1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Exactly, so the Sacramento scenario is a nonstarter

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

my question exactly. and i say that with the caveat that i totally understand Tilaman's lack of desire to pay the tax on that guy.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, good point. The problem is that everyone will try to fleece the Rockets, in order to take him off their hands. It seems to me that RA has become the modern day Matt Maloney. It's high time for him to wake up, and get to work. If he does that consistently, he still may become serviceable, more like a off the bench stretch 5, rather than as a 4. He will also have to accept whatever role, he is assigned too. I'm not optimistic however of any change.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Exactly. Rather have someone that could help us in regular season road games than nothing at all.

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It would give us a $20m TPE to use on bringing in quality players for the 3+D role. We are extremely limited only having minimum contracts and the MLE which is going to be used on our draft picks and Melo anyway. That TPE would be very valuable to us and other than trading Gordon probably the only way to adequately replace Ariza/Luc.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/11189/ryan-anderson-cost-rockets-100-million/

That is a ton of money for a player with no impact on the team.

I know fans want an owner that is completely unconcerned with just burning 100 million dollars, but those owners are basically non existent. All owners get concerned when spending starts getting out of control.

I believe it also creates a huge TPE.

7. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I still like the scenario where we unload Ryno to a third team and Melo is traded here. We could get OKC to pay a bit of the cost to unload Ryno.

8. Aruba77

i think the tax issues are a legit reason enough to dump him ...but at the expense of two 1st round picks, i think it's clear that it's not in the best interest of the team. Again, keeping Tilman happy is in the best interest of the team and it;s all connected, but leaving the guy on the roster vs trading a couple 1st rounders to get him off the roster = net negative for the team on paper

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It should be in Tilman's best interest to keep 99'ers happy.

Aruba77 and J.R. like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The poster before mine mentioned it also, but a traded player exception would be extremely value to the club this season. Moreso than Ryan Anderson likely will be.

A skilled capsman like Morey could turn it into a great player this season, and great trading value for next season.

Aruba77 likes this.
  11. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

I totally agree...l see pics of CP3 and Harden (and others) working out off season to improve their games but, not of Ryno. Is he even trying to improve or is he still honeymooning?

PeterKingX and saleem like this.
  12. Fullcourt

I completely understand the fact that Tilman might want to save money, but that possibility is a strange reason for us fans to actively root for a salary dump. It's part of the business, sure, makes little sense for us fans to get excited for it to happen.

Ziggy likes this.
  13. Aruba77

looks like the trade exception it would create has a lot of value; so that's something.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO unfair. No pix does not mean no work. Is he working on plugging weaknesses? Who knows what he may be doing. Or not???

saleem likes this.
  15. Fullcourt

Yeah I'm intrigued at the prospect of the TPE, but it's a leap of faith in that we'd be giving up draft picks for the opportunity to make a deal in the future, with no guarantee that anything will come of it. I'm not completely opposed to it, but it's still a risk.

16. baubo

baubo Member

The only value in a trade exception is so the team can take on a bad contract from another team looking to dump money.

Essentially it’s used for getting an overpaid player for free... say someone like a Ryan Anderson.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

agreed. A TPE probably doesn't balance out the loss of draft picks (depends on who we use it on). But since they are going to be really late 1st round picks, it might not be such a big gap

saleem likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TPE's always sound cool, but have they been used for anything exciting recently? I cant think of any examples, although I'm sure there are some out there.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Rockets:
    • Carmelo Anthony ($27,928,140)
    Kings:
    • Ryan Anderson ($20,421,546)
    • 2019 First Round Pick (via Rockets)
    • 2019 First Round Pick (via Thunder)
    Thunder:
    • $20 Million Trade Exception
    • Kostas Koufos ($8,739,500)
    Rockets get Melo and rid themselves of Ryno costing them a first round pick in the process. Thunder save an estimated $80 million in luxury tax by shedding $20 million in salary also costing them a first round pick. Kings get 2 first round picks for taking on Ryno for a couple years as they rebuild.

Everyone gets what they want.

20. H-town Swag

H-town Swag Member

Is it true Melo is coming???