1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Alright Astros fans...Is it time to rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by steefrancis, Jul 16, 2007.

1. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

Now that this season is pretty much in the books i wanted to know what you guys think whether we should gut this team or not? i think a Fire sale is in order considering we have no players in the minors and we have alot of underachieving overpriced players that do still have some trade value left. Do we cut our players we been so attatched to make a move for the future? Do you guys think we can still be competitive and actually have a chance in the next few years with our current team? I think that we have too many holes on our team to correct via free agency or via trades(got to give up something to get somethin), do you trust timmy p to get fair value for our all stars? thats the only thing that scares me is that we would get ripped off but hey got to give the guy a chance and see what he can do!

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The "sell the farm" approach rarely works. Only get rid of players who aren't in the long or medium term plans.

3. haven

haven Member

I totally understand not wanting to blow up the team. People often overstate how long rebuilding takes. There's every chance that guys like Berkman, Oswalt (though the decline in his K-rate is very frightening), and Lee will be effective players on the Astros next good team.

On the other hand - why the heck would we bother trying to trade for missing pieces, now? This isn't like in years past, where there were quality players to revive the club's fortunes. The Astros are seriously deficient in both hitting and pitching. Drayton has tried to avoid rebuilding for as long as possible. He's been willing to take some risks to prolong the window of opportunity. This one is closed, and trying futilely to keep it open will only make rebuilding more difficult.

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Which leads me to my point, of why did I get flak when I said Oswalt wasn't K'ing guys left and right anymore? Oswalt's strikeout numbers are what makes him a good pitcher and without the increase in strikeouts, he gets hit more often.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i want the in between. Trade the pieces, but don't trade ANYone and EVERyone.. just trade one of the 3 in the bullpen (preferably Wheeler if you can get decent value...otherwise, I guess we gotta move Lidge). Don't move Oswalt, Pence, Berkman, Lee.. shoot, I might consider trying to keep Burke unless we got really good value back. I still think he needs a chance to prove himself..

6. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

We need to reload, not rebuild. And you don't do that by trading away your best starter (Oswalt), or your best reliever (Lidge). Most of our best players are right in their prime (Oswalt, Berkman, Lee, Lidge). No need to have a knee jerk reaction and get rid of them for a bunch of prospects that are just a few years younger that have proven absolutely nothing and likely won't even pan out.

#7 Aceshigh7, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I would say go into rebuilding mode, but I have no confidence that Purp could competently accomplish anything. If we tried to rebuild, Purp would probably screw it up and we'd set ourselves back for years. So, until Uncle Drayton replaces Purp, I say we stand pat. Maybe trade a player or two but nothing drastic.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yes, sell and sell hard, but so long as the obvious guys (Lee, Pence, Berkman, Oswalt) are off the table. Rebuild the farm, don't extend for vets. This team is not 2-3 guys away.

Evan

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm with this. hold on to the guys you mentioned...listen to offers for everyone else.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're simply not right... that's why you're getting "flak".

His best full year in the majors (excluding his rookie year where he didn't pitch the full season) was 2005... which featured a pretty sharp decline in his SO/9 IP mainly due to a change in approach to pitching.

His worst full year in the majors (excluding this half-year) was 2004... when he was in the epitome of "strike everybody out" mode that spurred the change in approach about 1/3'd-way through the 2005 season (after Ausmus started catching). He was also suffering from increased ribcage soreness, and given his frame, I think everybody welcomed the change in approach to save some miles off the arm (don't need another Pedro sapping $14 million a year to pitch a full season every 3 years).

He also followed 2005 up with a pretty damn consistent 2006... using the same approach. Currently, its probably not just one single thing that's victimizing Oswalt. He's had off-and-on feel of his curveball, he's had mental lapses where he gives up walks/hits to the pitcher, he's had games where he was dominant but with no run support, he's had games which he's struggled, but ended up winning because of lots of run support. Also, if you notice the huge disparity in home/road splits... there has to be something up to make this more than just "pitching mechanics"... nobody is that dominant at home vs. the road unless they're playing in the ultimate pitchers park (which they're not).

But, I don't think he mysteriously "lost it" because he's not pitching like he did in 2001 when he was going strictly with 95mph fastball and 69mph curveball... because in reality, he hasn't pitched like that since 2005... and has put up sub 3.00 ERA's, while pitching every fourth day without fail since then.

#11 Nick, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

high strikeout guys usually have problem going deep into games. oswalt is at his best when he's flying through the game with groundballs all over the place. when he starts striking guys out, he drives up his pitch count and has to turn too much of the game over to the pen.

13. Buck Turgidson

He said earlier this year that he was rushing his body to the plate and that was affecting his command. Like you said, he doesn't need to strike everybody out to be a great pitcher, but he just hasn't had his usual command this year, especially on his offspeed stuff. There were a few games earlier this year where he basically junked the curve & change & went solely fastball/slider. That's not Roy. And when he left a fastball over the plate, which he's always done from time to time, hitters were geared for it.

Physical, mental or mechanical. Who knows what, exactly? But there's no reason he can't get back to the level of success he's seen in the past.

Back on topic: Stros have said they're not going to trade any of the cornerstone players (Berkman, Roy, Carlos). They naturally wouldn't trade Pence unless it was part of a huge deal. They've said they don't *want* to trade Lidge. Everyone else is, and should be, fair game.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They are in position to reload. They have 4 players any franchise would like to build around. if they can find a way to get rid of some of the dead weight (Ensberg, Palmeiro) and actually get something back for them, then great. They definitely need to find a way to get better everyday players at 3B & C, find at least 1 more starter, and if they can upgrade SS without giving up so much defense, then do it.

I like Loretta & Lamb and I'd hate to lose both. They are both valuable pieces to any good team. I think they should keep one of them and trade the other for prospects. I'm for keeping Lidge and seeing what Qualls &/or Wheeler can get you. Throw Jason Lane in any deal to get rid of even the thought of bringing him back up.

I just don't think they are that far away from contending again. However, the front office is going to have to prove us wrong and show us that they do, in fact, know what they are doing.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

these guys are immaterial. ensberg is, right now, the 24th player on the roster, palmiero the 25th, and lane is in austin.

they have essentially 6 players with any value (excluding oswalt, berkman, lee and pence): loretta, lamb, jennings, qualls, wheeler and lidge. that's pretty much it. my gut says they'll hold on to lidge unless someone blows them away with an offer.

this will be a really interesting stretch for the astros and tim purpura.

16. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

sorry i didnt mean to sell the WHOLE team away, it was meant more of the lines that no player is untouchable as long as they are willing to be traded and for go their no trade clause. i agree with most of you that we should just trade the ensberg, lamb, loretta, lidge, wheelers of our team and keeping our studs (Berkman, Lee, Roy O) but think about it...what can we honestly get back desent for any of those guys right now? Lidge has the most value of all those guys and he hasnt closed a game in so long, what can we get for him to help our team fill ALL the holes we have? its not possible. Those guys might bring you a bunch of prospects, but then out of those prospects maybe 2 or 3 make it to the bigs, and thats pushing it.

i dont want to trade Roy O, dont get me wrong. He is the face of this franchise but he also has pitched alot of innings in his lifetime especially the post season where we called on him all the time. A guy that small throwing the ball that hard doesnt last for that long in the majors. Even Roy knows he doesnt have that many years left which is probably why he is willing to be traded to a contender. If we can get some elite prospects for him return im sorry i would do it just because we get those players AND we get that much relief from the salary cap so we can still sign players in free agency like Tori Hunter and some Starting pitching cause man do we need help.

Look at our team, we are in next to last place in the worst division in baseball to think we are only a few years from a championship is a farfetched dream cause we are a long shot away. Any American league team would destroy us in a 7 game series. Its time to consider all options and take away the "nontradeable" tag off our players and seriously see what we can get, but only for the right deal

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

if made available, lidge would be among the most sought-after players on the market, if not the MOST sought-after. and no, the trades aren't going to fill EVERY hole, especially if you deal your entire back of the bullpen, a top of the rotation starter and your entire "bench" (loretta and lamb).

that's why purprua better have a solid idea of what he has where within the organization so that he can make trades AND fill holes internally. and he can't be wrong this go 'round. if he invests in the next wave of lanes, ensbergs, scotts, wandys and burkes, we're in a LOT of trouble.

18. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

As much as LIdge will be the most sought after player, whats the best offer we can get for him? The guy lost his job this year after 2 years of disappointments, has always played horrible in the playoffs and isnt even a reliable closer. Now if we trade him to Boston whom already has Papelbon and Okajama where does lidge fit? You think Boston will give up its top proispects for a dude thats not even going to close for them or who cant even close on a team that needs a closer? Roy O would be the most sought after player IMO. Getting an ace pitcher primed for a playoff run is what will bring back top notch prospects, not a once immortal now self destructing LIdge.

think about it what did we get for Billy Wagner? Taylor Bucholtz? Estacio? and billy was light years in front of lidge.

keeping Berkman and lee( no way to trade them even if we wanted to) and trading our "bench"(reason why they are on the bench) and bullpen(one of the worst in the league) and our ace pitcher will still bring back value and we save money to sign other younger players to build around. a nucleus of berkman, lee and pence will work as needed, get some top pitching prospects and we can be competitive in a few years. Dont overlook the marlins they did an excellent job after their first world series to trade assets and rebuild to win another championship. We right now have one of the highest payrolls in all of baseball and we are in the bottom of our division, change is due....

and there is no hope to fix our team "internally". Scott, Burke, Lane are our internal players that have not produced as expected. We gave them a shot and they didnt come through. we tried to fix this internally, it didnt work and now there is NO ONE left in the minors to bring us help right now besides troy patton whom i still think is a year away from contributing.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For the blow it up crowd ...

There were many years where Biggio and Bags were the only two good players on the Astros. The Astros then chose to build around them. I suspect that this will be the approach this time as well.

20. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

Biggio and Bagwell also at that time was not getting the money carlos lee and berkman are getting right now. They played at discounted rates for years. Its easier to build around it when you have moeny to sign the jeff kent's and the moises alou's of the league. And also back then we had the best minor league system in most of baseball