1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Adelman: Francis not part of rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch34, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Damn Steve can't even beat out Luther for a rotation spot? Good lord, all you had to do was work on your jumper Steve and you'd have been set. After being in the league 8 years you think he'd have developed SOMETHING new in his game, but I'm not stupid enough to think that he'll do that anytime soon...not this late in his career. Hell, I was hoping that he'd at least come out strong in the beginning of the season like he did every year, but he can't even do that...It's all down hill from here.

At least we have some cheap insurance.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not sure about that. JVG made Rafer to play D.

3. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I want to feel bad for Steve, but I cant. He had everything, and he threw it all away. I thought his attitude would have changed some after being traded repeatedly. Naw, Steve is still Steve. A decade in the league, and NO improvements to speak of...sheesh

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

once james puts up a couple 3-11, 5-17 shooting nights, everyone will be clamoring for francis

5. DrRafay

DrRafay Member

LOL i agree...

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Stevie should have no worries... Raefer can't freakin shoot. A few nights of defenses collapsing in on Yao, with TMac doubled up and Raef brickin the wide open look... James will start, raefer will freefall and Stevie will be the 6th man of the year - for at least the second half of the season.

7. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

If later on this season, he continued to play sparingly, then goes to the media to complain about the lack of PT like what V-Span did last season, we could just simply label him a prima donna.

If he really wanted to play for the Rockets, why did he allow himself to be out of shape during the offseason? He only has himself to blame here for not being in the rotation and instead, ended up being in RA's doghouse. I think that logic would tell you that if he ended up being in RA's doghouse, he would probably end up being in another head coach's doghouse as well.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good part of the quote.

Bad part of the quote.

I hope he and Adelman will talk and I hope he will adapt and improve and sooner or later be so good that he will get minutes.

9. dexkk

dexkk Member

It's probably a mentality thing. Bonzi came out of injury and was out of shape for a long time. Francis may be the same. Both have athleticism, both can be head cases.

"Francis >> Rafer in all aspects except running the offense. With the weapons we have, we don't really need a PG to contribute, so Rafer fits pretty well . . . for now. "

This may be true, but Francis is also a "PG"
    Running the offense is the most important aspect of a ......

10. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

I think we went too far with this. I'm pretty sure when he said that he made up his mind that he wouldn't try to improve. Basically I think he tried to say that it's coach's job to decide whether he got play time or not and he will not let that bother him too much.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Well, I guess Francis really does suck and it wasn't just bad circumstances that left his career in a mess. He was benched for Mardy Collins in NY, immediately cut by Portland, and now he can't beat out Luther Head for a spot in the rotation. This guy is done. He's nothing more than a washed up has-been at this point.

12. YaoYi

YaoYi Member

well, I only watched the highlights of the preseason games (God bless R2k :D ), but from what little I saw, SF3 is in his best physical form in years. He jumps over opponent and slam it home, he's injury free and with high spirit, he's back to his old self.

Maybe that's the problem. Physically he's there, but mentally he's still the same: undisciplined. In a play he "took the ball out of Yao's hands", according to the TV commentator. I doubt that's what coach intended.

13. Fatty FatBastard

I should probably read through the thread before I reply, but how is he out of shape?

This is Steve's coming home party. Let's all cut Wink a hair of slack.

And we all know how Houston gets rid of sub-par players.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eVbk6_QcNXQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eVbk6_QcNXQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#93 Fatty FatBastard, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

is steve now the Vspan on whiny town??

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Where are y'all coming up with this? He came into training camp out of shape and fat. Yes, he's more vocal, egotistical, and selfish than Head, so maybe you think he has more heart because he sounds off more than Luther? That's the only thing I can surmise.

Head is in better shape, has flat out played better and harder in the preseason, has adapted to the system more readily, and in general fills a need that Francis does not (i.e., consistent three point shooting, the best on our team in fact). Basically every tangible factor you can come up with, Luther has performed better. But because Francis has shown more"heart" he should play over Luther?

Heart isn't a desire to feed your own ego. It's a desire to better yourself and do whatever it takes to help the team win.

#95 DCkid, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  16. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Francis has the most hartz.

[​IMG]

17. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I don't understand how there are so many people that feel SF has so much heart, when he has done nothing to show it this off season. If he had as much heart as all the SF fans claim, how come he was not able to will himself to a rotation spot above all his physical conditioning issues he came to camp with. Hard headed is more like it. From the quotes I have read it seems he doesn't even know how to work his way back in the rotation.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we all wish he was in shape. But coming off injuries and and operation, getting in shape isn't like normal. The guy has always been a gym rat, and worked hard on his conditioning, and physical shape.

I'm sure he could have done more to get in shape and he should have, but I don't think it's as easy as just him being lazy.

Either way it doesn't matter. He isn't in the shape he needs to be in, and right now he deserves only spotty minutes based on his play and that of our other guards. Until he earns his minutes he shouldn't get them. I just think people should be fair rather than judgmental regarding the reasons behind him being out of shape.

19. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I agree.

Heart is not how you "continue to play my game and hope for the best". Heart is about finding every way possible to help your team win. If your game doesn't suit the team's gameplan, as Stevie's clearly doesn't, then you adapt and change and try to help your team.

Him saying that, imo just shows that Stevie is still all about himself and how he thinks the offense should conform to him rather than him conforming to the offense.

20. HipHopSince1981

agreed... find it hard to believe he wont be in the rotation eventually and stay in it.. injuries, rafer goin back to bein rafer, etc...