1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey is still a genius - or how Houston's free agency unravelled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

above MLE Free agents Wings next year also include;

Jeff Green
    Gerald Henderson
    Jimmy Butler
    Aron Affalo
    Luol Deng
    Iman Shumpert
    Thadeus Young
    Gerald Green
    Wesley Matthews
    Rudy Gay
    Kahwi Leonard
    Danny Green

Anyway you slice it, next year's Wing class is not worse than this years.

2. trugoy

trugoy Member

I'm not saying he is "worth" his contract. What I am saying is that the Rockets knew that he would be offered the salary he is offered, and that they put him into RFA knowing that they wouldn't match.

3. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Very good point.

4. nejyh

James Posey to Memphis.

5. nejyh

That's also my strong take on it.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

My bad, should've said in the Daryl Morey era :)

1 person likes this.
  7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly. And I would not expect Morey to pay attention to what was going on up here in Dallas anyway as he has his own fish to fry. But before any of this went down, Cuban was getting torched for breaking up that 2011 championship team in the name of "financial flexibility" only to have nothing to show for it as marquee FAs passed on the Mavs. The MFFLs were no longer buying the blue koolaid and Cuban was desperate to change the narrative. Getting Parsons saved his offseason even if it meant making that ridiculous offer. After all, we're talking about a man who overpaid the likes of Shawn Bradley, Rafe LaFrentz and Eric Dampier so what's one more bad contract to Mr. Shark Tank?

I don't know if I can buy into this argument. Given his track record of treating players as interchangeable assets, what about Parsons would lend you to believe that Morey would make an exception in his case? I can't think of any reason as to why he would do something like that - no, I firmly believe that Morey did what he did because he was confident that he could match any offer Parsons would get. It's just like someone else posted - he simply didn't count on an idiot making an idiotic offer and loading it with unreasonable conditions.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification. I enjoyed your theory, but think it is probably revisionist history. If Ariza was Plan A, Morey would have met him at midnight July 1, not Lowry. Melo was Plan A, and we lost out on having both Lowry and Ariza because of that failed chase. Now it will cost us the Pel's pick and potentially TJones to get an equivalent PG. Lowry should have been Plan A all along, but he was Plan B instead.

Also, the Rockets were reportedly in negotiations with Dallas to do a sign and trade of Parsons after he reached an oral agreement, but before he signed the offer sheet. If signing and trading Parsons was part of Plan A, the Rockets would have done the sign and trade that day and got the TE. However, by that time the new Plan A had become sign Bosh and then match on Parsons. That is why the Rockets didn't go ahead with the sign and trade of Parsons, because they thought they could get Bosh and keep Parsons.

After that, they went ahead and signed Ariza, who ended up being Plan D.

9. BinBinRingRing

In Morey's own words, Bosh saying no at the last second was what made the Parsons decision difficult to make.

GMs are smart, but they are still people, that make mistakes like everyone else.

10. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

"No, we don't want dwight, because you have proposed something that circumvents the CBA, despite the fact that it happens all the time."

How could they prove it? Deals like this (overpaying a player who shares an agent with a star) happen all the time, Zach Lowe for one has reported on it multiple times.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Honestly, with all my Morey bashing, I never thought any team in their right mind would give CP 15 mil a year.

12. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Easy to give parsons 15 when dirk takes a contract at about 12 mil below market.

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

If you woulfnt give 23 mil for dirk and parsons, you are a terrible gm. Dallas had a competitive advantage.

14. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Rockets would never say no to Fegans illegal deal and risk losing Dwight last year, nor would they go back on their word and burn that bridge.

15. dznutz

dznutz Member

jalen rose predicted kd coming to the rockets. morey's advanced stats concur and he went to work clearing cap space. i believe

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

For putting alongside Harden (for example, i don't think lance was ever a consideration), that class is much worse (not least of all because 75% of them won't even make it to free agency), you don't plan around people opting out the year before the salary cap explodes and there's ridiculous amounts of money floating around, almost all of them will be advised not to opt out. The only reason i suggested Monta is because he's the only one whose majorly underpaid to the point where he's not going to wait for 2016.

#96 Aleron, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  17. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Um, why does everyone seem to think we have no backup to Harden? From what I can tell, Ariza seems like a fine backup...

JH is gonna play 37-38 mpg, leaving Ariza with 10-12 mpg at the 2, and 20-22 at the 3. Sounds plausible enough to me that Koopa gets 26-28 mpg at the 3... He is not a PF at any point in time.

18. baubo

baubo Member

Basically it boils down to this. Morey wanted flexibility. He got it. Now he has to do something with that flexibility. If he doesn't, well, flexibility doesn't win games.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, we could have had Lowry and Parsons on this team. Geez. What a sad sad off season.

I thought it was so silly we were chasing Lebron. Even Melo was a bit silly. He loves NY. Everyone in NY thought he wanted to stay. Bosh seemed to make sense though.

Still. Lowry would have been a sure thing and than you probably would have gotten Parson cheaper too. Morey did not have a very good offseason.

1 person likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Daniels did not win any more games than Lin so enough with the silliness. And Daniels is not a PG, he cannot create shots for his teammates. Like him or not, Lin ran this offense to near perfection when Harden was out.

Lin is not the reason that the Rockets did not advance to the next round of the playoffs. He was a backup for God's sake.