1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Beacon Journal] Rockets Interested in Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gostros

gostros Member

I have to agree, I think if we get Artest, Varejo for the MLE would round out the roster nicely. We would be looking at:

1:MJ/Rafer
    2:T-Mac/Bonzi/Head
    3:Artest/Battier/Novak
    4:Varejo/Hayes
    5:Yao/Deke/Jake

Thats a pretty solid starting five with Bonzi, Shane and Rafer coming off the bench for a really solid 8 man rotation. Also, I think subbing in the Detroit PF Williams (Armin?) for Varejo would also be promising.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you are referring to Amir Johnson from Detroit. He is going to be very hard to obtain from them IMO.

3. JD317²

JD317² Member

not a bad line up.
    I just don't want to see Varejao taking big shots as he did in the finals.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

WTF... NO NO NO NO NO... Please nooooooooo

5. slpntz

slpntz Member

He should not have had the ball in the first place during such a crucial point in the game. That's like giving the ball to Rafer and having him drive to the hoop for a game winning shot.

6. Theking

Theking Member

more like he looks like a d******d..

he would be a disgrace to the city of houston.

if they sign him, i will personally start a trade varejao for juwan howard patition.. thats how much the dude SUCKS

7. Possum

Possum Member

If a player makes the team better and he is cost efficient then why not? Is he better than Hayes?

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If we got Varejao for the MLE, I'd be shocked. One, because I believe Cleveland will match any MLE offers. Two, because I'd expect someone to offer a deal above the MLE. There's the additional likelihood that Cleveland would try and go the S&T route if they knew he was not willing to stay with them for the MLE.

Everything depends on what Varejao truly wants (money, role, a contender) and what he's willing to do. How loyal is he to Cleveland?

I don't mind the idea of him platooning the position with Hayes, certainly doesn't bother me nearly as much as others here. But I wouldn't take this interest to mean he's likely to be a Rocket. At least not yet.

Evan

9. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

The teams that can offer more than the MLE with him are Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando, Atlanta and Memphis.... None of them really seem like they would be interested in Varejao...So he's left with MLE or S&T.... Cleveland doesn't have to do the S&T and can just keep him unless they get some really good pieces for him...

I'd say Cleveland holds all the cards here....

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Varejao is basically a taller version of Hayes. The one benefit is Varejao can defend opposing centers better, whereas Hayes is at a serious disadvantage (although he did a decent job last year when he had to). I'd say pass on Varejao. Having a lineup of Varejao AND Hayes at PF means you will always have one guy on the court who is not a scoring threat. They make Jho look like Kobe out there. Which means defenses will be able to sag a lot more and watch Yao/Tmac. I just don't see it, especially in an Adelman offense. If we want to make a run at a championship we need 5 starters who have the potential to score in certain moments.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Here's a direct quote from Morey via a website that's banned for its infamous opinion pieces.

12. conquistador#11

spanish singer david bismal
    [​IMG] :p

I know that many here think he is just another Chuck hayes;but there aren't that many chuck hayes out there,so that on to itself is quite a compliment.The difference is,Anderson is taller and has a better midrange shot.If bonzi makes up his mind and if james gets to start over #12,we can all live with someone who is not an offensive threat.
    Battier,chuck hayes,anderson,and vspan....we will lead the league in charges taken.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

On the remotest of chances that Varejao were to become a Rock he will quickly become beloved. Quickly. Shame it hainta gotta chance to occur.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Insulting...? Hmmm, a little. But I'd place a small tip jar wager that (even though it may not include you) the majority of Chuck Hayes fans are anti-Andy. Blind loyalty is a powerful drug.

No argument...Varejao flops a little too much. But during the past NBA season, he was one charge short of doubling the number of charges taken by Shane Battier...99 to 50. Andy was 22 charges taken ahead of 2nd place Devin Harris.

15. BobbyLI

BobbyLI Member

I just hope varejao is the rockets last option at the 4 spot

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

at least rafer would hit the rim.....varaejo would try a 360 spin left hand hook for an all nba 1st team defender

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am a fan of both Chuck Hayes and Varejao and I would think people who appreciate Hayes would be more likely to appreciate Varejao than the rest of the population. They have a lot of similarities, one of which is being underappreciated by people who only look at fantasy basketball stats.

Any Hayes fans out there who actually do not like Varejao's game?

18. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

I'm a big hayes fan and have loved him every since we first signed him. I used to think varejao was pretty good until the playoffs when I decided that I couldn't stand to see him play, I can't stand his flopping. I would almost have to say its worse than manu but no quite. If the rockets cant find anyone better than varejao to play the power foward though, then varejao wouldnt be that bad of a choice I guess. Although I wouldn't really wanna have a manu type flopping player on the Rockets

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

i hate that phrase 'high energy player'

hes a huge flopper, and doesnt have a good basketball IQ, he threw away any chance the cavs had of winning one game, and then he didnt even see anything wrong with what he did. As of right now, I dont like him... even tho I met him and got his autograph in SA last week... haha

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why, or how, is there a Varejao v Hayes argument? On that remotest of chance this eventuated then 'Andy' gets the 10 or so MPG behind Yao as well as 20 or so at 4.

They are not the same player. Chuck is maxed out with great ethic. Andy still has upside.

Give me both.