1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Beacon Journal] Rockets Interested in Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 19, 2007.

1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Linkage

Third, the teams with open salary-cap space -- Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando, Atlanta and Memphis -- aren't obvious fits for Varejao. That means if he wants a deal worth more than the midlevel exception ($5.5 million), it might happen only in a sign-and-trade. The Cavs don't have to cooperate, so it might be a standoff.

Nonetheless, several teams figure to be interested in bidding on Varejao. According to league sources, one of them is expected to be the Houston Rockets, who are looking to get more athletic and are overhauling their power forward spot.

2. vincentt

vincentt Member

I don't know we might as well just resign chuck hayes

3. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

Maybe I just don't know Verajao's game, but he seems like a taller, but redundant, version of Chuck Hayes. I think we can do better with our mid-level exception, but then again, we could do alot worse also. Is Matt Barnes resigning with GS pretty much a given?

4. yaozzzi

yaozzzi Member

oh wow~.. Please no

5. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

if matt barnes was smart he would take the warriors' mle. he's not worth the full mle because he's a system guy and he knows it. he needs to pull a brad miller and take the warriors to the cleaners.

6. The Brian

The Brian Member

varejao?!

perhaps; he's not terrible. not really worth the mle, imo.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

No, please no. Watch him play is painful. The man flops on every play and his basketball IQ is near 0. Basiclly a white Stromile Swift, and we all know how that turned out.

8. The Hungarian Rocket

Varejao is a great energy guy from the bench but he's not a starter.

9. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

by the way im not a big fan of varejao.... but i mean he can at least play pf and back up the center position very well. he's tall, draws a ton of charges ( i would imagine that we would lead the league in charges draws by probally double the second place team), he's heads up and can score around the basket plus he averaged almost seven rebounds on a team with drew gooden, ilgauskus, and lebron james all being good rebounders. imagine how many per game he gets on our (non defensive rebounding) team.

he would be a welcomed edition to the team as well as nocioni and haslem.

10. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Wow, no indeed.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'd be okay with this move. He might be another Chuck Hayes, but considering the FA market for PF, what can we truly expect?

Varejao may or may not be worth a long contract starting at $5.5 mil. He will, however, easily get that figure. He's a PF, fairly productive, and fairly young. How in the world can he NOT get the MLE? Remember that Stromile Swift was considered a "bargain" at the MLE.

Also, why does it matter whether he's worth 4.5 or 5.5 mil? It's not as if the MLE transfers to the overall cap(other than the luxury threshold). Does it really matter to give someone like Varejao 1 less mil per year just so you can sign a bench warmer for near minimum?

12. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

You're not going to have a star at every position. Really what are the options? One thing that's underrated about him is his ability to put the ball on the floor and cleanup around the basket. It's incredible to see a big who can be part of a fast break and he has legit four height. I think he has a jumper as well. I'm not sure how polished that facet of his game is but I have seen him step out fifteen feet. I think he would compliment Adelman's offense and bring that hustle/energy on the other end.

The music isn't safe for work.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJRqhTxkLec"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJRqhTxkLec" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

on a related note...not that anyone cares what he thinks and everyone really should be professional on these things:

Span would really hate to have Varejao on the rockets....

The reason is the following. Greek NT guard Nikos Zisis is Span's best, closest and oldest friend. In the 2006 WC, Varejao sent Zisis out of the rest of the competition by breaking his cheekbone and nose with a murderous flagrant elbow... Aτ the time, isis health was in grave danger due to a blood bubble.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rg_ktTJvxYY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rg_ktTJvxYY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The story is that right before that play, Zisis complained to him about flopping all the time (Actually told him something along the lines of: is that what they teach you in the NBA?) which Varejao took as disrespect and replied : don't come near me again or I'm gonna hurt you...Again...that's the story going round but has more or less been confirmed by both players as well as Barbossa who revealed that Varejao told him it was done on purpose and apologised on his behalf (although Varejao never did)

IIRC, Span's comments from back then were very harsh regarding Varejao...

So yeah...not that anyone cares...just saying

14. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Well he's got length to at least bother the PFs of the West and plus he'll chase after loose balls. Was it Big Z or Varejao who defended Tim Duncan in the finals?

15. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

your guess is as good as anyone's here

16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

lol damn, i forgot nobody here saw the finals :p

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

somewhere between the midway of 3rd and 4th qtr. duncan has the ball and barely taps floprejao with his forearm/elbow in the chest. from a standstill floprejao instantly does a complete 180. floperjao gets the call but that flop was disgusting to watch.

18. dream2franchise

Dear God No!

That is all.

19. badguyian

badguyian Member

He sucks man , forget about it

20. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member