1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey is still a genius - or how Houston's free agency unravelled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Like Delfino didn't play PF?

2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

A few points I'd like to add and a few questions.

- I believe that Morey thought there was a chance that Parsons would receive a max offer, this would have been a factor in his decision making.

- I believe that Morey thought there was a chance at landing a max free agent (Bosh/Melo/Lebron), this would have been a factor in his decision making.

- I believe Morey's 1st plan was to let Parsons into RFA, land a max free agent then match whatever Parsons was offered (Morey himself infact said this very thing in his press conference after he didn't match the offer).

- I believe Morey's backup plan that he had in motion all along was Ariza for in the event that the Max free agent didn't come AND Parsons signed a max offer sheet that he could take this route and still keep flexibility. I believe that if Parsons was offered a 12million and we didn't get a max free agent then he would still be a Rocket, and perhaps traded in the future for a max player.

- I also believe that Parsons agent also being Dwight's agent had a part to play in him being made a RFA.

Questions:
    - We went after Lowry even though we were pursuing other free agents. Is Lowry better than Dragic? Who would you prefer?

- Lowry/Ariza or Lowry/Parsons or Dragic/Ariza or Dragic/Parsons ?
    I'd prefer Dragic/Ariza purely for fit. Dragic is a better play maker than Lowry and if we keep Beverley, he can be the pitbull we need. I prefer Ariza over Parsons due to the 3 point % and much better defence.

1 person likes this.
  3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Eh. I'd say sports teams in general do not have GM's that are that smart. The "smart" GM's such as Daryl Morey and Sam Hinkie are few and far in between.

4. New

Ariza is not a play maker. I am guessing Mchale will always keep one of HH on the court next season.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Making a thread on why you still think Morey is a genius sounds like you are very well insecure about this.

6. New

He is the scapegoat. Now he is gone and the craziness continues... We did terrible this offseason and labeling parsons/Asik/Lin as scrubs is the popular denial mode.

7. New

The only reason he traded Lin was to clear space for Bosh, not because it did not work last season. Actually last year's backcourt 3-man rotation worked out very well. Our bench sucked because other positions sucked at both offense and defense.

Ariza is not going to play better. Slightly better numbers because of harden.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Attacking? Wow lol. Just go ahead and say it, theres more die hard Morey fans on here than actual Rocket fans. Who knows? Maybe Morey has his staff posing as posters or something. But if simply calling a GM mediocre, who's playoff success reflects that, is "attacking" then you guys are clearly not in touch with reality. Theres a reason almost NOBODY around the league agrees with you. This thread is proof regardless of wins & losses, you guys will NEVER hold Daryl Morey fully accountable. You'd rather blame Les, Mchale, Cuban etc..before you criticize the one actually running the team. What happened to all the Rocket fans here?

9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

This is all plausible except, they still had two days to match Parsons and trade him to Dallas or whoever.

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Please don't look at my sig. OK go ahead and look.

Now please answer this question (and I assume you won't actually KNOW the answer but I'd like you to give me your thoughts):

why would anyone be a fan of Daryl Morey? Why would I be a fan of Daryl Morey? I wonder why anyone would hold be a fan of a GM?

All rhetorical questions of course because I already know the answer. I'm a fan because I like what I see from him. If I didn't like what I see I wouldn't be a fan. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

I'm not a fan because I was born loving Daryl Morey. I'm a fan because I think he's good at what he does. I have a hard time wanting to trade him for any other GM in the game other than Popovich.

Who would you rather be the GM? Where would you look? I would sincerely like to know because I'm open to suggestions.

One more thing. If the Rockets fired him tomorrow or he took another job I would still wake up the next morning, put my pants on (both legs at the same time), and pull on my "3 the Harden Way" t-shirt. I would still dress my 2 year old in Rockets gear. I would still take my wife to the Rockets game for our anniversary.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You make the most nonsensical arguments.

1 guy makes a thread. SOME people agree and to you that equals everybody loves Morey. They don't blame him for anything.

More Morey fans than rockets fans? Seriously come on

You most likely lost privileges because you spammed your opinion all over the place and called people stupid or idiots for thinking Morey has done a good job.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Even if the rockets could have Bosh, he is a $21M guy who is not a superstar, old and soft. But the fact is that a chance to have him was never higher than that reported by BSPN. With that money, the rockets could have Lowry and keep Parsons if this is a plan at the beginning. Now everything is past, you just have to deal with what you got. Morey is still a genius? Hello, no, but he is bad, no way, he is still the top GM since he helped the team to get Harden and Howard. We will see what he can do next, likely it would be very hard to get a very good player anymore.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Black Swan Event.

15. rogower

rogower Member

I strongly disagree with the OP's premise. The reason is simple. Houston could have traded Chandler Parsons prior to the draft for a first round pick, possibly even a lottery pick. Yes, a massive $15 mil TPE for Parsons would have been nice, but a first round pick would have been MUCH more valuable. Thus, the fact that Parsons was not traded prior to the draft for a 2014 (or even a 2015 or beyond) first round pick tells me that Morey intended to keep Parsons.

I advocated for this move (Parsons for a 2014 or beyond first round pick, on or shortly befote draft day) for the entire 2013-14 season. Obviously this was the optimal move.

Also, while Trevor Ariza is an upgrade over Parsons, not trading Parsons for a draft pick was still a big mistake, one of Morey's biggest ever.

16. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Actually, I think the TPE is more valuable. Without the TPE, there is no way for us to match salaries with another star caliber player who makes 15m+ and unless you are getting a superstar with a late lottery pick, it is definitely not better than the TPE IMO.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Unravelled?

He replaced Chandler Parsons with a slightly better and more cap friendly Trevor Ariza

Traded an expiring Omer Asik for a likely pick in the 8-12 range, that will be very valuable if they keep it or if they use it in a future deal.

Traded Lin and a late first rd pick to clear up cap space to try and hit another homerun with Bosh. This trade doesn't improve the team but the TPE can either in taking on a bigger contract or for a player being bought out.

The only thing is he didn't hit a homerun. But so what. Hardly a disaster.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

Considering how every else has responded to this, do you still believe there are Morey fans that aren't Rocket fans? I've criticized Morey. I've criticized McHale. Harden? Yep. I'm a fan at heart but I try my best to be objective and still support the team.

And how does a six game playoff performance directly reflect on the GM? Looking back I saw a cap strapped team that was struggling mightily to even MAKE the playoffs. Now I see a team with two legit stars, winning 50+ games in a stacked conference. Yes, they lost in disappointing fashion last year. But sure, let's judge the management based on six games instead of a larger, multiple year sample. GM is about building a team. Considering where we were a few years ago I think he's done a good job. If we don't keep improving then it's time to reevaluate.

But your comments are almost always negative, pointing out flaws in why something is bad. You're either trolling or you really believe you're the only "honest" person "keeping it real". Here's a thought: You can be a fan without spewing negativity.

Honestly. Someone that is a fan of a GM of a team and nothing else? I don't think I've ever heard that. But I guess you know the opinion of everyone else around the league so who I am to argue?

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

What arguments are nonsensical? Daryl Morey's more mediocre than great? The fact he's only got us to the 2nd round ONCE since 2006? They may be nosensical to YOU, but you are obviously bias (as is 75% of the posters on here)

Losing privelages for stating my opinion on this board? Isn't that what a message board is for? Aren't you doing the same thing? Lol. Or maybe my opinion (even though closer to truth) isn't popular among posters on here. If so, I don't care. Results are results. The only thing you judge a good or bad GM, PERIOD

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

So, in your estimation (and in a vacuum), a GM that gets his team to the playoffs is mediocre at best, unless they advance?

What about a GM that inherits a team that was a consistent bottom dweller, and improves them to a +.500 team?

How about if a GM inherits a championship team and loses in the second round the next year?

You just can't look at the bottom line all the time. Results are not compiled in a vacuum. Some coaches look great because of their players. Some players look great because of their coaching. GMs and owners fall under this assessment too. Personally I hold McHale as the most accountable for this team.