1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers will NEVER be happy

Moleb, brosef and mockster like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

it's unfair, but nobody knows what he is up to. Even old Nene hits the gym.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why would the Rockets do this? They can keep the 1st rd pick and still get Melo.

4. saleem

TPE's last one year, so the Rockets might be able to use it to some extent in the 2019-20 free agency period. Unfortunately, the likelihood of trading RA remains zero, making it a moot point.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nah, usually come & go without being used.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To get rid of Anderson at the cost of a single 1st.

Anderson has 2 years left on his deal, Melo only 1.

ghettocheeze, Moleb and H-town Swag like this.
  7. Know Your Role

That's an insult to Matt Maloney. Maloney had some big games in the playoffs. Ryan Anderson = Shandon Anderson.

8. H-town Swag

H-town Swag Member

Melo already coming. Then trade Anderson for a players contract that's similar. Like Bazemore. Dont give up any picks.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

But they pay more this year in luxury tax, and Ryno's expiring contract next year is actually a trade asset. This makes no sense for the Rockets. They can keep their FRP, have Anderson the expiring contract next year, and still get Melo.

10. saleem

Yes, his shooting was helpful in winning some games, unfortunately his 7 year contract hurt the Rockets.

Know Your Role likes this.
  11. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

That is indeed the question..." Who knows what he MAY be doing. Or NOT???". With his lack of production, and (with few exceptions) his status with CFs and Rockets fans in general, one might think that if he was making an effort to improve and change his role from a $20m a year bench sitter to a productive member of the team and also doing some P R to improve his image not to mention his trade value. So, who knows what (if anything) he's doing.

xiki and saleem like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So keeping Anderson at 20.4 million and signing Melo at 4.4 (a portion of MLE) would come to a rough total of 24.8 million.

If we traded Anderson, Nene and Onuaku (which I would insist OKC/Kings take those 2 as well) for Melo at 27.9 million, we could save roughly 2 million.

Anderson as an expiring contract will still cost a 1st to dump next year (Den payed a 1st and 2nd to dump 19 million expiring this season with Faried/Arthur), dumping Anderson right now would likely cost 2 first, if not at the very minimum 1 first and multiple small assets such as 2nd's or Qi/Hartenstein/Melton etc.

I'm not opposed to dumping Anderson and signing Melo, I'm not opposed to keeping Anderson and dealing him later, just saying trading for Melo could work as well to our favor.

ghettocheeze and joshuaao like this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The salary dump market won't be as competitive next year as many more teams will have cap space. I don't think it'll cost us a FRP to dump Ryno as an expiring. I also hold out small hope Ryno can have a bounce back year to bolster is trade value. He was great (not enough to be worth 20mil but still) before he got hurt last year.

14. mockster

mockster Member

Ideally would be great but please remind me why hawks would take a player who has worse stats and talents?. You gotta provide any team with some type of compensation for taking Anderson’s worthless ass

saleem likes this.
  15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Yeah, I think the main point of it is to simply let it expire so that the cap space can simply open up the following year. All it really allows you to do is absorb salary without having to send anything back out IIRC.

16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

If we trade for Melo:
    In - Melo, MLE target
    Out - Ryno (+ other small contracts), FRP

1. Offloads Ryno at the cost of 1 FRP
    2. We get to use the MLE for another rotation piece
    3. Gives us Melo's bird rights to re-sign next year (or offer an extension at a much lower salary now)

If we wait for Melo to get waived:
    In - Melo (likely using MLE)
    Out- none

1. We are able to use FRP + Ryno to trade for another rotation piece like Bazemore
    2. Can re-sign Melo for up to $8 MM

I could be convinced either way tbh.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  18. H-town Swag

H-town Swag Member

I agree, i hate Anderson but obviously the rockets saw something in him and offered him a big contract. Maybe Atlanta would see Anderson fitting in their system.

mockster likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There go Cleveland's chances for next season...

Artie_Fufkin, Bids9 and Fulgore like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@cyberx , anything ever come of the Jimmy offers?