1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Uverse "GigaPower Network" coming to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Aug 5, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is pretty much the story right here. If Comcast didn't have so many 30 min to 2 hour outages, I never would have left them despite their unbelievably sorry customer service. U-Verse hiccups once or twice a year for 2-3 minutes at a time. I watch a large amount of video online and the speed is more than enough.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Sorry, I only help with the roll out and structuring the jobs to lay the fiber, ACSR, etc. After the main infrastructure is in place I start over with the next city, so I have no idea who they roll this out to or when.

Nope, you cannot. I spoke to the Rep last night and unfortunately you cannot use Comcast internet with Uverse. Sucks.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Check out his thread from DSL Reports. They're saying that you can.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28719124-Uverse-with-Comcast-Internet-Access

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2015/04/att-launches-its-gigapower-internet-service-in-houston/

I live in NW Harris County, but when I checked it says it wasn't available to me.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

My current U-Verse internet service is pretty terrible... so I'm holding my breath that this will actually be worth a damn.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm currently paying like 80 bucks a month for ****ty 45mbps. 300 would be nice.

7. HR Dept

AT&T isn't available in my area, but hopefully this causes Comcast to readjust thier Internet prices. Not holding my breath though.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So you hit your cap, theoretically, after 17 minutes. Thanks, AT&T!

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If you "redlined" it nonstop, it would take over 2 hours to reach a terabyte, since 8 million megabits = 1 terabyte. Maybe my math is wrong, but having a cap of 1 terabyte would be way more than enough for me.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

On the 45 mgb here in The Woodlands. It's fine but if this will be only a couple more dollars for 300, I'll make the switch.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This is all fiber to the home and not fiber to the curb. It's going take a while for this to roll out. Newer communities will obviously get this first.

I'm waiting on Comcasts new 2gb service they're rolling out in thei major markets. Atlanta was first

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hilarious that we're getting massive speed increases only after Google steps in.
    Competition is great.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'd love it if they could actually have wireless that worked all ot the time or boxes that lasted over a month. I swear I have to have a tech come out once a month to fix their crap.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

UVerse is not available where I live. I am on Comcast right now, and have a pretty sweet set up for what I'm paying so no complaints.

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

And its about to get faster.

2GB incoming!

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

$30 extra per month to get rid of ads is dumb. Should not have to do that. I am perfectly happy with my 50 mbs right now. Hopefully this means that the current packages will soon be dirt cheap.

17. HR Dept

I'm currently getting 100 MBs with Comcast. Is there any practical reason to get faster speeds for home use? Don't get me wrong, I occasionally run a speed test when I'm home and feeling down and in need of a quick pick me up :grin:. But even now I consider my speed to be over kill.

It's no doubt cool to have, but what's the practical incentive? I'm just hoping it pushes the price of the lower tiers downward.

Edit: Also, with Comcast switching to a Fiber to Home setup... Does this mean that their HD quality will rise and rival Verizon Fios' quality?

#57 HR Dept, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We got in on the $29 a month Comcast (xfinity) internet for new subscribers (for a year). 50mb down, but the double the speed upgrade got us to ~115/20. Can't complain.

When it runs out in the next month or so I'll either contact the retention department or switch it to my name from my girls.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been having almost daily internet interruptions with U-Verse the last week or so. Also, this message has appeared 6-7 times just in the last week: "System will automatically restart in 3 hours. A network setting has changed. Please restart the receiver".

Anyone else having problems? Seems like every evening around 8:30pm, things go south.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'd love to have a gig down so I can illegally download all the torrents at once.