1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How is he an upgrade over Beverley? They're comparable defenders, but Beverley is a significantly better shooter.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Rondo is an elite point guard.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not based on his shooting percentages...

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You didn't answer the question. For the Rockets, how is Rondo an upgrade over Beverley?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

True enough - if we get the broken-down Rondo that barely showed up last year, it's a huge downgrade.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Who averages less than 3 assists per game. As the starting point guard.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, and I know Harden demands the ball, but even so....

Starting point guard. 2.7 assists per game.

But then again, I guess the question is, does this work in our "system" (ball-dominant 2-guard)? Or can we take the plunge and get a better pg?

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Listen, if you'd prefer to have Bev be the PG of your team, ok. I'm not going to change your opinion and you won't change mine. No biggie.

9. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

Wtf are we really debating if Rondo > Bev?

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

You're not gonna think its so stupid when you see rondo bricking wide open 3's or sagging of rondo to double team harden. Or when teams do hack a rondo.

You see, there's this thing called chemistry, which means player's games have to fit within an offense.

With that being said, rondo could fit on this team if the rockets ran a more structured offense that involves harden moving off the ball. Unfortunately, We have not seen any indication of that happening with Mchale coach.

As it stands right now, the offense is basically a glorified pick up game/pick n roll simplified offense.

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Hey, if we could get Rondo and STILL have Beverley? You would be a full not to make that deal. The team would be legit at the 1, 2, 4 and 5 if we were to get Bosh and had to give up Parsons and TJ. I would hate to see either of those 2 go but we would quickly forgot when we are cheering at the top of our lungs throughout each game. Can you imagine the highlight reels on the Rockets? There would be more tape than anyone could possibly use in a night. You'd probably have to play nearly half the game.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'll take last years Rondo over the Pg's we have on this team.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Love is damn good but to call him automatically better than Howard and Harden if he gets here is a stretch.

He is a stat padder of sorts, a great rebounder and a great scorer but plays below average defense. To be honest, the Dwight we saw in the playoffs is a top 5 player in this league. K Love is not.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If you know Harden dominates the ball, why are you criticizing Beverley's low assist numbers?

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Teams might sag off Rondo, but they aren't going to regularly double off of him like he's some scrub.

Teams don't do a whole lot of doubling in the NBA anyways. Yeah you'll get it at times. But if they double off of Rondo, he's good enough to get the ball and get to the rim and get the defense scrambling/draw defenders to stop his drive and find the open man.

As far as Hack a Rondo, so what? We already have Hack a Dwight....What's the difference between them hacking dwight and hacking Rondo? More options? Who cares...they are going to hack someone anyways...

The positives that Rondo brings far outweigh the negatives he has.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Being able to sag off a player is a big deal. The last time Rondo was in the playoffs, Lebron guarded Rondo, sagged off him, and forced him to shoot jumpers. Remember how that turned out?

That's not even remotely close to being true. He hasn't proven himself to be fully healthy, he's a horrible shooter, and he's previously feuded with Doc Rivers and Ray Allen. What positives outweigh those glaring negatives?

18. i3artow i3aller

19. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Are you kidding?

He's the best pure PG in the league behind cp3...the way he can orchestrate an offense.
    Don't look at his stat sheet, the guy makes your team better period

20. Chamillionaire

Wrong thread?