs, had a relatively subpar season and we didn't really need him until we got to GS. I'm sure Morey would happily keep paying Anderson 20 mil a year if he only came to play against the warriors and gave us a knockdown shooter and average defender. We are good enough even with 20 mil committed to him to be able to eat up most teams. What we need is someone who moves the needle against GS.