1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A trade where everyone wins and we keep our #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 21, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is from Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...cs-020616smith.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Although Cavs general manager Jim Paxson has been saying Andre Miller isn't available, hardly anyone believes that.

Here is something titled, “Wagner, likely selection for Cavs”, from Bob Finnan of the Morning Journal in Cleveland:

http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=4514279&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

But would the Cavs want to pair Wagner in the same backcourt with Miller? If the Cavs intend to trade Miller, Wagner might be a viable option.

This next link is from Jimmy Smith of The Times-Picayune in New Orleans and it is also posted at NBA.com, “Clippers seek Davis in Trade”:

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/sportsstory/hornets21.html

The Los Angeles Clippers, owners of the eighth and 12th picks in the first round of Wednesday's NBA draft, contacted the New Orleans Hornets on Thursday about the possibility of acquiring point guard Baron Davis.

While confirming the call from Elgin Baylor, the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations, Hornets executive vice president of basketball operations Bob Bass said he didn't have to ponder Baylor's suggestion very long.

Here is a clutch extra titled, “Rockets inquire about availability of Lamar Odom”:

http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=920

That was delivered to us by our very own clutch.

What is the one binding fact that ties all of these articles together? Each team has something the other wants.

1. The Clipps want a top notch point guard and are willing to pay handsomely for him as is indicated in the first link.
    2. The Cavs may want to move Andre Miller to keep from having to pay him a max contract as is indicated in the second link. The Cavs also are serious about drafting Dujan Wagner.
    3. The Rockets are interested in Lamar Odom. Not just Steve and Cat but also Rudy and CD.

Questions:

1. Are the Clipps really going to keep Lamar and give him a huge pay day as well as Brand if they also have Miles which plays the same position as Lamar while still looking for a point guard of the Baron Davis, Andre Miller type?
    2. Are the Cavs serious about their desire not to pay Andre a max contract? If so would a trade that would possibly bring them Wagner, Caron Butler, Jarred Jefferies, Kenny Thomas and Kareem Rush be enough for them to give up Miller?
    3. Are the Rockets still interested in Lamar Odom? Especially if it does not envolve the #1 pick?
    Here is the trade scenario:

The Rockets trade:
    Kenny Thomas
    Terrence Morris
    Jason Collier
    Pick #15

The Cavs trade:
    Andre Miller

The Clippers trade:
    Lamar Odom
    Pick #8
    Pick #12

The Rockets get:
    Lamar Odom

The Cavs get:
    Kenny Thomas
    Pick #8
    Pick #12
    Pick #15

The Clippers get:
    Andre Miller
    Terrence Morris
    Jason Collier

This trade works from both a financial standpoint and a philosophical standpoint. Every one gets what they want.

The Rockets get Lamar Odom with out loosing the #1 pick or Yao Ming. Steve and Cat are happy.

The Cavs trade Miller and avoid paying him the max contract for the biggest group of talent in this draft plus Kenny Thomas, which will make the rebuilding process a lot faster.

The Clippers get their all star caliber point guard and manage to move Lamar Odom freeing up the small forward spot for Miles. They also get a back up SF for Miles in TMo and a back up to Brand and Kandi in Collier.

Bling! Bling! Bling!

This trade scenario seems like a natural fit.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good job with that.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I bow to your superior TRADE WISDOM

Rocket River

4. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

Best trade I have seen posted that actually makes sense and helps everybody out. However, I am still not sure about parting with Kenny. His is a cool guy.

5. BDJ

BDJ Member

Cav fans (if there are any) would probably burn down Cleveland. Trading your only star for 3 low lotto picks and somebody named Kenny Thomas? Your deal only works if Miller has burned his bridges with the Cavs.

6. crash5179

I like KT...a lot just like I liked Dickerson, Othella and Thorpe. But show me a trade that makes the team better and I will make it any day.

7. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

This gives Cleveland the #6, 8, 12, 15, and 35 picks in the draft. Do they have enough room on their roster for 6 new players(5 picks and KT)? Trade sounds good and I would do it in a heartbeat, but cmon.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

congrats on a fair trade proposal. that's an awesome deal for both us and lac but it's also very fair to cleveland who won't pay miller anyways.

9. crash5179

Word is that the Cavs do not want to pay Andre a max salery and are willing to move him. Do you think that Dujan Wagner, Caron Butler in the back court with Jarred Jefferies and maybe Kareem Rush or Jeri Welsch at the 15 would not sooth some feelings? Do you think the Cavs could do better than that in a trade?

10. tozai

tozai Member

Very nice trade, we get our 3 spot filled without compromising much at all, but I don't know if the Cavs would take all those picks unless they were sure to get Dajuan and Nene/Wilcox/Stoudemire which they probably would...Actually coming to think about it, this is a damn good trade for all sides...Good job man

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think the Cavs would probably prefer to deal Miller to the Clippers for Odom and 8. With their 6th pick they can get Wilcox to go along with Odom in the front court. With the 8 they could still probably get Wagner.

12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Not too bad. Clevelend could then trade those off for 1st round picks to trade up next year or maybe they could parlay 8, 12, and 15 for Denver's 5 pick this year. Denver needs talent and then Cleveland would have the 5 and the 6.

13. crash5179

You might be right but the problems that I see with that would be that Odom is going to be asking for a substantial contract just like Andre. Plus I think having four picks in the top 15 would give you so much more leverage than just two.

Plus...is Wilcox going to be any better than Kenny Thomas this year? Kenny might be all star caliber in the east. With 4 picks you could get Dujan and Welsch to shore up your point guard spot and if one does not pan out as a good point then you still have the other. Now you still have two picks to take care of your 2 guard and small forward spots or you could trade them to someone for a pick next year...etc...etc... The options are almost endless.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Wow, that proposal looks pretty decent. I am truly impressed.

I wonder what a Cavs fan would think of it? I have heard they are very interested in LeBron James and all those 1st rounders could be used to swap for 1st rounders next summer.

The Cavs have 9 players (not counting Miller) under contract. KT would be 10.

They have qualifying offers for:
    Michael Doleac
    Ricky Davis
    Brian Skinner

And Trajan Langdon is a restricted FA and Jeff Trepagnier is a team option.

They would have some major decisions to make, but that would be a good thing - deciding if 6, 8, 12, 15, & 37 are better than the above 5 players.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't know if this works out financially, but what about this:

Rockets trade Rockets get
    Thomas #8
    Rice #12
    Collier
    Mobley

Cavs trade Cavs get
    Andre Miller Odom
    Mobley
    Clippers trade Thomas
    #12 Clippers get
    Odom Miller
    Rice
    Collier

I know that this is far fetched, but the players involved could be tinkered with. If we could swing this to clear roster space and end up with 8 and 12, we could fix a lot of what ills the Rockets.

Rockets draft
    1) Yao Ming
    8) Caron Butler
    12) Amare Stoudamire
    15) Juan Dixon

This could solidify the Rockets for a long time to come.

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only one thing confuses me, if Sterling and the Clips aren't willing to pay Odom big bucks, why would they be so willing to pay Davis and Miller big money when they know Brand and the rest are coming up on their FA years?!? Something isn't right there, maybe they feel Lamar is too big of risk to reward him with a fat contract. And how come everyone has to sign for the max these days?

17. BDJ

BDJ Member

Add all of the young draft picks and subtract Miller (their only star) from the Cavs and you've got a major tank job...
    Lebron James anyone?

18. crash5179

Miles and Odom play the same position. Miles is younger and was picked one year after Odom so if the Clipps pay Odom this year then they will either have to pay Miles next year or trade him. If the pay him then they will have major bucks tied up in one position with and a problem with who gets the playing time.

19. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Crash:
    That is a great trade idea. I think that that would be good for all three teams. We want Odom, the Cavs want to dump Miller, and the Clippers need a point guard. This would work out for all three teams. Our lineup would be lethal next season with Francis, Mobley, Odom, Mo, and Ming.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The second unit wouldn't be too shabby either:

5) Cato / Willis (vet minimum)
    4) EG
    3) Rice
    2) OT / or MCE
    1) Moochie