1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Beacon Journal] Rockets Interested in Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Summer Song Giver

Count me as on board with the move if it happens, he is big mobile and hustles. His rebouding is decent and is an upgrade over Hayes defensively when guarding other fours. I still hope we can resign Hayes but would rather have AV, hope to keep both. Hayes just isn't a starting 4 mostly because he is so short.

Raef/MJ/Head
    TMAC/Bonzi/VSPAN
    Battier/Snyder
    Varejao/Hayes/Novak
    Yao/Deke

Trade Sura for Something of value

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Varejao has been my ideal target for the Rox all off-season. He would be a good fit. wilcox sounds good too, but what would we have to give for him...Battier????? HMMMMMMMMM

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hayesfan, this is just how GATER and his crowd works-- accusing people of being a "Hayes lover" or "JVG lover" or whatever when you point out anything positive about their disfavored player.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

The Rockets can have both Varejao and Hayes, I think. With Mike James, and maybe Bonzi, the Rockets don't need the four to be a great scorer.

5. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly!

6. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

yes, but for the $8-10 million range? that's more than battier makes.

hell that's camby money, and vaerjao isn't exactly the DPOY.

I would not mind this move if the price were more reasonable, but if these numbers stand that is a pretty risky signing. you are basically saying you expect this guy to develop into a defensive stopper.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

well, we don't need another scorer, we need a rebounder and huslte player, abigger version of Hayes. Varejao will fit the bill.

8. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

HELL NO!!!!

If you watched him play, he is definately not MLE worthy...

FLOPS, CARELESS PLAYS(Choked with the last shot in game 4), AND NO OFFENSIVE GAME.

Hell no.
    HELLNO !#@#@$

9. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Dude no one said 8-10mil Varejao will not command that type of coin this rumor is based purely on him taking the Mle which will be the best offer he gets.

10. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Varejao fits the bill but it sure would be nice to sign Varejao and then add one more offensivly gifted player such as C-webb will not happen but it would be nice.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken Cleveland does not have a 1st round pick in this draft. I wonder if the rockets could dangle the 26th pick or next years 1st round pick at Cleveland as part of a package deal to get him. Would that be to much and could it work?

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

I rather try to get someone else..wasn't he a backup in cleveland too? i just think he is another version of chuck...and i rather keep chuck over A.V...

13. uchlha

uchlha Member

NO GET MAGLOIRE

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

with the free agents available, Varejao would be an okay pick up, wouldn't get me all excited though. I definitely wouldn't want him in there at the end of games though.

If we did get him, I'd like to see if we could get Noccioni. Trade Head + Sura to chicago to get him for an MLE type contract. I think a Noccioni + Varejao platoon would be worlds better than what we had last year.

But now that I think about it more, Varejao isn't going to go for the MLE even though I think that is about what he should go for. He is tall enough to play center, and it seems like centers always get overpaid.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Actually that is quite insightful if we could get him say a pick sura's contract and filler that would be a fantastic trade and we would still have room to possibly bring in Mikki Moore to share duel duties which would be a great scenario.

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Varejao is a ****ing waste of money. Remember Ryan Bowen? Give him the spotlight on the NBA playoffs for a few weeks too then see how people drool for his hustle, and we know how he ends up. Chuck Hayes can hustle like Varejao, but Hayes can also make a thing called "layups" and he doesn't take airball jump shots.

17. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Please god no.......he is an awful player

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we are talking about a S&T then you would have to include sura's contract ($3.8M). the rockets would then be able to bring in $4.75M in a trade (125% of the outgoing salary). i think this is lowballing AV's market price. he would insist on more and so the rockets would be forced to throw in a low-cost player like snyder.

pick, sura, snyder = AV
    pick, sura, snyder, billy = artest.

instead of giving 'super hayes' an overpriced contrac, i say throw in billy and land artest at the draft!

19. slpntz

slpntz Member

My thoughts exactly.

20. awo86

awo86 Rookie

he flat out sucks....i'd rather trade up to get joakim noah. hell i'd even prefer sean williams