1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think for now both Fisher and Teoscar profile as guys who merit an extended look as an everyday outfielder. (Teoscar was mentioned today as one of the more improved prospects in the minors over the 1st month according to their KATOH projection system.) And I will be surprised if at least one of the lesser OF prospects (Laureano, Wrenn, Cameron, Dawson) doesn't emerge as somebody worthy of an extended look over the next 2-3 seasons. That said, obviously Tucker is head and shoulders above those guys.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros need to trade those sub 700 OPS laggards: Correa, Bregman and Beltran.

Oh wait, maybe they don't.

Best team in baseball is best team in baseball.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Against the worst offense in baseball. The Royals have a .608 OPS. The Giants are next with .638, and the Blue Jays are next in the AL with a .668. Their lineup is like facing 9 Mike Hamptons outside of Coors Field.

askball likes this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

All he can do is pitch when it's his turn in the rotation. He's looked better the last couple of outings.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I believe that is part of the reason the Astros have not dealt Tucker for a starting pitcher thus far.

I also have a itching suspicion that Luhnow is going to wait until the deadline and try to get another rental or #2-3 type pitcher that won't cost the Astros a top 3 prospect.

I just hope Fiers and Sipp are both moved.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I would deal Springer next offseason for pitching.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Both against the Royals.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

I think we know the good and bad with Springer.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

I understand what you're saying, but he also had a respectable start before those two Royals games against Cleveland where he gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. A hell of a lot better then how he started out the yr.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And/or a promising return of high-level prospects. I agree. I continue to believe Keuchel and Springer will not get long-term deals in Houston.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Keuchel I can see, health permitting. You have to have an ace, preferably 2.

McCullers would also be on the table If I were at that table. I have minimal faith in him staying healthy long-term.

12. Hey Now!

Eh... he'll be 29. I think the Astros will be very reluctant to pay for a player's decline years. Having said that, they likely have models to determine the rate of decline, etc., and can likely make a much greater educated guess as to Keuchel's long-term viability.

13. Buck Turgidson

He's not a power arm, I can see him pitching well into his 30's easily. Health permitting.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

No, he's not - but as we saw last year, his pinpoint control is much more effective when his velocity is up. I'm speculating; no basis for my thinking beyond their seeming commitment to limit long-term cash investments.

15. the shark

the shark Member

I would have no problem trading Springer as well (even though I really love the kid and what he brings to the table).

Would be interesting to see what they could get in return for him.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I wonder if there's a difference between trying to pitch when your velocity is down due to an injury (so you expect it to be higher and it just isn't...therefore you're not adjusting much), vs. seeing your velocity drop over time as you age, and adjusting your entire game around it because it's a fact of life. If so, he might age into declining velocity better than he performed during the blip last year

msn likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

I think this idea is problematic if we ever plan to pursue any top tier free agents. The number of people that come into free agency at 26 or 27 are really few and far between, and generally obscenely expensive. 29 is not old for a FA - if we're not willing to consider 29 year olds, we're not going to sign any star free agents ever.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tucker would have to be on the cusp of breaking through for them to unload existing offense for pitching.

Beltran, McCann were just stopgaps for an offense that was extremely inconsistent (in large part due to youth/inexperience).

I still say to unload guys at least 2-3 years away to maximize the current core now. I could actually see teams willing to take those guys over springer, who is neither that young or foundational for a team looking to rebuild.

19. Buck Turgidson

I'm having Jamie Moyer flashbacks, but better.

20. Buck Turgidson

Beltran is gone after this year....