1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden won the Players Choice Award MVP?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Jul 21, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

the true stars in the league do more than that

2. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Is that LIL B with harden?!?

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Professionals who get paid by media to write their narratives? Yeah... no. These people have facts... they play each other on the court and know exactly how hard it is to guard James Harden. How many non-calls the get away with.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

all the players get to vote, not just the "true stars". And there are more average/regular players than there are "true stars", whatever that means.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

How does Dwight Howard know how hard it is to guard Kyrie Irving? No human-system is perfect. Do you think Vernon Maxwell ever would have voted Jordan as MVP? We all have biases. I just rather someone who has a better chance of knowing more about the whole game and the whole league.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even referring to that. I was talking about your tapes comment

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know you were talking about the tapes comment. And you're probably right that some players watch a whole lot of tape that doesn't directly affect them. But I would bet that the majority of players don't.

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The People's Champ.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's where true stars come from. those are the ones who become students of the game and take the time to learn about peers who they will battle throughout their career

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup, it's definitely real. In case anyone needed more proof, you can zoom in on the staged pictures of James and his mom and see the engraving on his trophy. That's the MVP one.

11. bongman

bongman Member

which opinion counts more, the sportswriters/broadcasters who may or may not have played a single second of professional ball or the players who have experienced playing with or against him?

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's the real MVP right there, not the media fan pleasing one. The ballers know what's up.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

LOLOLOL seriously lol. do players watch game tape?? no not at all.

sometimes people just write crap that they dont give one single thought to. it just sounds like what someone would say about a given topic. sheesh

14. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

holy **** stfu. it's an award and all awards are biased in one way or another when it comes to an award that is "most valuable" or "best". half of the posts are yours in this thread.

anyways, congrats to Harden on a well earned trophy with a great season.

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't mean any offense at all, but I think this kind of response is kind of humorous.

No. This award is not more meaningful than the media votes.

We know Kevin Durant won MVP last year. We know LBJ won the years before that. We know that Derrick Rose won it in 2011. I remember hating to watch Kobe win it in 08, I remember hating when Dirk won it in 07.
    We remember that Hakeem won it in 94. We remember Hakeem being robbed of it in 95 and losing out to David Robinson (only to destroy Robinson in the 95 playoffs).

When we are looking at the history of the NBA and comparing the greatest players, we will always look to Jordan's 5, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 5, Wilt Chamberlain's 4 and Bill Russell's 4. The media award will always be the more important one and will always be the one that is compared to others in the history of the NBA.

As Rockets fans, it is easy for us to try to justify what James Harden won as being better or more important, but it isn't. I wonder if the roles were reversed- if Harden won the media MVP and Curry won the player's choice MVP- would all of Clutchfans be talking about how Harden won the real MVP and the player's choice one didn't really matter? But since Harden won the player's choice, I have seen multiple posters saying that one (the very first year it has ever existed) is more important.

IMO, Harden would have been the more deserving player for the media MVP as well. But he didn't win. And you can't take anything away from Curry, he had an amazing season and was deserving as well.

But, years from now, if someone asks who won the MVP in 2015, the answer will be Steph Curry. Not James Harden. The player's choice MVP is a nice gesture and I'm glad Harden won it. But it is not the more meaningful award.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you actually read my posts in this thread you will know that I have said that both are biased. I (my preference) think this is a popularity contest as well. BTW I would have given the award to Harden anyway.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. I want my center to waste time watching tape on a guard that my team plays only twice a year. Right.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

if that guard is harden, curry, westbrook, or any of the other top guards then he should be

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I did read it since half the posts are in this thread. I didn't say anything about the official award. I just said we get it, you don't need to post over and over on how you think it's a biased award.

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

If I was a player this award would mean WAY more to me than who the media has a love affair with. I'm stoked they did players awards like this.