1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Uverse "GigaPower Network" coming to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Aug 5, 2014.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Every other day. It knocks my cameras off at night due to losing a wireless signal, sick to death of it.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

At this time, there is no practical reason for the vast majority of people. Youre going to have those who insist that its practical for everyone to torrent gigs of files, download multiple console games all while having multiple streams of 4k TV at the same time is important. The reality is that very very few people ever need it. In a decade, I am sure that will change.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sorry to break it to you. Unless you live in new neighborhood where they already have fiber going all the way to the house, or Uverse is coming to your neigborhood and they are building new infrastructure, you are not getting gigapower. They aren't going to dig up your street just to give you more speed if you are perfecting willing to pay for the lower speed.

The neighborhood down the road has gigapower because it is a few years newer than ours. None of the houses in our subdivision have gigapower even though we had u-verse since the beginning.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I noticed today that along FM 2100 In Crosby AT.&T appears to be laying fiber. Which is strange because this is Verizon territory. But the construction guys defintely had on AT&T reflective vests.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How long has this been happening to you?

The main reason I like U-Verse is consistency and lack of outages. This is the first time I've been irritated enough to think about switching.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you have a hard drive you will not be able to take advantage of downloading at gigabit speeds.

SSDs are a necessity.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They laid fiber in Missouri City in January. Gigapower is supposed to be available late April/early May.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Link?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Even with a good amount of RAM?

I'm going to need a source

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Going to be really interesting in about a year or so.

Comcast with 2 Gbps is pretty intriguing.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My HDD transfer rate is effectively 45 megabytes per second. A gigabit connection would equal greater than 100 megabytes per second of theoretical download speed.

RAM is irrelevant in this case. You are not loading onto memory on a download, it's going straight to storage.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Your terminology may be confusing others here. 45 megabytes per second (MBps) equals 360 megabits per second (Mbps). If you had a 1 Gbps connection, you would only need a hard drive that can handle 125 megabytes per second (which most modern HDDs do, usually max out around 126 MBps).