1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Hell does Oprah get a Presidential Medal of Freedom??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Dei

Dei Member

Yes, it is. Thank you.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I respect dei's honesty:

The conservatives are irked that there's a black man in the White House.

They refocus everything on race because they perceive that the president manipulated his way into the presidency because of his race.

But no one answered the other part of the question: why do they then dismiss his blackness?

3. ILoveTheRockets

So, black men that commit horrendous acts of violence is just racism putting them there...sure thing buddy

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now this is something worthy of discussion.

That presumes that the Justice System is perfect and free from racial bias when a lot of evidence points the other way. For example:
    http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/Racial_Bias_in_the_Justice_System.php

[rquoter]Nearly 70 percent of the 242 people exonerated by DNA testing to date are people of color. These exonerations have spotlighted racial bias in the criminal justice [/rquoter]

As I mentioned in another thread just because I don't believe that racism exist everywhere, such as pro-sports, it does still exist and still has profound affects in many in this society.

5. ILoveTheRockets

I am in no way saying the justice system is flawed, but if you think thousands upon thousands of people are innocent, would you be interested in some beach front property in Arizona?

6. ILoveTheRockets

I mean Is Not Flawed.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it wasn't saying that 70% were innocent. It was saying that 70% of those that were proven to be innocent of the crime of which they were convicted by DNA testing, were of color. So it does show that people of color are wrongly convicted possibly more than whites.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You're making an awful lot of assumptions here....buddy.

If you actually believe that there aren't racist outcomes in the criminal justice system, you are delusional and refusing to look at the facts of the situation.

9. ILoveTheRockets

Its not an assumption, it is a fact that if caught committing a horrendous crime people go to jail, black-white-hispanic-asains.

what you are saying is that the thousands that in fact did commit a crime are only guilty because racism exist. which is absurd...buddy

70% of 242 people, what about the other few thousand that are or have been convicted and rightfully so.

like I said. I know the justice system isn't perfect, but it does in fact do justice in a lot of cases that deserve it.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Names like that typically get jumped on rather quickly if they are qualified. Most companies are always trying to appear more diverse in the public eye.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, there are most likely thousands that are in jail for something they didn't commit.

I think you're misunderstanding the point. The study was of 242 people who were convicted but evidence proved later that they were actually innocent. 70% of those innocent people were people of color. Given those facts it's logical that people of color get wrongly convicted more than whites.

If people are rightly convicted it doesn't apply to that study.

12. GladiatoRowdy

I never said anything of the like, you are making **** up in your head and attributing it to me, stop.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You seem very angry lately.

14. GladiatoRowdy

Well, it isn't very pleasant to have people make **** up and claim that you said it when you said no such thing. Stop making **** up and I am unlikely to get angry at all, exhibit some intellectual and actual honesty for a change.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Burden of proof is on you to establish the racist linkage. You haven't done that, but have chosen instead to name call and curse.

16. GladiatoRowdy

You sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "I can't hear you" doesn't prove a lack of linkage, it proves your willful ignorance. There is so much evidence of racism in this country, from its inception to present day, that it isn't up to me to prove that racism exists, it would be up to the deniers to prove that it has ended. Hint: just having elected a black president (especially given the "half-black" and other racist comments by you and other conservatives) does NOT prove that racism is a thing of the past.

17. bigtexxx

and yet you're unable to provide that evidence here?

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The link is established through your posting history. Use your post as a small sample size and it's evident that America still has a problem. :)

19. bigtexxx

more accusations and slander yet you can't offer any proof.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

here