1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Hell does Oprah get a Presidential Medal of Freedom??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Nov 20, 2013.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Errr, are you serious?

2. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

woow...this quote is full of dumb

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Now see? This is where the conversation should be.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Thanks, rookie. :)

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The award isn't the Medal of Honor. It's a pat on the back kind of award. Plenty of people have won it who have done less than Oprah.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Absolutely. Your data clearly shows this country is rotten and is out to punish law abiding black folks.

We should really have an Affirmative Action-ish structure implanted in the justice system to help the black community. Black men should rightfully serve significantly less sentence than his peers for the same crimes, it's the only way to be fair.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you kidding?

What mounds of evidence of racial profiling? You speak as if most of the black people going to prison is due to the color of their skin and not their crime. I am not saying race NEVER plays a factor, but its not the predominant reason....its not even close.

You want mounds of evidence for poverty? How about I provide you with common sense.
    Who do you think is more likely going to get sentenced? The guy who can afford a $20,000 attorney or the guy who gets a court appointed attorney? Nuff said.

Never mind that poor people are more likely to commit crimes.

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize how insignificant the award actually is. I guess she deserves congratulations? I don't know. Carry on.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you have no evidence, is that right?

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

'O'prah... 'O'bama... duh.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This.

12. Katsu

Katsu Member

[​IMG]

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its heaping just as much as yours.

So let me ask you this again. If every black person was given $20,000 for legal funds and everyone else was given court appointed lawyers, incarceration rates by race would stay the same as they are now?

Don't be a race biting troll. If you want to argue race in conjunction with poverty, thats fine. You have an argument. But the argument that blacks are incarcerated at a higher rate because "5 O" and the justice system is out to get blackie is just plain ignorant.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

America doesn't need affirmative action. Race, in no way, has a major effect on anyone's life post-Great Society.

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/capideas/spring03/racialbias.html

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That doesn't surprise me at all. Have you done job interviews Northside Storm?

Have you ever interviewed Lakeesha? Tanisha?

I'd challenge to talk to people in HR and ask them for their input. Most will admit to bias against names like those, particularly with females. Ask them why.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Are you honestly trying to claim that race isn't a factor?

I agree that poverty is easily as big a factor, but anyone trying to claim that racism is a thing of the past in this country just isn't listening to the data or the African-Americans.

17. GladiatoRowdy

LOL, here is who Bush gave the medal to...

"President Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Tommy Franks, the now-retired Army general who led the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq; former CIA director George Tenet, who told Bush it was a "slam dunk" that Iraq still had weapons of mass destruction; and L. Paul Bremer, who presided over the first 14 months of Iraq reconstruction."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63623-2004Dec14.html

Oprah seems to be a better choice than those three clowns.

18. GladiatoRowdy

No, the way to be "fair" would be to start by making sure that blacks receive EQUAL sentences with whites for the same crime, which doesn't happen now. Blacks get significantly more jail time than whites for the exact same crimes.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

is this thread about Obama, racism, or Oprah?

just her winning the award- it bothers some people SO MUCH and turns into a discussion on half black Obama.

p.s. 16 people received the award yesterday, (not 50) for the 50th Anniversary of such an honor.

congratulations to all the honorees.

20. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Steadman has a fine daughter. I tried to holler at her in austin. She was dating Tre Thomas and was there for summer.