1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

This is why I don't want to deal Tucker.

I do love Teo, but he's not the level of guy. Neither is Fisher.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good question. It works for now to sign guys to shorter types of contracts -- like we did 4 years for a 30 year old Josh Reddick. I just can't imagine Morey going for the Robinson Cano style, 10 year contract at age 31.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly.

They're going to need replacements/upgrades on the offensive side as well... and if the callups aren't ready (Tucker still only in A ball), trading established club-controlled guys who provide a chunk of the offensive production would be slightly risky for a team trying to win now.

texans1095 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Tucker will be in AA later this year and he plays for the Stros by May of next year. Unless he's traded.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Projected replacements in the system:

2018:
    Beltran - Reed
    Gregerson - Hoyt/Gustave

2019:
    Keuchel - Martes/Archer/Quintana
    Morton - F Perez/Paulino
    Aoki - Fisher/Teoscar
    Gattis - Stubbs
    Sipp - Framber
    Marwin - Davis

2020:
    McHugh - Whitley
    Fiers - TBD BoR or long relief prospect (Bostick? H Perez?)
    Harris - Ferrell
    Altuve - ???
    McCann - Rogers

Players 3+ years away from free agency are too hard to judge, since their replacements likely aren't even in the system yet. But here's when the rest of the 25 man players reach free agency:

2021:
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    Springer
    Marisnick
    Peacock

2022:
    Giles
    Musgrove

2023:
    Feliz
    Devenski
    McCullers
    Correa

2024:
    Bregman

Altuve is the one player I would be working to extend. He's the face of the franchise and a potential hall of famer. I also wouldn't mind them extending Marwin for the right price. The other core players are either likely to be a bad investment (Keuchel, Springer) or too far away to extend (Correa, McCullers, Bregman).

I think suggesting they should trade away any of their major league talent this year is a little silly. Sure, if they get a ridiculous offer for any of their players they should take it. But it doesn't make sense to fill a gap by creating another. Not while this group is contending and seem to be cohesive.

Trading for another pitcher with multiple years of control (like Archer or Quintana) also provides insurance against losing Keuchel after 2018. And giving up Martes and/or Tucker to get an ace is ok from the pipeline perspective, since those players' positions have long term assets in place in Houston and/or multiple other prospects who could potentially fill in the gaps.

#945 Snake Diggit, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or he goes on the Springer track and spends the whole year at AA/AAA. Or at the very least, he goes the super 2 deadline to mid June.

And all of this presumes he's dominating those levels, and they don't promote him on a set timeline, regardless of performance, like they did Reed.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Stop that.

Conger.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa, Springer both spent significant time at AA. Bregman was the fastest of fast tracks. (Well, Correa would have had he not suffered the leg fracture).

I'd be surprised if Tucker doesn't spend almost a calendar year at AA. He could still be up here after a small stint at AAA.

No Worries and texans1095 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

You're probably right...I'm just biased.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

How glorious would it be for the Rangers to be sellers at the deadline and Houston acquire Darvish to help them win a World Series?

11. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind timetables for players are also based on need. They could afford to let everyone develop more in AA/AAA in the past because they weren't trying to win at the MLB level. We have no idea how much they'll fast-track guys going forward because now there's new priorities for the major league team. Guys like McCullers were also brought up more quickly when he became needed for a team that started out hot and was potentially competitive.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think - and, again: this is just my opinion - that they'll use free agency much as they did this year - find older and/or less established pieces that are willing to sign shorter-term deals. Any superstars will either be developed internally or dealt for via a deep farm system.

I just can't see them throwing $200MM at anyone that's not a homegrown product.

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

No more about Quintana. This has turned into a pipe dream thread.

14. Major

Major Member

That very well may be the case - I just think it's going to be disappointing for a lot of fans. That said, besides the emotional impact and fan love (which is certainly important), paying $200MM to a home-grown 29 year old is no different than paying $200MM to a free agent 29 year old, and our guys will be entering free agency at the same general ages as everyone else.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Point being: their $200MM spending sprees are going to be on Altuve, Correa, potentially Bregman. I don't see them compromising paying those guys to chase some other $200MM free agents outside of the organization.

I don't think Keuchel or Springer will get another contract here and they'll continue to be bullish about parting with high-ceiling prospects unless they get a younger, cheaper product (more Giles than Quintana).

16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I knew they wouldn't go for Quintana!

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn. Cubs got him too making it even more despicable. To their rivals.