1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Spears) Rockets interested in Lionel Hollins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, May 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

LOFs just can't stop shifting the blame from Lin onto McHale. Lin had two plays that cost two games in that series. McHale wasn't the problem.

2. coffeelover665

Why the hard on for Lin? You don't blame role players for losses. Mario Chalmers had the ****tiest stat sheet in the playoff arguably and he gets less flak then wade and bosh. Why? Because he's a role player. Just like in Houston, the franchise demands more from our franchise player. Harden was a no show for 3 games.I promise you if this was T-Mac, he'd get ripped a new one and we'd see a 4-5 new thread every hour from our favorite T-Mac lover. So what if Lin messed up that one play? Last I checked, basketball is played for 48 minutes, not 5 or 0.9 seconds.

3. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Lin gets crapped on because his fans don't portray him as a Mario Chalmers caliber player. They put him on a pedestal much higher than that.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

Why is it "such a lie"? Because it doesn't fit the popular narrative that "since the Rockets score a lot of points then they obviously don't play any defense"?
    Here's an idea: Instead of accusing the numbers of lying perhaps we should first examine the validity of aforementioned narrative.
    It does not hold up under scrutiny.

The numbers reveal that the Rockets' reputation as an offensive force belied the fact that they were a consistently strong defensive team most of the season and particularly so after the All-Star break when the team began to hit its stride.
    That, of course, was disrupted when the team lost its two best individual defenders and the de-facto defensive coordinator (Sampson) during the final month of the season.

This is not to suggest that the team doesn't need some obvious improvement on the defensive end, it's just to point out that they weren't the doormats some of you have been led to believe.

5. Fantasma Negro

Cavs job is filled. He ain't getting the Laker job, Hollins needs to swallow his pride and take the assistant job, head coach by committee

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he could also just work for espn this year and not coach. i'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm not sure how another year out if coaching will help his chances for the following season. If nothing else presents himself then why not take the Rockrts job? If we improve significantly on defense that will only help his chances.

8. Fantasma Negro

Well said

9. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

It was no coincidence that the grizzlies under Hollins led the the NBA in allowing only 88.7 ppg with Marc Gasol becoming defensive player of the year in 2012-2013.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/24/grizzlies-marc-gasol-named-kia-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Coach Hollins should jump on this Opportunity for Greatness as his arrival will have a cumulative effect on the Rox. With more defensive leadership, H-Town instantly becomes a more attractive place to play for marquee & desirable free agents...

What better timing then now ????

Worst case scenario on a one year contract, if Hollins does what he specializes in:

The Rox with some additions will be Contenders. In the highly unlikely circumstance that they don't advance deep, then he will contend for the head coaching gig with H-Town next year :cool:

#229 djperm, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

My prediction: Houston announces hiring of Hollins a couple of hours after Carmelo officially opts out of his contract tomorrow.

11. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

hoooooooooooooooooooo

12. Mr Chuck Norris

This is what i'm thinlking too.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I hope so. This is a "detail move" and the reason the Rockets underachieved last year was a lack of attention to detail.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the lakers aren't going to pick a head coach, so hollins won't really consider accepting our offer until then

15. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

as long as McHale is head coach nothing is going to change.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

a lot of coaches take a few years off, call some games on tv and get hired again. just look at all the coaches that have ever worked for espn...

espn offer's coaches a national audience. all gm's are listening to their ideas at the same time. it's one big job interview. it would increase in options... but are there better options than the rockets? i think not.

1) we can offer way more money. this one is up to les. i say pay him a HC salary and give him a 3-4 year deal.

2) working for espn might land him a HC spot next year. so would being an assistant for the rockets next year since they will probably not resign mchale.

3) the rockets are probably the most talented team looking for a new HC after mchale is not resigned. best opportunity to coach a contender.

in short: money, opportunity to become a HC, opportunity to win are all here. the only reason he won't take it is if les low balls him and offers an assistants salary instead of a HC salary.

17. Fantasma Negro

Yeah he interviewed for the Lakers job so he's not doing anything until they announce their new HC, which won't be Hollins. He needs to swallow his pride and take rockets job and prove how effective he can be

18. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Besides Hollins, McFail needs another Associate Head Coach for offense system. LOL

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why should a well respected, quality coach like Hollins swallow his pride and be assistant to a clueless, incompetent joke of a coach like McHale who is an embarassment to the Rockets and one of the 3 worst NBA coaches?

Makes no sense from Hollins standpoint to play second fiddle to one of the worst coaches in the league currently and one of the 10 worst headcoaches in the history of the NBA in McHale.

Hollins may as well bide his time and wait for a good head coaching gig and believe me, there will be teams calling him.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sometimes I wonder if there's logic to how people think. Let's put it another way. If you are searching for a job and two companies will hire you. Which would you take?

Job 1: A job where your supervisor is a new shotshot guy with a fresh $25mil 5 year contract, and golf buddy with the owner. And that your predecessor brought about top-3 (in this case defense) so anything less than that means you're a failure.

or...

Job 2: A job where your supervisor is old, on the last year of his contract, and generally deemed a failure with no connections to the owner. Meaning you have a direct path to promotion because there's likely no one in your way after one year. And your predecessor brought about only average results(Rockets 12th in defense last year). Meaning anything above average means you are a success.

Why any sane person would think Job 2 sucks is beyond me.