1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Uverse "GigaPower Network" coming to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AT&T confirms its GigaPower Network is coming to Houston

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2014/08/att-confirms-its-gigapower-network-is-coming-to-houston/

As a Uverse customer, that's pretty cool I s'pose. I get 24 mbps right now which is good enough for our two-person household, but I'd definitely like to get something better. And if I don't have to switch to Comcast, that makes me all the more happy.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

When???

I'm calling Uverse for the 5th ****ing time in a month just TRYING to get my internet to run correctly and their wifi sucks so much ass in my home. I'm this >< close to switching to Comcast for internet, like this week after seeing their "normal" speeds are now 5 times as fast as what I get in my neighborhood. The fastest speeds that are available to me are 20 down and that blows, plus I'm not even getting that.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Moved into new apartment recently. Get the online $29.99 (one year promo, no contract) special with Comcast. It's supposed to be 25mbps down but since the speed increase a few days ago, I'm getting around 57mbps.

Also, get your own modem.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorol...id=1407245741&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+sb6121

and router.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WD...&qid=1407245757&sr=8-5&keywords=tplink+router

I highly recommend the Asus higher end routers if that best suits your needs but the one I linked above works great.

1 person likes this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't hold your breath. I have U-Verse, like it and have no plans to switch. But this is probably just a placeholder announcement (like a public preemptive strike) and it will be a long time before this happens, if it ever does.

5. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I like Uverse quite a bit. It's definitely the lesser of the evils when compared to Comcast. This will be a welcomed addition if it's reasonably priced and if it happens within the next few years... But in the meantime, I just want to watch the Rockets!!!

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I have UVerse...although not the fastest internet ever, it's still plenty good enough for what I do.

I think they're much better than Comcast (outside of the Rockets/Astros fiasco).

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is anyone on here from Austin and using this Gigapower network? Did they start charging extra for the service? The only thing that really jumped out at me was the 5 HD streams at once and the terabyte DVR. I don't really run into too much difficulty with my internet speed being too slow with what I have right now, but every once in a while the limit of 3 HD streams at once becomes a problem.

And you can always use more DVR space.

8. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Just signed up for this in Austin, they're installing next week.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Last week I jumped to Comcast for Blast, they told me they couldn't install without a tech coming out for another week, so I told them to **** themselves and just went back to Uverse.

$59.99 a month for 24mbps is pretty ****ty, but I'll be damned if I deal with Comcast.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Did they ever mention an installation fee for installing Blast?

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I dropped Uverse because I was tired of paying $60 for < 24 Mbps. I now have the Comcast 105 internet (I get 110 down and 20 up when wired), but I'll gladly jump back to Uverse if and when they can get me 300 Mbps.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The rollout is going to be slow and pretty nonexistent for years. This is pretty much hype for AT&T to look competitive when Comcast is upgrading speeds at no charge.

I heard Gigapower in Austin is $70/mo but that's allowing AT&T to datamine your browsing history. It's $100/mo without those strings attached.

With that said, I'd rather pay for cable or fiber than AT&T. AT&T charges you more for less. I haven't found their customer service or stability any better than cable companies, rather, at best it's a wash. My stability is actually worse than when I had cable.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND that if you go with the cheaper $75 a month plan you have to sign a year contact and they have permission to monitor your internet browsing in order to deliver targeted ads to you.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Can you use Comcast for internet and Uverse for TV? I used to have DirecTV and Comcast, but wasn't sure I could do it with Uverse, since their modem/router stores a lot of the DVR settings from what I recall.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I really hate Uverse. ($60/m for 20 down 1.5 up) With that said everyone I talk to who has Comcast has much better speeds, but stability issues. I can't get anything but Uverse in my area to begin with. ****ing monopoly bull****.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Right now I'm doing Uverse internet with DirecTV. I know their wireless receiver actually runs through the home network so if you want to go wireless you'll probably have to go Uverse for internet.

I like DirecTV's wireless system a lot better. They use a dedicated bridge that is separate from the home network.

I'll say this about Uverse internet, I've had it for about 4 years off and on now and I've never had a hiccup in internet service. I had Comcast for a year and there were several outages. Uverse is much more stable.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no on cares

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

except for me i care.

i love you

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wait for Google Fiber.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!