1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone else tired of all the ISO ball ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Mar 17, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets are turning it over much less with more ISO-ball, and I do agree with others that its allowed them to lock in more on the defensive end.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

It didn’t work last season against the spurs in the playoffs. They took away the 3 and the layup. Rockets never adjusted.

That’s what some people like Sam Fisher don’t understand.

Hero ball doesn’t work in the playoffs. Teams make adjustments.

icewill36 likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They took away the three because our bench and depth sucked.

Maybe it'll happen this year if were hoping for Anderson to save our season or Chris starts shooting like pbev.

Yes it could happen. And the rockets couldve won 60 last year too. :rolleyes:

SamFisher likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CP3 is smart and tough enough to take control when things are not working. Harden will be willing to make adjustments, he is maturing day by day.

HakeemOnlyFan and Tankeio like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It definitely slows the game way down, and makes it more boring to watch. I got tired of seeing Ariza just standing there waving his arms to no avail while wide open far too many times. Miss the faster pace, more passing around the perimeter, and less ISO also, but I'll take this win.

OTMax likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Question: Am I getting tired of having the greatest offense of all time and breaking all kinds of team win records.

Answer: No, no I am not.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

ISO ball has been amazing for us down the stretch.

Pelicans were hitting some very tough shots down the stretch, our defense did its job.

Offensively, the goal isn't to score, but to burn off as much time as possible to make use of the lead that we built up. The ISO slows down the pace and makes a 7 point lead seem like a 15 point lead.

To better illustrate my point. Take for example the below scenario, where the Rockets fail to score on every possession.

3:00 - Rockets ISO for 24 seconds, fail to score. Lead is still 7.
    2:36 - Pelicans spend 12 seconds setting up half-court set, fail to score. Lead is still 7.
    2:24 - Rockets ISO for another 24 seconds, fail to score. Lead is still at 7.
    2:00 - Pelicans use up another 12 seconds, but get two points. Lead is now at 5.
    1:48 - Rockets ISO again for another 24 seconds, fail to score. Lead is at 5.
    1:24 - Pelicans get 2 points, burning up 10 seconds. Lead is at 3.
    1:12 - Rockets ISO for 24 seconds, fail to score. Lead still at 3.
    0:48 - Pelicans now only have 48 seconds left.
    Total Rockets possession: 4. Rockets FG - 0/4
    Total Pelicans possession: 3. Pelicans FG - 2/3

The Rockets did not score once, whereas the Pelicans scored in 2/3 of their possessions. As long as the Rockets do not allow b2b 3 pointers (worse case scenario), even if they do not score, the Rockets can still maintain a 3 point lead with just 48 seconds left in the game. Now imagine if the Rockets scored once in those 4 possessions, suddenly the Pelicans would be facing a 5-6 point deficit with 48 seconds left in the game.

ISO isn't about scoring, it's about clock management and ensuring a good defensive set up. A 7 point lead would be more than enough to secure a win with 3 minutes left.

Patience, arubato and SamFisher like this.
  8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

When you are bludgeoning teams to death with the same 3 plays, there is no need to change your bread and butter.

Also, if you haven't noticed, too much passing leads to giving up open shots like tonight with Paul leaving money on the table.

Ariza, Tucker, Ryno, Moute are all guilty of this on different nights.

Besides Harden, Gordon and Green are the only ones without conscience when it come to jacking up shots given the slightest open look.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, I'm tired of winning, too. Gotta keep things interesting and throw in a loss here and there...

10. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

×100.. What are ppl thinking?

11. Nook

Nook Member

21-1 in the last 22 games.

25-2 in their last 27 and lost those games by 2-3 points.

That is 1/3 of the NBA season and the Rockets have lost two games that they were in position to win.

I will “manage” dealing with the Rockets and their ISO heavy offense.

ElPigto, ghettocheeze and Patience like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

No, there isn’t really arguable. Harden is clearly and by a large margin, the best ISO player in at least 20 years.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you factor in the points he gets off assists he certainly is.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

now that I read this thread and realized the Rockets offense is terrible....

.....looks like I picked the wrong day to stop doing crystal, and the wrong day to begin making meth in a trailer to supplement my income as a teacher/part time carwash employee and parent of two, not realizing I was laying the seeds of becoming a nightmarish murderous druglord and mastermind of an international conspiracy at great cost to my own family and to the extirpation of my soul.

Os Trigonum and Nook like this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

NOT if we dont move the ball more!

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

do you guys not understand that the playoffs are different ? what happened to harden last year against the spurs ? being too ISO heavy plays right into their hands. we need to take advantage of the talent level we have. you dont do that when you dribble for 20 seconds then force up a shot.

mario_v likes this.
  18. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

i'm lowkey hoping that d'antoni is saving the motion sets for the playoffs...and they're secretly practicing them, but just not executing during the game..that would be some next level ****..

teams think and prep for our iso ball, but we've got some **** ready for april-june

ghettocheeze likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Until the Rockets iso the Pelicans in game 6 against the spurs in 2017....color me not impressed

20. arubato

arubato Member

I'm not getting tired of winning tbh.