1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People get stuck on stupid here way too much, you guys wanna know how many 3's Rondo takes a game? His career average is 0.8 a game. You guys can sit here and yell "spacing spacing he can't shoot he can't shoot!!" All you want...

But realize that when Harden or Howard is doubled by Rondo's man, Rondo will not just stand 2 feet behind the three point line like an idiot clapping his hands like he's going to jack up a 25% three point shot like all of clutchfans is imagining. He's a extremely smart player, if you guys don't know. He's actually going to do what he's done his whole career, find a hole in the D and cut to the basket for a layup, or run to the elbow for a mid ranged jumper.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You didn't post anything that proved otherwise. Your data was from prior to his torn ACL. Unless you think Rondo is currently at his 2012-2013 level, your data is irrelevant.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's not being obtuse. It's being realistic. Once the defense collapses on a player, the ball is passed around until someone gets an open shot, and that shot is generally a 3 pointer. That's how all offenses are structured, not just ours.

At some point, Rondo will be forced to take that open shot, and he'll likely miss.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yes...He was forced to take so many 3 pointers in Boston.

How did they ever manage to win a championship with such a terrible PG.

Listen, I'm checking out of this debate. It's nonsensical and asinine. You line up Rondo, Beverly and Lin and ask yourself "If you are looking to win a title next year, which PG would you choose?"

I'll take My Dwight, Harden, Rondo lead team vs. your Dwight, Harden, Bev lead team.

5. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Why are you guys talking about Rondo?
    Is he rumored to be on the Rockets radar?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why would Rondo miss a mid range jumper or a layup? He's not going to take the 3, period. He doesn't shoot 3's. He has a career average of 0.8 attempt's a game. He will cut to the basket or pull up for the mid range shot, and his fg%'s on those type of shots are excellent.

7. betterhomesbytj

With Morey EVERYONES on our radar

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

B/c he played a limited role (compared to his current role in Boston) in 2008 and they had Pierce/Garnett/Allen who were all slightly past their prime.

I'd choose Beverley since he complements Harden/Howard better and his cheap salary would allow the team to acquire better players.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a pg who can hit open 3's? By passing on the open 3, you allow the defense a chance to recover.

Also, is ~45% on midrange jumpers considered an "excellent percentage"?

Basically, you have to ask yourself "what skillset does Rondo bring to the table that isn't already covered by Harden or Beverley, and is that skillset worth an extra $12mm (difference in salary between Beverley & Rondo)?"

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes 45% is absolutely excellent? Do you not know the averages on mid range shots?

Here is what Rondo brings IMO, I posted this a few pages back.

"I remember clear as day after watching Hardens second game as a Rocket (45 points against hawks) thinking that there was no way in hell that he could keep up that style of play. Where he just gets handed the ball and is asked to create everything out of nothing. You can't have one player single create and score everything every night, it will exhaust him physically and mentally. That's exactly what the rockets do, Harden doesn't run our offense, Harden IS our offense. Picking up Howard did give us a little variety on offense, as you saw in the playoffs, dump the ball to Howard in the post, but still that's not much of a offense either, it's just iso fter iso, drive and kick, post and kick.

Rondo fixes damn near everything, if forces Harden into the role of a off ball scorer, where he can be much more efficient, actually having plays drawn for him, he won't have to rely on drawing fouls anymore and most importantly - won't have to exert nearly as much energy on offense! Which means much better defense, less injuries and a longer career. That's exactly what we want! Lets not forget how Rondo helps our other star, Howard. Howard isn't much of a post scorer, he rely's on his athleticism to beat his man, so in order for him to score he needs to get the ball quickly when there's a miss match or hole in the defense. This year we saw every game, plenty of times where Howard was open or demanding the ball with a opportunity for him to score. Only for the defense to regroup or double him by the time we could get him the damn ball, leading him into a turnover or contested shot. That's if we could even get him the ball at all, many times we just passed him up or even turned over the ball. Rondo fixes this, he can get Howard the ball where he needs it when he needs it, no hesitation, no missed opportunity. Rondo's passing ability will just flat out enhance Howard on offense, more pick and rolls, more lobs, more passes in the paint.

How Rondo helps the team as a whole, as you mentioned, he controls the tempo and the shots we take, I don't even need to stress why this is important. He will enhance our team even more with scoring on fast breaks, with his quickness and passing ability. He allows us to run more cuts and alley oops with his passing ability, he will always find the open guy. He will really help us cut down on turnovers, a MAJOR problem we had last year. Also, who else hated seeing Harden iso dribble at the top of the key for 21 seconds just to see Harden dish it to Parsons or Lin who were forced to take contested 3 at the end of the shot clock? No more of that BS, with Rondo would take the ball out of Hardens hand and properly set up our 3 point shooter, leading to them having a higher 3pt%.

That's just how Rondo helps us offensively, not to mention one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I'm not going to even go into it, just know Rondo is noticeable upgrade overall Beverley defensively"

11. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Yes, actually (46.8% rounds up to 47% BTW) that is elite. For reference Dirk, the best midrange shooter in the game shot 50.6% last year. While LaMarcus Aldridge shot 42.6%.

1 person likes this.
  12. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I think step. curry was around 48%

13. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And 46.4% rounds down to 46%. And 46.4% is what he shot last season.

In any case, Beverley shooting a 3 pointer is preferable to Rondo shooting a mid-range jumper.

15. rullrich

rullrich Member

[​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The funniest thing about if the Rockets "landed" Rondo would be that Rondo and Howard could have funny free throw contests where they were both beat by mascots or random teenage fans from the crowd.

Having a center who shoots 55% from the FT line is kind of bad, having a PG that shoots 57% from the FT line is tragic. Having both at the same time is comedy gold.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol, and 46% is still excellent you know?

"Yeahhhh, I'ma just go ahead and round the percentage a point lower and pretend like I wasn't wrong. Also, who cares if Rondo is an amazingly elite passer, rebounder, defender and mid range shooter, he still don't shoot 36% from 3 like my boi Pbev doe."

1 person likes this.
  18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

you are aware that 45% from the field for a guard is a good percentage right?

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm referring to last year's Rondo. I think I see your problem. You are referring to the 2009 Rondo.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

First of all, you're assuming that Rondo is playing at his pre-acl-tear level. Do you really think that's a fair assumption?

Do the math. What's better....46.4% from 2 pt range or 36.1% from 3 pt range?

Also, the effectiveness of Rondo's passing would be mitigated b/c he'd be the 3rd option on offense. His rebounding numbers would fall b/c he'd be playing with Dwight. And at this point, you can't say that Rondo is a better defender than Beverley.

Sorry, he's simply not worth an additional $12mm.