1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman: Francis not part of rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch34, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

[Chron] Adelman: Francis not part of rotation

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5256119.html

Oct. 29, 2007, 9:24PM
    Adelman: Francis not part of rotation

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Though it had seemed apparent for days, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said Monday that Steve Francis
    is not part of his playing rotation heading into tonight's season opener.

"We have six perimeter people that are playing, and he's not one of them," Adelman said.
    "The other guys have played better at this point. Hopefully, he'll keep working. Nothing's written in stone.
    It's just the way we're going to go from the start, based on what we've seen in the preseason.

"There's areas he can attack with and areas he can get involved with, but time will tell.
    Right now we're going to go a little bit different a direction. That doesn't mean it's going to stay that way."

Adelman said Monday that heading into training camp he thought Francis would likely be his starter,
    but that Rafer Alston, Mike James and Luther Head "have played a lot better."
    Francis said he has not spoken with Adelman about his role and has no plans to.

"I'm still not sure," Francis said. "There is pretty much nothing I can do about it.
    It's definitely up to the coaching staff. Whatever it may be, everybody has to sacrifice things.

"I wouldn't say I'm disappointed. It's a long season. Hopefully, get some progress at some point.
    I'm just going to continue to be myself, play the way I always played. That's all I can give.
    If that's not enough, I don't know what is. I'm going to continue to be myself and play the way I always played."

---------------------------

I really hope Francis can stay positive and improve enough to work his way back into the rotation as the season progresses.
    I was really looking forward to watching him this season.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Official: Francis not part of rotation

Can't say I'm too suprised, hopefully Francis can find his way on the court.

3. gucci888

Beat me by a min.

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Great. Hope Francis eventually gets into the rotation.

5. WildSweet&Cool

I feel for him.

6. gucci888

Mods: Lock if needed.

7. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

Yeah, but I like your formatting better...so it's cool to lock this up.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, I feel bad for Steve.

He's going to have to work his way up there, but I totally agree with Adelman.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's not good that he and Adelman haven't spoken and have no plans to discuss things going forward. It's disappointing SF didn't come to camp hitting the ground running but it's a long season. He still has time to get with the program.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just wish Francis would admit he's out of shape and shouldn't be in the rotation until he is. I suppose that's too much to ask for.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

2007 Francis = 2006 Bonzi?

If a guy uses the beginning of the season to get in shape then he should expect to not be in the rotation from the start.

12. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I don't feel bad for Steve. He just said that he ain't changing his game to get minutes. I'm gonna play the way I've always played. Whata biatch. :(

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Can you imagine if the Rockets do anything less than win a Championship if Steve isn't in the rotation? The Francis lovers will burn Toyota Center down.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

"There is pretty much nothing I can do about it."

Yes, there is. Think about it for a second Steve.

15. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Translation: "I'm not going to change my play style to please the coach, I did that once and I still got traded. Fool me once, shame on ... shame on me, fool me twice, shame on ... you can't be fooled again!"

16. Coca Cola Scola

Adelman said that he had thought that Francis would be the starter when they headed into training camp....so, Adelman may have thought of Steve's skills in the past as being helpful in the offense but then Steve came into camp in worse shape and played worse than the other two point guards....and pretty much played himself out of Adelman's rotation. Steve better get his act together and work his butt off because this might be the pivotal moment of his career to whether he can have a successful last third of his career.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve talked about making sacrifice so that's good. IT sounds like he's taking it well, and will see what happens as the season unfolds.

I think you have to stretch pretty hard to make him talking about playing his game and not changing to be a negative. Obviously he's going to try and continue getting in shape. They brought him in to play the game he's always played. That's why Adleman said he believed Steve was going to be his starter prior to the preseason.

Steve just needs to be able to play that way to his maximum potential which he hasn't been able to do so far, and he spoke about sacrificing and doing what's right for the team in this and other interviews, so it doesn't sound like a problem so far.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Sounds like he has a victim mentality. He is not claiming his power to create something good out of it. If only Steve could claim it....

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

No kidding. That sentence tells you all you need to know.

20. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

There's nothing wrongwith his game. His athelicsm is is still there.

Only that, he doesn't know how to play along wth the motion offense. If he's got the ball, his eyes are focused on the basket.