1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey is still a genius - or how Houston's free agency unravelled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Idiots? No. Arrogant and smug? Yes.

That's EXACTLY what happened. Cuban & Nelson immediately targeted Parsons after he was made a RFA.

The Rox believed as did most everyone else that Parsons' value was in the $8M-$12M range. Cuban & Nelson's strategy all along was to make him an offer that would be very difficult for Houston to match. Which they did. Unless Rosas was sitting in on those meetings with Cuban, there is no way he knew what was going down as did Morey.

It's known as a mistake in judgement.

Well, I'm glad that you can see this "plan" but even so, most of us are plenty skeptical about whether or not Morey's continued star chasing will ever bear fruit. And I'd hold off on that "genius" tag for Morey at least until he manages to put together a team that can get out of the first round of the playoffs.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

And as far as Ariza being Plan A, yea he was Plan A in the event that Parsons COULD NOT (not WILL NOT) be retained after letting him go into free agency.

Part of being a strategist is to have contingency plans in case your desired outcome does not come into fruition and that was what Ariza was for Morey, a contingency plan.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[rquoter]Here is how it would work;

The Asik - Ariza trade would still go down as per usual, so we would have Ariza + the NOP lottery pick.

We would sign and trade Parsons to Dallas for a $15m trade exception.

The Rockets would then have a lottery pick AND a $15m trade exception to go after their third star. [/rquoter]

So Morey's master plan requires Cuban doing the Rockets a solid?

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I make a "Morey's going about this wrong" thread and get privelages revoked. But these idiots keep making these "Morey's the greatest GM ever" threads with no consequence? Moreyfans.net?

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

Not at all, because Rockets have the right to match, working with the Rockets on a Sign-and-trade takes away the threat of Rockets matching the offer, so actually Parsons being a RFA helps Rockets get a Trade Exception.

If Parsons was an UFA, then Cuban would have no incentive to create a TPE.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

You don't see the difference between attacking or belittling someone and praising or defending them? Yes, they're both opinions but I distinctly remember your post containing not so subtle jabs and basically inferred that our front office is incompetent.

I read both threads as objectively as I could. I honestly tend to agree more with the "Morey made a mistake" side regarding Parsons, but even so I would say this OP made a more convincing argument than you did. It's not always about the content of an argument, it's how it's presented that can make all the difference. (LOL, U r dumb, Morey suks, OMG Daryl is smrtr than U!) et al.

OP makes some interesting points though. It was like looking back at those comments made by players all year long that we assumed were bad mojo aimed at Harden. With the Parsons stuff coming to life, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know until after the fact.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't believe that the Rockets would be so haphazard in letting an asset like Parsons go into RFA without a good gauge of the market value. The rockets have never let any RFA go without either matching in it's entire history.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It's a waste of time trying to determine what the machinations behind the scene were, we know the final result. Our starting five is pretty much the same, our bench got markedly worse (or at least until we find out what we have in Dorsey, Canaan and Johnson). Dallas wasted a max slot on a guy that might never see an all star game, hell he's not even the best forward on his team. We maintained our flexibility going forward.

There's no need to whitewash it, there are good aspects to the decision making but there were definitely negatives too. Muarie's only saving grace at this point is doing something with his coveted flexibility. I think he's certainly capable of doing that, but it sucks to know that even with two star players but we're still kinda stuck in limbo again in the Western Conference.

1 person likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

Why is it haphazard when:

1. No one would have anticipated Parsons getting $14+ million a year offer by looking at what he's done in the NBA up until now. NO ONE.

2. Matching him meant that you just committed elite-player money to a non-elite player when you could find a better-than-average replacement at about half the cost?

3. The Rockets probably had a dollar amount in mind for Parsons IF they could have secured Melo or Bosh.

If Bosh signed with Houston then retaining Parsons at $14 million would have been a luxury Morey could justify. Since Bosh didn't sign, retaining Parsons at $14 million is, logically, unjustifiable.

If you're going to a top shelf steak house you're going to fork over $12-$14 bucks for that side of mashed potatoes. If you're going to outback steakhouse I highly doubt you're going to be able to justify paying that much for ANYTHING not steak.

10. trugoy

trugoy Member

Sorry this is just wishful thinking, the only people that thought Parsons was in the $8m-$12m range was uninformed.

Gordon Hayward who is Parson's closest comparison this free agency was matched at $16m, that means there was at least 2 teams that wanted to pay him $16m per year. I think most observers would agree that Parsons and Hayward would both be in the same salary brackets.

What you are saying is that the Rockets are so incompetent that they didn't see that there was at least 3 teams in the NBA that would pay $16m per year for someone of Parson's skillset/position/age.

Sorry, but the Rockets are not that incompetent.

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

These are some reasons why I lean towards Morey just miscalculated and undervalued the market (Dallas) for Parsons. When something completely unexpected like the Heyward signing happens, it throws a massive wrench into the works. Previous plans gets blown right out of the water. It's not a matter of being incompetent or savvy.

Now whether or not there were backup plans in place, or the intent was "A" or "B" all along can be debated till the cows come home. It's not quite football season yet!

12. trugoy

trugoy Member

I disagree, Gordon Hayward and Parsons both got the same amount per year, at least 3 teams were prepared to pay this amount.

I think most agree that Hayward and Parsons were in the same salary bracket even before free agency began.

If the Rockets were competent at all, they would've known the market, especially since the teams that offered the contracts are not known as "incompetent" front offices, especially Jazz and Mavericks who both have good front offices.

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Why isn't it glaringly obvious that declining Parsons' option a year early was part of an agreement made when Dwight signed? Everyone knows they share an agent, and everyone knows how shrewd Fegan is. Even Zach Lowe reported that people were pretty sure that this was the case.

Would you rather have Dwight and Ariza, or Parsons and Asik? Parsons was out of his contract the minute Dwight signed, to believe otherwise is naive.

14. steddinotayto

Morey might have miscalculated Parsons' value but that wasn't entirely his fault. Who in the NBA world could have seen Charlotte throwing the kitchen sink at Hayward? Exactly.

What happened with Hayward started the domino effect for everything else that pertained to Parsons.

Morey followed the expected trend and value system but got burned by the outlier. Should we fault him for that?

Look at it this way:

Lance Stephenson turned down a bigger total deal from the Pacers and ended up with a smaller deal with Charlotte

Greg Monroe wanted max money and turned down $12 million a year from Detroit and will end up signing just a qualifying offer

Eric Bledsoe wanted max money and is still waiting on a contract

These are things that happen every offseason and Morey went with those trends and probably came to the conclusion that he could have brought Parsons back at a reasonable ($10-12 million a year) contract. Of course it took a ridiculous offer from Charlotte to change all that.

15. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't think the Rockets would ever do this, it goes against the CBA, if this ever got discovered by the NBA, the Rockets risk having Dwight's contract cancelled by the NBA and fined draft picks.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You and me are in the same page for this. Lowry is my no1.option at the beginning. Getting Lowry and keeping Parson would make this team to be very good. No having Bosh may be a good thing for the rockets, some clutchfans do not like Melo either, likely having Bosh or Melo on the team just make the team to be looking good, but you do not have any deep, and Parson will be gone too even if the rockets could have Bosh although the rockets keep saying they would keep Parsons if they had Bosh, but I just do not think so.

17. steddinotayto

You're speaking in terms of hindsight.

Back in May did you think Gordon Hayward would have even sniffed close to $14 million a year given the lackluster season he had? If you say yes then I really want to know why you're not the Rockets GM already.

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

Hayward did not get a ridiculous offer, Charlotte offered it and the Jazz matched it. Cleveland would also have made a max offer if Lebron did not go.

So at least 3 teams would've offered the max to Hayward.

19. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24604663/report-cavaliers-set-to-offer-gordon-hayward-63m-max-deal

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/30/report-suns-may-offer-a-max-contract-to-gordon-hayward-but-jazz-plan-on-matching/

Hayward getting a max offer is the easiest thing in the world to predict.

Cavs, Suns and Hornets were all going to make a max offer, and the Jazz was going to match up to the max.